Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flame grilled daily...new car ideas

Rides

Flame grilled daily...new car ideas

Volvo C30 D4 or any Volvo with a d4 engine to be honest (all the new ones are still coming out with this engine)

2L 5 cylinder diesel 177bhp 400nm torque

Average 41-45 mpg urban
    50+ on the motorway

and all that's my "spirited" driving style

£120 a year tax, ridiculously cheap insurance, cost me less than a 1.2 corsa c I had

I drove to Holland in July on £25 of diesel

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Can you name any real examples ?
    Ford Kugas hold their money quite well and if you have a well specced one they are normally worth more than you owe.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Ford Kugas hold their money quite well and if you have a well specced one they are normally worth more than you owe.
    The idea with all of the PCP deals though is that the GMFV at the end of the deal is less than the car is worth so that you have a small deposit sat with the dealer so that they can get you straight into a new car at the end of the deal. Even with something like the Aygo I had and the 208 my partner had, the last few months of the deal created positive equity versus the value of the car. Not a huge amount granted but some.

If you get a decent deal then you can be quids in after 9 months easily. The discounts available to Ford people through privilege meant a friend of mine was getting a Fiesta ST every 9 months and selling it back to a dealer for more than he bought it for in the first place not so long ago!

Rides
    ST PCP is quite decent, it was either that or the 5 when i changed car earlier this year and the Ford was cheaper on monthly (decided i couldnt drive scrabble though)

Rides
    I really don't undersand why people that are into cars recommend these small cars ala Fiesta, Polo etc and even Focii!

First of all, why limit youself with "low tax"? Tax is an annual cost, so in terms of the cost of running a car overall, taking into account depreciation and fuel costs - limiting yourself to something with low tax writes off anything with a decent power unit and doesnt really make a blind bit of difference when it comes to running costs overall.

People recommend 1/3/5 series constantly for a damn good reason - for a daily driver that you spend a large chunk of your time in, they are a fairly nice place to be!

If I was in your shoes I would be buying an older 520d for sure.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by beeniemac View Post
    I really don't undersand why people that are into cars recommend these small cars ala Fiesta, Polo etc and even Focii!

First of all, why limit youself with "low tax"? Tax is an annual cost, so in terms of the cost of running a car overall, taking into account depreciation and fuel costs - limiting yourself to something with low tax writes off anything with a decent power unit and doesnt really make a blind bit of difference when it comes to running costs overall.

People recommend 1/3/5 series constantly for a damn good reason - for a daily driver that you spend a large chunk of your time in, they are a fairly nice place to be!

If I was in your shoes I would be buying an older 520d for sure.
    Funny you say that!

I have just spent the last week or so really thinking about what I want from a car. Now I have turned my "I want a new car" blinkers off, I have decided to buy a car out right, and pocket the change.

So probably 7/8k
    Nice looking
    Comfy
    Not horrendous on fuel

Soo, that brings me on the SXOC new car guide....

320d/325d/330d.

Appreciate the 5 series idea, however I will likely to be sticking to the 3 series

Rides
    Seriously, dont bother with the diesel, get a nice 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Seriously, dont bother with the diesel, get a nice 330i
    Any reason why Mark?
    I'm looking at the better mpg potential, tax and probably insurance?

Rides
    I had a 330d (e46 coupe Msport) and as i have said before dont let anyone kid you into thinking they are sports cars.

**** no.. very heavy and unexciting with only a dollop of torque filled joy every so often. Ok compared to an Audi or some scrabbler with a small engine diesel yeah they seem good but... christ they aint what the image trys to portray.
    It also had a horrific ride as is the norm for sporty german stuff these days by the looks of it, thus as comfy as a toothache.

Now i dont doubt that a nice 5 series with small wheels and no stupid msport will be nice to drive as in relaxing but it will also be boring as well so take your pick, sensible and comfy but boring and depressing.

Rides
    Well sideways...you have just rained on my parade, I was under the impression a 330d would be fairly torquey!

I'm not set on diesel by any stretch, but I ideally need to get something in the next few weeks, just need to pin down exactly what

Rides

Flame grilled daily...new car ideas

Quote Originally Posted by m44t-xx View Post
    Well sideways...you have just rained on my parade, I was under the impression a 330d would be fairly torquey!

I'm not set on diesel by any stretch, but I ideally need to get something in the next few weeks, just need to pin down exactly what
    I still say a Volvo,

I'm biased though

Rides
    Ohh a 330d will be very torque, and they can be quite quick... in a lumpy big whoosh and nowt sort of way.
    But tis no sports car as i said above, ok they can accelerate but thats it - add in options that can make them very uncomfortable (msport/big wheels) and they are ruined.

A base model 5 series diesel for long boring miles would be fine, a 330i is more interesting although still very heavy.. best bet would be a Caterham of some kind, ok you would get there wet, knackered, deaf and with a crippled spine but hey your grin would be wide.

Rides
    A newer shape s40 with a 2.4 petrol engine would make a nice daily

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Rides
    The thing about the diesels is the potential for them to throw big bills at you. A lot of the OcUK Motors guys seem to be of the opinion that you should always try and buy an annual BMW or 3rd party waranty to cover any potential big expenses if the car you get is young enough and low miles enough.

My old 530d Msport (e39) ended up with both fuel pumps going, and the turbo at the same time and me having to scrap it - to say I was gutted is an understatement but it had done the best part of 300k at this point.

The petrols (certainly the non turbo petrols) are not highly strung as a general rule and other than ancilliaries (alties, starters, sensors etc) dont have that much to go wrong.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Ohh a 330d will be very torque, and they can be quite quick... in a lumpy big whoosh and nowt sort of way.
    But tis no sports car as i said above, ok they can accelerate but thats it - add in options that can make them very uncomfortable (msport/big wheels) and they are ruined.

A base model 5 series diesel for long boring miles would be fine, a 330i is more interesting although still very heavy.. best bet would be a Caterham of some kind, ok you would get there wet, knackered, deaf and with a crippled spine but hey your grin would be wide.
    The guy wants a 4 door eco box and you are waving a Caterham flag?? Why don't you just suggest he buys a bike instead, surely thats more impractical and fun!!

When it comes to 3 series vs 5 series I've had both - petrol 3 series vs a diesel 5, though both early 2000s models. The extra size in the 5 series, even with the Msport suspension, adds stability and comfort compared the 3. Ultimately though, get your arse to a BMW approved used place and drive them back to back. Like your man here says the x30d can make progress, and with a remap you can have a fairly fast car in a straight line - the x35d even more so - after a remap they will out accelerate most things on the road.

Rides
    Whoosh..... yep did you hear that as it went over your head?

Rides
    Matt, Your inbox is full

I have to say I agree with Sideways. If you compromise on the fun factor, you'll regret it. Hence he's saying the petrol 330 will be less of a compromise than the diseasal.

What about an unmolested Scooby ? Or an Older ST ?

Rides
    Sideways as much as your idea would be amazing...the winter hack would probably benefit from a roof

Yea I guess I do need something fun that I'm not going to get bored of 5 mins down the line.

Jw...cleared it

Rides
    You're not going to get 45+ mpg from a Scooby, 2.4 petrol s40, 330i, etc. Let's remember that requirement from the first post...

Rides
    I bet the newer shape s40 1.8 petrol would come close to 45mpg.

Our civic is currently returning those figures on the work run

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk