Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cat C, doesnt appear on V5, never had a VIC check?

Rides
    End of the day man if it aligns up well and is a solid chassis its worth good money; intriguing as this situation is it shouldnt affect your sale. I once bought a Pug 309 which had nothing on the V5, when I then recieved my copy of the V5 it said it had been declared Cat C a day after I bought it lol. Made no sense and DVLA had no answer for it, I just sold it on when I was done with it and the buyer didnt seem to care either. Completely different market I know but yeah, weird things happen with Cat Cs and whatnot I guess.

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Unfortunately it was enough to scare the 1 seller away I wanted to swap with haha, looks like im keeping it a little longer.

Did a quick tally up and theres at least 5-6k in parts, so all isnt lost.

Rides
    if the buyer is nervous they could get an independent report carried out by the RAC etc.. to assure them its not borked. or pop it into slidemotorsport and get them to give it the full bill of health.(depending on how north east you are.

Rides
    7 years old in 2002? £6-7000?
    Looking at oldest "for sale" they were going for £2000 to £3500 in 2006.

Probably quite easy to make that cat C. Cat C is non structural. Moderate tap at one end and may have had the air bags go off. Windscreen, dash, replacement air bags, bumper skin + paint.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_check#MIAFTR_Data

Won't be a VIC as VIC wasn't introduced until April 2003 but reporting CAT C was started 2002.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identity_Check

Rides
    I don't know much about this kind of thing but I know of a people get a write off car, send it to another country, then get it back and the write off then disappears somehow? Could yours have had this done by a previous owner. Sorry to hear about your car, must be gutting. I have never HPI checked a car before buying it, probably should start lol.

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Explains why there was no VIC then.

Only thing unexplained is why the DVLA isnt aware :/

All buyers have backed out now so its most likely getting stripped and reshelled, or just stripped for bits. Hopefully the shell can live on for someone, because its not even rotten.

Rides
    being a cat C wouldn't bother me, its an old car that was worth peanuts at some point. a brand new complete front bumper would have been about £2000 fitted so if they had to wait a month for it to be shipped over then that would be a months worth of hire car charges.

I had an import s14 that had had a wack on the front and the back before it came over.

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Yeah, it doesnt bother me, but buyers of potential "drift cars" seem to be mega put off... despite the fact that half the S14s you see advertised have had a rear quarter stoved in or a slam panel staightened at some point.

I'll see how the situation goes.

Rides
    that's because most people who buy 'drift cars' actually just want a car to pose around in and only really drift wet roundabouts to show off, its a small minority who actually batter them to death around proper tracks.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    that's because most people who buy 'drift cars' actually just want a car to pose around in and only really drift wet roundabouts to show off,
    You mean "wrap it round a lamppost".
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    its a small minority who actually batter them to death around proper tracks.