Thread: Winter Tyres - Public Service Announcement

Rides

Winter Tyres - Public Service Announcement

It's that time of year again - temperatures are regularly into single digits, and the ground is usually colder than that.

Some areas are being hit with snow, ice, and around here huge amounts of rain!

To get the most from your car, be it daily or toy, if you plan to use it through the winter, consider some winter tyres!

The net cost if you keep the car balances out, as you're not wearing your summer tyres down through the winter - and also you're a lot less likely to ruin a tyre by sliding into a kerb.

If you're in any doubt, take a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoHRnmSxJ64
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQFPsSwlkL4

There are many similar videos on Youtube from different tyre brands, but this shows what should be a worst case for most cars, rear wheel drive and hills with snow.

Winter tyres are not just for snow however! *They will clear more water, and grip better in cold and damp conditions due to having different compounds and tread designs which allow them to actually get up to operating temperature. *Your normal summer tyres will not be working as well as they should at the moment, you will notice more wheel-spin or traction control lights coming on as a result - this is in part due to the slippery roads, but also due to the tyres not working so well in these conditions.

Most people will get by, and manage fine, especially if there is no snow - but when the time comes to need to stop or steer round something in an emergency that's when having the right tyres will really pay dividends.

So ends my annual public service announcement - drive safe everybody!

Ben @ Rarerims

Rides
    Well said mate. I think you're right, summer tyres dont cut the mustard in the winter.

I'm planning to get Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons for my daily, won't be as good as dedicated summer/winter tyres but as an all rounder they are very good from personal experience plus they are the fit and forget option

Rides
    I'v got 4 very clean s15 wheels with worn but still usable Yokohama winter tyres, won't fit over my now bigger brakes so if someone want's to buy them, PM me.

Rides
    Ha, immy21 - I guess they came on it when imported? Such a typical trick of either the original owner or the agents, cars arrive on crappy wheels with winter tyres, and they keep the nice ones!

Check the dates on the tyres if you're buying / selling used tyres, I would think even more so with a soft tyre like a winter tyre you'll want it to be under 5 years old so it hasn't got hard and brittle

Rides
    I bought the tyres nearly new from a local farmer. I used them every winter since, 1st on my s14a then on my s15 for the last 4 years or so, mainly for my annual trip to French Alps. They are getting on a bit and could do with changing tbh but wheels don't fit my car anymore.
    The tires done me well.

Last edited by immy21; 22-11-2016 at 17:35.

Rides
    Ahhh, so decent ones then - I remember seeing a thread with that pic in actually! If they got the car in and out of that spot, they're pretty good I would think!

I remember trying to drive a S14a in similar conditions, the road camber defeated it totally.

Rides
    Tbh, it took a little run up and a push hence the dodgy parking.
    They did get me to that car park drama free.
    Having done the trip on summers and winters, the winters are a lot more fun to drive in real cold and poor conditions, they have feel, progression and some grip compared to the edgy nature of summer tyres in freezing conditions.
    Winters recommended from me!

Probably going in cousins car this year so i'm looking for pair of 245 40 17's and 225 40 17 iirc
    Ideally pick up around Norfolk.
    If anyone has some good ones pm me please

Rides
    I can supply new ones if that helps, and courier to where needed?

Rides
    I'l confirm sizes and pm you

Rides
    Most folk in this country dont want to spend decent money on tyres, especially not a proper winter set.

That said i dont need em, i wont go out if its really bad snow and if its just a wee bit slippy its skid time anyway.

Rides
    Budget tyres are evil and should be banned

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider r17t View Post
    Budget tyres are evil and should be banned
    Had arguments with loads of folk here over the years, most point blank refuse to believe that the expensive tyres are better - others maintain that budget tyres are good enough because they dont go fast.

No fecking clue...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Had arguments with loads of folk here over the years, most point blank refuse to believe that the expensive tyres are better - others maintain that budget tyres are good enough because they dont go fast.

No fecking clue...
    no poser points for good tyres thats the problem.

Budget tyres are fine if you live in the middle of no where, no animals, no cars, no childeren, nothing to get in your way, for normal driving budget tyres are dangerous imo

In an emergency the decent ones pay for themselves... I learnt early on in my driving career that budget tyres are a liability, was driving in the wet one time, I started to slow down but suddenly the brakes fully locked up, and I was skidding out of control, tried to pump the brake but it locked each time, didnt hit anything luckily but being out of control like that was not a plesant experience, those tyres were ditched that weekend for good ones.
    Last edited by sx rider r17t; 23-11-2016 at 16:09.