Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Clutch to purchase...

Rides

What Clutch to purchase...

Heya all, relatively inexperienced to car tuning and stuff so any help and suggestions welcome.

Clutch is slipping pretty bad and will be putting a new one in next week however after spending a while looking am still non the wiser on a choice. The s14 is at stage 1 and last dyno managed 260hp (paperwork from previous owner). The car is used as a daily with the odd track day once every few months and so obviously I wont be after a race clutch as have a lot of stop start traffic however so far the Exedy Organic clutch ive seen recommended Im pretty sure wont handle the power on the times where the car is used as an s14 should

(also should note that money is a tad of an issue so only have about £500 to spend)

any help appreciated, or if there is a thread that would help and ive been a muppet posting this then that too (did have a look on the s14 tech forum but couldnt see anything)

Rides
    ACT organic .

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    ACT organic .
    Yup, act hd organic is a great clutch and holds 350bhp, the clutch is light to use etc too which is a bonus.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Competition clutch stage4! I can't rate mine enough,it's a paddle clutch and is rated 450/500fltbs of torque. I can clutch kick mine and do 5k launches all day long and it never ever slips.

Rides
    thanks for the advice will have a look into the act hd org in that case

also morzy, how heavy is the CC stage 4 for daily-ing in your experience?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by morzy2k5 View Post
    Competition clutch stage4! I can't rate mine enough,it's a paddle clutch and is rated 450/500fltbs of torque. I can clutch kick mine and do 5k launches all day long and it never ever slips.

Till you snap the gearbox output shaft that is

I currently have the exedy ultra fibre full face clutch it was fine for stage 1a so 280-290 and have it on 3a which pulled 340 and seems to be fine but doubt it will last long really
    I had a paddle in for a bit and hated it for anything other than aggressive driving

When the exedy eventually wears out il be fitting an act one in its place

Rides
    Exedy Organic but make sure its genuine and not an ebay fake.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Buy a ACT HD Organic Clutch, it will save you messing and money.
    Ive had to switch out an Exedy after less than a year and it was real bought from Apex Performance Parts.
    Very happy with my ACT

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by morzy2k5 View Post
    i also run this clutch in mine, stage 1a spec with all supporting, and tbh i wouldn't recommend it for daily driving, i daily it in mine and its hard work, very heavy and its on off just like flicking a switch and also makes the gear stick wobble around like nothing else on normal pull away's. if you were planning on doing some skid days it would be perfect as it will take any of the abuse you can throw at it. but as mentioned above the gearbox will take a pounding, see what i did to the output shaft on mine. would benefit form an rb or bmw box upgrade.

Yes that output shaft should still be in the gearbox and not stuck in the prop

tho they are wiredly conciderabely cheaper than anything else out there, think mine was about £250 delivered on an offer weekend from euro-spec 2000 tho its a bit more now http://www.euro-spec2000.co.uk/shop/...clutch-stage-4

But thats the stage 4, they also do a stage 2 and stage 3 as well as a clutch and flywheel combo so they may be worth a look, im thinking of changing to a stage 2 or 3 one http://www.euro-spec2000.co.uk/shop/...h?pagenumber=1
    Last edited by mathew8717; 19-10-2016 at 13:41.

Rides
    another vote for ACT, although i cannot comment on the Vanilla Organic I have the Organic extreme, never slipped but fcuk me the pedal is hard

Rides
    Mathew 8717 I've got one of those broken output shafts on my garage shelf as well from when I had a paddle clutch fitted

A bit of slip on engagement can only be a good thing for reliability as it dampens the shock load on the box

Rides
    I originally bought a exedy organic clutch and it was genuine..lasted 3weeks before it started slipping it was garbage!! If you are planing on abusing the car i.e. Hard driving,launches,clutch kicks etc etc don't buy one of those.yeah the competition clutch is a pain in the arse for daily driving,but it does exactly what it's designed for and puts up with all the abuse.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    Mathew 8717 I've got one of those broken output shafts on my garage shelf as well from when I had a paddle clutch fitted

A bit of slip on engagement can only be a good thing for reliability as it dampens the shock load on the box
    I've still got the output to on display in my room hahah, it reminds me not to do it again lol!

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Rides
    This requires a poll starting to see how many people have snapped the gearbox output lol

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    This requires a poll starting to see how many people have snapped the gearbox output lol

Snapped counter shaft with a clutch kick, 280ish bhp/ ftib using ACT HD paddle.
    Replaced the clutch with ACT HD organic and was perfectly fine with the same use.

Rides
    Horses for courses, he hasnt mentioned drifting, he said a daily with the odd track day. I ran an Exedy on a stage 2 14a (305bhp) for over 50k miles and it was still good when I sold the car. Did track days as well. Some of you need to learn some mechanical sympathy

Also if the clutch is too harsh it will break the input shaft, not the output one (I have many examples at work). Broken output shaft like the one in the photo suggests the power isnt being transferred to the diff quick enough and the whole system is winding up. Obviously a weaker clutch will transfer this to clutch slip which is why people think its the clutch at fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Thanks everyone for the help and information have just ordered the act hd organic and shall be fitting it next week.

Just to double check pretty sure I read it has a 500mile break in, so just to be double sure is that what everyone here has done?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by murglewood View Post
    Thanks everyone for the help and information have just ordered the act hd organic and shall be fitting it next week.

Just to double check pretty sure I read it has a 500mile break in, so just to be double sure is that what everyone here has done?
    Yeh about 500 miles, some say less I think but 500 is probably a safe bet, I did mine well easy for 500 and didn't go stupid crazy until the 1000 mark!

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Yeah I ran her in gently on 10psi for 500 miles, now back up to 17psi and no problems at all
    I put just under 3 bottles of Redline MT-90 in the gearbox and she's sweet as a nut.
    While the box is off I would upgrade the clutch pivot for one of DW's and replace front and rear seals in the box for peace of mind.

Rides
    We use the Comp clutch stuff very very little issues. The stage 4's are awesome but people forget there's the stage 2 and 3 as well to cater other needs.

Also worth noting that the break in period is all about clutch engagements so no point doing 500 miles on the motorway in 5th
    SLIDEMOTORSPORT - Find us in the traders section or call 01977 647277