Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 180SX - Stalling at idle ( lean )

Rides

180SX - Stalling at idle ( lean )

Hey guys ,

This is driving me nuts, almost got my 180sx project finished but cant get the bugger to idle so I can get it back on the road.

According to the wide band its going lean at idle then it stalls out. If I keep revving it stops it stalling and the wideband shows it running rich.

Ive searched high and low for any air leaks with loose vac lines or hoses ect and cant find anything, Also tried another MAF but no joy.

Has anyone got any ideas or had a similar problem that could offer advice ?

Cheers

Rides
    What ecu are you running? And have you physically done a leak test rather than a visual check?

Rides
    running lean will only happen between AFM and turbo after turbo will make it run rich, so probably a maximum two clip and two hoses

Rides
    Nistune with a basemap , not sure how to do a leak test ive checked and tightened up all the clamps i could see,

Il take the piping from afm to turbo out and check it again cheers

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Janus View Post
    running lean will only happen between AFM and turbo after turbo will make it run rich, so probably a maximum two clip and two hoses
    ? only on boost?

Any leak at idle will tend to suck extra air and go lean but most of the inlet pipework at idle is at atmospheric pressure. Only real vac is after the throttle. So most likely a small vac hose or part of idle system attached to manifold. Idle air assy 16mm hose to cold pipe before throttle. Air regulator (cold start extra air). Carbon can purge line (the thicker one), FPR/hot start, SR has other vac hoses, egr, 1st/2nd gear boost reduction? Some SR don't have air regulator like CA but uses a wax capsule to open the throttle a touch when cold.

What breather system do you have? If the PCV valve and breathers are not connected to trunk after AFM it will suck un-metered air, that leans it out at idle.

Rides
    Does it behave differently when hot/cold?

The reason I ask is that from memory I understand they have a separate hot/cold idle control cycle through the ECU. Mine used to stall when cold but was fine when hot due to the timing being set incorrectly.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    ? only on boost?

Any leak at idle will tend to suck extra air and go lean but most of the inlet pipework at idle is at atmospheric pressure. Only real vac is after the throttle. So most likely a small vac hose or part of idle system attached to manifold. Idle air assy 16mm hose to cold pipe before throttle. Air regulator (cold start extra air). Carbon can purge line (the thicker one), FPR/hot start, SR has other vac hoses, egr, 1st/2nd gear boost reduction? Some SR don't have air regulator like CA but uses a wax capsule to open the throttle a touch when cold.

What breather system do you have? If the PCV valve and breathers are not connected to trunk after AFM it will suck un-metered air, that leans it out at idle.
    The pipe coming off the rocker that splits into two pipes still has one going to stock canister towards the back that looks like it goes back into the engine , the other i have tried into the intake pipe and blocking up same result with either. No other connections to intake.

Rides
    Cant get it running long enough to get hot , Ive been trying to get someone to come over and do a proper leak test and check the timing for me which I really hope will be the end of it , Would just be nice for it to be something simple for a change lol

Rides
    Got an update on this but no further to resolving , make my christmas and help me get it running lol, its killing me being this close but so far -

If i keep it running by blipping the throttle till its warm it will idle ( bit rough but is on basemap ) , with this I was able to set the timing but didn't make any difference ( was done in timing mode )

Had what is the only guy within an hour of me who knows anything about SR's called out but we still couldnt get it running properly

He had the correct gear to do a leak test and he pressure checked all the pipework and all that was fine , checked MAF voltage and all ok.

I went out and bought a consult cable and plugged it in with ECUTalk to check TPS working correctly and looks fine.

Scratching my head now killing me looking at it sat in the garage and not being able to get it out, Anyone any ideas on what else there could be or that I can check ?

Rides
    Get the consult on and see what engine timing your ECU is saying. We timed my SR up to standard 15 deg on the engine and it still ran like a dog. Only when we plugged in did we notice that the ECU timing was slightly retarded. Timed the engine to match and bingo, problem solved.

We used the below guide for resetting the timing, came in pretty handy:

http://www.frsport.com/How-To-Set-Cr...gine_t_25.html

Rides
    Results of the consult (I don't really know what I'm looking at tbh) timing gauge is in bottom left, I forgot to change injector setting in ecu talk to 740 so if the injector gauge looks weird that's maybe why

Cold

https://youtu.be/GKTYkJAJlH8

Warm

https://youtu.be/W3cO721ZhCk

Going to pop the rocker off and see what the cams are setup like but if this makes any sense to anyone any advice would be much appreciated
    Last edited by agentsmith350; 05-12-2016 at 08:10.

Rides
    did you try running it on idle with the maf and lambda sensors disconnected?

Rides
    With maf unplugged it would idle without stalling from cold , overfuelling like crazy though due to bigger injectors probably not adjusted for in safe mode

Unplugged elbow lamba sensor and no change.

Rides
    took the rocker off and double checked the cam positions , reset the cas which was slightly out and timed it back to 15'. Runs a little smoother when warm now but still wont idle and cuts off when when cold. This is driving me mad. The only thing left to look at is redo the MAF wiring again but im 100% its correct and the IACV but this hasnt changed since it was running fine ??!.

Either that or could it be the base map just isnt adjusted for cold start ?

Rides
    bump

Rides
    Still struggling with this if anyone has any more advise or tips , Checked the plugs that where brand new and they where black so think its over fueling on cold.

Wideband shows it going off the scale rich for a second then sweeps over to lean before it stalls out.

Rides
    Still fighting this guys if anyone has any tips , traced every vacuum line I can see but everything looks connected.

Re wired the maf better made no change.

Changed the coolant temp sensor with no change.

Ive bought nistune to check timing properly and it was ok from what I could see, Im trying to sort something out with the mapper to remote connect and take a look to see what he can see but in the meantime I can upload stuff here if anyone thinks they could help from looking at logs etc.

Cars been parked up and not moved since I made this thread because of this and its getting me down now if anyone has any ideas.

Rides
    This video seems to be really similar to how mine is behaving , although its a KA so not sure where to check for the same solution on the SR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNdY7Hqi0hk

Rides
    I used to have an idle issue and that was because my tps was set up incorrectly. The way you bolt it on and have the ability to sway affects the idle. This is on my ca18 though not to sure if it applies to sr's but I'm sure it does. See if you can adjust the TPS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Checking the TPS read outs from ECUtalk software it looks fine :/