Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody got a Kodi box?

Rides

Anybody got a Kodi box?

A mate showed me a Kodi Box he's just got. Seemed to have everything on it but I didn't really get the whole thing.
    Appears to run on android and uses apps.
    How easy are these things to set up and will I be able to do away with my Virgin media Tivo box? Can I get freeview on it? He wasn't to sure as he's still trying to get to grips with his.

And any recommendations as to which one to go for. I've looked on Amazon and they start dirt cheap and go up to not massively expensive.

Rides
    You need to download the media files yourself I believe... Or get a plugin that allows you to connect to other media servers

I use Plex. A Fork from KODI and it is great

Rides
    Sorry Ash, didn't really understand much of that. Can you put it in laymans terms for me?

Rides
    We have Kodi installed on an Amazon fire stick as we dont have Sky/Virgin Media so not really sure if you can download onto those!

Works a treat

Rides
    I have an Android box with Kodi.

You basically install apps and then use these to search servers for the movies and shows you want. There is a lot of stuff on there and you get films normally at the same time they are in the cinema but most of those have chinese subtitles or are poor quality. Its excellent for watching a box set of a show as they have all the seasons of everything on there.

I still have my TiVo box though as I am convinced one day it wont work

Exodus seems to be the app to use at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    We have an android box with kodi (formerly xbmc) on and the tv addons wizard setup. It's great but a little wierd to get around at first. Don't really watch live TV anymore as there are to many interesting things on kodi to even want to. Takes away all the rubbish you don't want to watch.

Will still need a decent broadband connection.

Rides
    I know a guy that sells Raspberry Pi based Kodi installed boxes ready to go; they're a hundred rubs but plug and play.

Can watch just about anything. What I will say is you need it on a wired internet connection though.

Rides
    Kodi on the Amazon fire stick works well, it won't replace virgin media/tivo or get freeview but it's only £35.

Rides
    I use kodi on my main PC running windows which is permanently plugged into my TV as a media centre, its great - watched loooooooads of stuff this year on it.
    Got my pi3 setup as a kodi box as well - its a very nice little setup for streaming - even have one of those remote controls with a keyboard built in.

Be aware, and i have had this argument with a lot of folk, if you use kodi or any other service to view material you aint paid for (films, sports ect) THEN YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW....

Rides
    Brekkin tha law brekkin tha laaaawwwwww

Rides
    Aye being a baddie...
    Had several arguments with clueless individuals who buy a kodi box off some random advert which says its perfectly legal.... err yes its legal to have them but if you use it to watch stuff you aint entitled to you are a BAD person.

Not that i give two flying monkeys left nutsacks. But you could end up in hot water using one (about as likely as Kylie giving me a BJ tonight)

Anyone with a pi can get premade builds off t interweb for setup saving you doing the work yourself.

Rides
    My box was all preloaded but it was shit The search function just brought up a keyboard with blank keys so was useless. I formatted it and reinstalled the latest Kodi (Jarvis) and then just installed the apps I wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Have kodi set up on my galaxy tab a...

Works very well to watch content via the tablet, but trying to stream across to the LG smart TV is very hit and miss, great when it works but a pain the arse when it gives up mid show.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

West Country Rep
    Rides
    Amazon Fire stick would more than likely be your best bet. You can then have the likes of Kodi, Plex & Netflix built in, along with iplayer etc. Or you can buy a stick pre done from Ebay.

West Country REO

Rides
    They're abit of a ripoff from eBay, it takes about 10-15 minutes to install Kodi yourself, the guides are pretty much idiot proof.

Rides
    Yeah its not hard to setup yourself, the other thing about buying some random item off ebay is god know what security holes it has to access your internal lan.

Shudder to think of all the botnets and crap you could be hosting unknowingly.

Rides
    You can watch live TV on a kodi box but I still have Virgin just in case it ever goes down.

I've got mine plugged directly into my projector and surround sound so I can watch anything I want on a big screen and it's always worked well for me

West Country Rep
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    They're abit of a ripoff from eBay, it takes about 10-15 minutes to install Kodi yourself, the guides are pretty much idiot proof.
    True, it is really easy. I just know most people hate having to spend time setting things up and are more of the plug it in and go type.

West Country REO

Rides
    I've got a Droid Box with Kodi and the Exodus plugin. It's pretty much all you need for streaming tv series and films. You can also just google for guides to get you setup as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Right then that seems straight forward enough. I've had a look on Amazon and there's loads!

What do people have and is it worth buying one of the little keyboards to go with it?

Not looking to spend fortunes on it but nothing I've looked at seems to be a well known branded product.