Thread: standard size bearings

Rides

standard size bearings

Ok so i am replacing my bearings in the crank and rods for standard size as wear is very minimal
    Do i need to just swop them or do i need to plastigauge it
    Thanks

Rides
    Plastigauge, it will save alot of hasstle in the long run.

Are the bearings shot? Has it been knocking?

Rides
    I suspect the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here.

I guess if you were blueprinting the engine and/or knife edging the crank then it might be worth replacing the shells with new ones even though the old ones weren't shot but if you are thinking of doing it as preventative maintenance, don't bother.

If you must do them, fit standard size shells but match them to the numbers on the crank.

Rides
    Glad i asked the quesion now as i didn't realise they needed matching to numbers on the crank
    Thanks guys

Rides
    Sorry if thi sounds dumb.. so if i am fitting new bearings (acl or king racing) how do i go about matching the numbers from the crank?

Rides
    you don't, the nissan OEM bearings are made to various tolerances rather than the after market ones that are just one size ('standard') - the numbers allow a range of clearances even within the standard size.

to be honest, for the sake of the money for plastigauge, how easy it is to read, you don't need any other special tools and it will show any tapered crank wear or anything, I'd use it regardless.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.