Thread: Best way to replace turbo to manifold studs?

Rides

Best way to replace turbo to manifold studs?

Ok so after sorting the exhaust I now discover 2 of the 4 studs are sheared. They will need drilling out.

Is it best to remove mani with turbo and elbow? Is that the easiest way?

Any ideas? Can't see any alternative.

Thanks, Navi.

Rides
    After a couple of hours of wrestling with this, I figured out the best way is to remove the manifold and turbo and elbow as one unit.

Remove mani from head, disconnect downpipe, disconnect the water and oil lines to turbo and you're more or less there. It's near impossible trying to remove the turbo from the mani in situ.

:-)

Rides
    Oh the joys, this takes me back a year or so to when I was in exactly the same position.
    Just a word of warning those studs basically get heat treated by the turbo so can sometimes be a bitch to get out!
    If there's anything left to grip/weld a nut onto then it'll make your life a lot easier! Mine snapped off recessed into the turbo.
    If you go down the drill it out route I found that the only drills that would touch it where dewalt extreme 2 metal drills, cobalt and Tungsten carbide Mill drill but go steady and don't snap the drills lol.
    Good luck.
    I had a manifold stud sheared off in the block too. Stupid previous owner haha

Rides
    Yep, have since found lots of threads with this issue.

IMO best thing is to remove the mani/turbo/elbow all in one section. I reckon I could do it fairly quickly now lol.

I just wished I had found out about these locking washers designed by Nord-something or other. The physics of it suggests they will prevent the bolts from coming loose caused by the expanding and contracting of the bolts when heated.