Thread: Brake boosters

Rides

Brake boosters

Hiya guys just after some opinions really as I was never really happy with my brakes. Well the way they felt should I say.

Previous setup was:

S13 abs brake booster (dual diaphragm big boy)
    Z32 bmc 1 1/16 or whatever it is
    Z32 rears
    350z brembos up front

Now when I say the feel of them. Dont get me wrong they stopped the car fine especially compared to running the stocks brakes. But I guess I was expecting them to feel like I hit a wall sort of thing. Obviously you don't want them locking up every 2 seconds but they just didn't feel strong. Is this down to the brake booster as after doing some digging around I've only just today found out the s13 abs brake booster is a dual diaphragm much like the z32 brake booster which isn't popular due to iverboosting the brakes (I know blacktooth swapped out the z32 one for a standard s13/s14 one I believe) any options on this subject would be great

New setup:

At present same brake booster and bmc
    Z32 rears
    Evo brembos front

Haven't tested these brakes yet

Thanks mike

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fikemoo; 26-10-2016 at 12:37.

Rides
    what pads are you using?

I've never bothered 'upgrading' the BMC and the feeling I get from the latest redstuffs is quite nice, good initial bite and not too touchy.

have you removed the ABS - the standard 200sx UK ABS is a bit poo.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    I was using the standard brembo pads and on the new setup I'm going to be using the performance friction z compound. And yes abs is gone

Rides
    My evo brembos with brembo or race pads with z32 rears were amazing. It was with a std s14 bmc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Have you ever adjusted the brake balance?

Rides
    you got a BMC stopper? I found on 13 and 14 makes a noticeable difference like firmer pedal action with a bit less travel
    if you have then try pads as alan suggested before swapping more parts imo
    there are two smaller z32 bore sizes 1" and 7/8 as future options,
    iirc yours is best for bigger fluid capacity calipers like 6/8 pots I found when researching my caliper set up v's BMC bore size
    there are at least two z32 brake boosters/servo's as later usdm auto's got a smaller one but no idea if we got them/easily got hold of
    brake balance is down to BMC f&r piston/bore sizes,unless a bias valve or dual BMC'S are fitted

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by big_mac View Post
    Have you ever adjusted the brake balance?
    Never played with that no

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jon200 View Post
    My evo brembos with brembo or race pads with z32 rears were amazing. It was with a std s14 bmc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to play with my new evo brembos yet as the car isn't on the road. I had these issues with the 350z brembos

Rides
    If you want a brick wall feeling, carbon lorraine pads, take a little bit to get use to but are amazing!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    you got a BMC stopper? I found on 13 and 14 makes a noticeable difference like firmer pedal action with a bit less travel
    if you have then try pads as alan suggested before swapping more parts imo
    there are two smaller z32 bore sizes 1" and 7/8 as future options,
    iirc yours is best for bigger fluid capacity calipers like 6/8 pots I found when researching my caliper set up v's BMC bore size
    there are at least two z32 brake boosters/servo's as later usdm auto's got a smaller one but no idea if we got them/easily got hold of
    brake balance is down to BMC f&r piston/bore sizes,unless a bias valve or dual BMC'S are fitted
    I don't have a bmc stopper no. I have always wanted to put one on as I've heard the bulkhead flexes quite a lot. And I know my z32 bmc is the biggest one you can get and the more I read now it seems to be the opposite that people are using the smaller ones but when I first upgraded my brakes it seemed to be you needed the bigger bmc for bigger brakes but then this is the Internet lol. I believe a non abs s13 has the small thin brake booster I was going to see if I could find one of them as I think my brakes are being over boosted as my abs s13 brake booster is huge like the z32 one

Rides
    I have a BMC for sale, Tomei if interested

Non ABS car though

Rides
    A tomei brake master cylinder?? Never heard of that. And sorry buddy I'm looking for a smaller booster not the cylinder

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Davus200 View Post
    If you want a brick wall feeling, carbon lorraine pads, take a little bit to get use to but are amazing!
    This! Carbone Lorraine pads are amazing, hot or cold.

The pads are just as important as the rest of the setup. Don't run with limp-wristed EBC pads or similar.

Rides
    I have to agree with Andy.
    There is lots of flex in the bulkhead.
    Try a BMC Stopper. I did and was very surprised at the difference in pedal feel.
    Tomei make a BMC Stopper. I suspect this is what Oreos has for sale.
    They aren't cheap new at around £75 and are essentially just a big ally block that straps to your inner wing.
    Depends on how much Oreos wants for it I guess.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by fikemoo View Post
    A tomei brake master cylinder?? Never heard of that. And sorry buddy I'm looking for a smaller booster not the cylinder

I must have been tired yesterday. BMC Stopper is what I meant to say. Jesus