Thread: RB conversion question

Rides

RB conversion question

Have had a look round used search even checked other forums.. no one has answers for my question (probably because no ones been mugged off like me before lol)

My 14a has nothing in its bay apart from ABS block, clutch & brake fluid reservior and servo... what is common between SR and RB in the engine bay? I figured id just copy a stock SR enginr bay and then in a years time convert to RB but if i need to replace everything again whats the point...
    Sooo..
    Steering rack? Engine loom? Etc...

Or would you recommend just going SR and sticking that way as theyre roughly as capable as eachother the only RB pro is the noise

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    if youre going rb just for the noise its probably not worth it...

Rides
    Radiator, slam panel, intercooler pipework, AFM, PAS pump and pipework, gearbox and mount, prop and loom all need to be adapted for an RB conversion. If you use an R33 front subframe the engine bolts to it and the subframe bolts straight onto to an S14. Also the S14 steering rack bolts to the R33 subframe. It's an easy conversion as engine conversions go, but don't do it unless you know what you're doing and why you're doing it
    Work out what power and drivability you're looking for and how much an RB conversion will cost, then compare that to what you could do with an SR for the same money (but with much less hassle!). If you're doing it yourself then bear in mind it'll probably take up 6-12 months of your spare time while the car is off the road. I've been building my car for 3+ years and could have finished it in less than half the time if I'd stuck with the SR. I don't regret it but it's more time that I can't enjoy driving the car.

Rides
    My 14 is a toy anyways i have another daily. I was looking for a skyline project when i got it as it seemed better value for money (didnt realise seller was having my pants down) as it was half the price for an R33 missing engine and gearbox. Ive never driven or even been in a 14 let alone running an SR or RB. My old 13 had a CA. I originally planned putting an SR back in this one because it would br simpler... but with the car coming without an engine, i dont know which of the 634000 varients of SR it should actually have... so i figured with it basically being s blank canvas i could go a bit crazy with it. Granted an RB engine costs as much as an SR and gearbox but atleast i cant get the wrong RB lol

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by chappy View Post
    My 14 is a toy anyways i have another daily. I was looking for a skyline project when i got it as it seemed better value for money (didnt realise seller was having my pants down) as it was half the price for an R33 missing engine and gearbox. Ive never driven or even been in a 14 let alone running an SR or RB. My old 13 had a CA. I originally planned putting an SR back in this one because it would br simpler... but with the car coming without an engine, i dont know which of the 634000 varients of SR it should actually have... so i figured with it basically being s blank canvas i could go a bit crazy with it. Granted an RB engine costs as much as an SR and gearbox but atleast i cant get the wrong RB lol

There's only one variant of an SR20DET for an S14.. easy

Rides
    Ive recently concluded i need a 'black top' which has vvt... is that the one with the slanted end? Hard to tell when people paint the rocker lol
    Also dord it matter if it comes from a 14 or 14a?

Thr hard part is trying to find a good one for good money insteas of a shit one for good money or good one for shit money!

Some of the engines on here are more than i paid for the car. That said i am looking at a potential donor car hopefully this weekend.

Rides
    I have an s14 s1 rb25 conversation in progress.

It all depends on how far you want to go with it. If it's a track only car ditch abs.

If it's an Rb swap into a road car well it all needs to go back in.
    Pas abs lines etc.

How much to RB swap I stopped adding up recipients for sanity purposes.

It does really depend on what bits you throw at it.
    I'm sure you could do it for under 5k + 2k contingency by using an s13 rad and dropping it in, while in stock trim.

Then comes the argument of an SR with 8k or so throwen at it vs a stockish RB.
    You get a lot of Sr plus 8k in mods plus everything fits without modification.

Apt on here or used to be on here do very competitive SR builds.

I can only speak to my situation where I spent on braided steel lines, forward facing plenum, gtx3076, twin scroll setup, injectors ECU, custom prop, wiring harness.. injectors

So it is really down to how much time money and effort you want to chuck at it.

Keep in mind it will never make financial sense if you plan to sell it on.