Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need For Speed 2015 180sx kouki + PS13 + AE86

Rides
    Glad to see you're going to save it man, it was a lovely looking car from what I can see. I'll be following this with interest

Rides
    Ah man, I can't express how excited I am to have found this thread!

Loved your v8 13, saw glimpses of your two tone ps and got excited but never found any write ups about it till now!

Never realised the story behind the fire, tbh I wasn't even aware it was a car of yours! Proper gutting but with a bit of motivation from us Internet ****ers I'm sure it can be returned to its former glory

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Rides
    haha thanks dude, it shall be done im keen to get it on the road better than before. well, i say im keen, these dark damp evenings are taking its toll, i managed to strip out the rad and the aircon but thats about it so far.

Rides
    You've got perseverance for sure, keep going and it will come good. You still in Kent?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidRuston View Post
    You've got perseverance for sure, keep going and it will come good. You still in Kent?
    you know me dude. problem is ive worked on these for years so everything is easy to fix, the 86 is like a massive step backwards. although the weather and the leaky roof in the garage isnt allowing any sort of progress atm yeah im still in kent, bought a place over singleton.

Rides
    Just came across this!

Your car was the spitting image of mine just NA and auto. You make me want a front lip even more now...

You've had some great cars!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreos View Post
    Your car was the spitting image of mine just NA and auto.
    thanks

and this was one of the many reasons i was slow on rebuilding it, "its not a type x so should i just buy one" but now the YEN is so bad on the exchange rate

Rides
    not really done alot, found a fair bit of rust on the ae86 and needed to get my ps13 back on the road quicksmart which means the 180 has unfortunately been neglected but that doesnt mean i couldnt slowly collect a few goodies whilst ive been busy

finally sourced the optional 180sx momo steering wheel with the airbag in tact, its not in the greatest condition but i got it cheap along with the metal footrest so thought it would be worth trying to get it reconditioned.
    The wheel came back from reconditioning yesterday. pleased with the level of work but the colour match is off slightly and its annoying me, the leather is slightly too grey which is looking a little odd with the gloss black centre section. ive asked the guy that did the work if theres anything i can do to darken the leather without damaging the stitching, so heres hoping.

also sourced some bnib kouki lights from the states to replace my slightly melted ones. they came in very cheap, slightly cheaper than a used set over here. i was like a little kid seeing these boxes

the ps needed a fair wack of work. ive gone back to 4 stud and changed the wheels, there is a bit of bodywork damage on the passenger side thats being addressed at the moment.
    Last edited by norfy; 09-06-2017 at 08:53.

Rides
    ive also been playing with powder coating, its actually pretty easy to do yourself. We picked up a Eastwood diy powder coat gun, a small shot blast cabinet using glass bead, and to cure the powder coat you need an old oven. the process is really simple.

i coated my front and rear hub carriers and also the front calipers. was unsure on what colour to go with, wanted something to accent the silver body work but not stand out too much that it cheapened the overall look of the car so i went with purple pearl over a black gloss base.

shot blasting is quite a lot of fun and addictive, but the smaller cabinets are troublesome and im not happy with the amount of dust outside the cabinet

cleaned and mid prep for the powder coating

aluminium and cast steel need to be pre heated in the oven before coating, it was a lengthy process working this out and we wasted a fair bit of powder but i think weve got it now.

base coat

top coat. really pleased with the colour and finish, just got to fit the polybushes in the rear carriers and rebuild the calipers.

Rides
    It's all looking good.

Rides
    This threads been such an emotional rollercoaster, great work mate

Rides
    excellent work mate, better looking finish than most of the powder coating jobs i've seen. That's what always made me think paint was a better finish

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jj205mi16 View Post
    excellent work mate, better looking finish than most of the powder coating jobs i've seen. That's what always made me think paint was a better finish

thanks ive made MANY mistakes to get to a semi decent finish. I prefer paint tbh, get a better finish, but its just the faff of prep and cleaning with the spray gun.

Rides
    I wish I'd bought a diy kit years ago. The amount of project cars I've stripped & out sourced powder coating too is ridiculous. I could have paid my mortgage off by now I reckon.