Thread: Can it daily? - Uni Student.

Rides

Can it daily? - Uni Student.

Hi all,

I've been posting normally about things that have gone wrong with my 14a that im trying to daily, i dont have unlimited funds right now as i am a student...

So far ive had shattered gaskets and im currently fixing a heavy engine valve problem.

What im asking is, are these cars unreliable or am i unlucky?

Please hit me with the truth, i need to hear it!

Rides
    Unlucky.

Looked after, they are quite reliable. But a 200sx is an aging car, so keep on top of the maintenance and you'll be grand.

Rides
    I'm a uni student i have a daily zenki. No problems so far and I've owned it for not quite a year yet. Will be drifting it next weekend onwards so hopefully nothing changes.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Rides
    I've been running mine as a daily for best part of 6 years (it was off the road for 2 whilst I sorted the underside of it). Mechanically it has been spot on so I think you have just been unluckly as my engine is coming up to 120k.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by phanos View Post
    Hi all,

I've been posting normally about things that have gone wrong with my 14a that im trying to daily, i dont have unlimited funds right now as i am a student...

So far ive had shattered gaskets and im currently fixing a heavy engine valve problem.

What im asking is, are these cars unreliable or am i unlucky?

Please hit me with the truth, i need to hear it!
    Unlucky I'd say. I've used my Zenki as a daily for over four years. Has over 200000k on it and about the only thing that really let me down was a leaking rad. Kinda my own fault as I over tightened the clip for the top rad hose. Other then general maintenance and the accident with the roo it's been a very good car for a 20 plus year old.
    Last edited by auz200sx; 30-10-2016 at 07:21. Reason: God is not Good

Rides
    They're 20+ yr old cars so if you buy a good one and stay on top of its needs you'll get a good car for little money and reasonable maintenance.

However, there are a lot of neglected and abused cars out there and if you buy the wrong car, they could turn into a money pit.

I'm not talking specifically about 200SXs, its true of most 90s cars.

Rides
    I bought an abused auto.
    Drove it daily for 2 years.

Decided to swap an Rb in when it needed a vvt sprocket as I wanted a manual.

Still though is my second s14
    If minded they are fine.

I would be cautious of modifications, I found almost everything was done wrong on mine.

I really only only wanted as a base anyway.

Rides
    Thank you to everybody for sharing your experiences, hopefully its onward and upwards from here.

Rides
    Daily'd by S14a for 2 years at Uni, no issues. You've just been unlucky.

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Think you've been a bit unlucky. Throughout Uni and the last year or so of working, my S14 is the highpoint of reliability, versus several diesel german piles of crap.

Rides
    I wouldnt run an sx on a budget, not worth it.
    Yeah you could be lucky and have a good one but its a 20yr old car .... lucky is the minority.

Rides
    I dailied mine for a year and it blew up, that was with regular oil changes and a 60k mile engine. Sadly it wasn't very well looked after in the past so the cams were badly worn leading to the oil pump getting scored, and the bottom end ****ing itself

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Rides
    My S14a is about to turn 18 years of age. And I've owned it for pushing on 11 years now and it has been my daily and still is. She also has seen a few road trips to the Ring and back, about 4 track days a year, holidaying all around the country etc. etc. This year is the first year that she had given me any trouble - a failed starter motor and the alarm control acting up on very hot days. So you have been unlucky. They key is maintenance. Regular servicing etc. And like any engine let them come up to temp before trashing them.
    But even when new they were never a budget car. There are a thirsty bitch!