Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flame grilled daily...new car ideas

Rides

Flame grilled daily...new car ideas

Hi guys,

So my daily decided to have a small fire...it's repairable however a 2004 focus, I just can't justify doing it.

So it's time for a new car, I have been looking at the likes of a 2014/2015 208 1.6hdi.

But there must be something a little more inspiring I'm not thinking of. So the criteria is:

4 door
    Cheap to run (45+ mpg)
    Probably diesel
    Low tax (<£100 a year)

Being fun would be a bonus, but lets try an avoid the standard BMW answer lol.

Max budget if buying cash is 11k, obviously less is good.

Cheers

Matt

Rides
    Fiesta EcoBoost. Next

Expand: actually quite fun chassis , had over 50mpg in ours, well built, free tax, cheap parts, not a French hatch.

Rides
    Was going to suggest a fiesta ecoboost too for the above reasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Cheers guys I do have plan to have a trip to ford soon to have a nose.

Any others?

Rides
    Polo Blumotion R-line.

Nice interior, realistic 48 mpg urban and 56 mpg motorway. 148 lb/ft and 110 bhp with a nice interior.

Really impressed with the quality on the one I bought though its now been completely commandeered by my eldest daughter.

I haggled to 14K brand new and the residuals on them are better than other similar size cars but an ex-demo or s/h one would be easily within budget.

Quite a pretty looking car with the R-line bodykit on too. Click on the link in my sig for pictures.

It has to be better than a 208

East Anglia Area Rep Slip_n_slide's Avatar
    Rides
    I've told you. Saab 9-3 TID 150

£1000 odd if you don't buy a lemon. If you want a go in mine let me know and if you want one I'd be happy to go with you to give it a once over now I know what I'm looking for.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    I've told you. Saab 9-3 TID 150

£1000 odd if you don't buy a lemon. If you want a go in mine let me know and if you want one I'd be happy to go with you to give it a once over now I know what I'm looking for.
    Is the chassis as good as the 9-5? And by good I mean shite.

East Anglia Area Rep Slip_n_slide's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Is the chassis as good as the 9-5? And by good I mean shite.
    I've only had it a month but it's not too bad for standard driving. I've booted it around the corner a few times and it doesn't slip too much.

Rides
    I've only had it a month but it's not too bad for standard driving. I've booted it around the corner a few times and it doesn't slip too much.
    I feel it may be necessary to ask....how many issues the car has had

However, I may take you up on that offer if I go down the save money route. The reason behind spending more was the lack of wanting to fix it. I even have contemplated selling the 14 lol.

JW, certainly something I hadn't considered your link isn't working to have a look at yours
    Last edited by m44t-xx; 01-10-2016 at 17:05.

Rides
    Sadly the garage section of the forum has been broken for months when I ask they say no one uses the forum any more

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182273262397 is an example.

You deffo want the 110R which is a 1.0 3 cylinder turbo. The "r line style" has only 60 bhp and the 1.2 r line only 90 bhp.
    The one in the example is brand new and prreg on a 16 plate. Offer them a straight cash buy and I bet you can get it for 14 and a little bit.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 01-10-2016 at 17:55. Reason: Add info

Rides
    140ps Ecoboost Fiesta

45mpg
    £20 tax
    Loads of fun
    Hands dont sticking of diesel every time you fill up
    Not French

The wife has a Black edition one and it holds the road as well as my Focus ST (but you do fall out the seat if you get too carried away )

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ode=p&adPos=10

Or say fook it and get an ST

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...code=p&adPos=5
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Mark is right.

Rides
    VW are having some stonking deals on their cars at the moment, fallout from the big emissions scandal by all accounts.
    Push the dealer hard, go on CarWOW and DriveTheDeal to get an idea of the kinda discount they're offering.

Rides
    So,

Thanks to JW I have just been to VW to test drive the above, the closest they had was a bluegt 1.4tsi (obviously more money)

The salesman (my uncle luckily enough) has ran it through, now running it through carwow and he is going to work off the figure, which is likely to be considerably less than his quote

I appreciate I will pay more for the VW over the likes of Ford etc but the residual value, build quality etc are not to be snubbed at. Also I'm in a lucky position I can put a considerable deposit down (<50% if needs be).

Thanks for the drivethedeal (never heard of it)

Cheers guys

Rides
    Residuals of VWs is very close to everything else nowdays, in the grand scheme of things one will cost the same to run as a Ford, Toyota or Vauxhall.
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Cheers Mark.

I have had a look about at various things, the polo bluegt seams to fit the bill, performance (150ps), economy with the ACT engine. Yea I blew the budget but will be going to PCP route...apparently the modern thing to do. I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow to see what they have to offer in comparison to carwow

Rides
    PCP works if you don't have the dough to buy the car outright and are prepared to treat the car as a disposable item. At the end you will have to buy it for close to what it is worth or give it back. Whether you do the former or the latter, you won't have a deposit out of it to put on your next car.

I'm not saying it is a bad thing. It can give you now what you would have to save up for. However, the financiers are not in it for altruistic reasons

You also won't get anything like the level of control over when you change the car for another one and you may not find the dealer as well disposed to cut you a mega-deal.

Just saying.

Rides
    Get a FST and dont pratt about, will be several orders of magnitude better to drive than some boring vag group rubbish.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    PCP works if you don't have the dough to buy the car outright and are prepared to treat the car as a disposable item. At the end you will have to buy it for close to what it is worth or give it back. Whether you do the former or the latter, you won't have a deposit out of it to put on your next car.

I'm not saying it is a bad thing. It can give you now what you would have to save up for. However, the financiers are not in it for altruistic reasons

You also won't get anything like the level of control over when you change the car for another one and you may not find the dealer as well disposed to cut you a mega-deal.
    Firstly it all depends what car you get and when you change it with respect to if you have anything in the car for a deposit, you can also sell it private if they offer you a shit trade in. Its also pretty easy to beat a dealer up for a deal if you stick to your guns and change the car before you need to. One way is to play 2 or 3 dealers off each other and also keep your eyes peeled for any special deals especially at the end of a plate run or model run out.

Its a good way to get in a new car for not a lot of money but yes it does become like white goods.

Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Get a FST and dont pratt about, will be several orders of magnitude better to drive than some boring vag group rubbish.
    This
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Firstly it all depends what car you get and when you change it with respect to if you have anything in the car for a deposit...
    Can you name any real examples ?