Thread: Engine sound, need help, vid attached.

Rides

Engine sound, need help, vid attached.

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could call apon your wisdom to help diagnose a strange sound. At first I though it was the hyro lifters, so I pulled them all out and rebleed them by submerging them in oil and putting a small paper clip through the hole, working it up and down until all the air bubbles came out. This doesn't seem to have fixed it.

The engine makes this sound a little on start up and then clears. Then once up to temp the noise comes back. So im guessing as the oil thins with temp or something expands with heat?

I've attached a video to try and show the problem. It sounds like its in the head.

https://youtu.be/oWr2MR5gSOs

Many thanks,

Rob

Rides
    vct sprocket as usual

Rides
    Many thanks for your reply Mike. Can i ask how sure you are of that? as from my limited experience it doesn't sound like most other VCT rattle videos ive heard on youtube but it did sound like one. Its an expensive mistake if it isn't that so just looking to be sure.

Thanks

Rides
    That does sound like a lifter noise to me, sounds too harsh to be vct in my opinion. Not sure what to suggest as you said you have already bled them. I'm sure someone more qualified will be along soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Unless one of the lifters is faulty in some way and bleeding them isn't the answer. Stumped!

Rides
    Unplug the vct, if it shuts up, its that.. if it doesn't then its not..

Rides
    Top man! Thanks, will give it a try

Rides
    My vct made a whole variety of sounds, some of which were just like this, i did the micro switch mod do quieten it which worked for a year or 2 but when i changed the cams it made it worse so i installed a new sprocket. bridge the vct solenoid wire and if it changes the sound its vct.

Rides
    Cheers mate, thanks

Rides
    An easier option..start it, make sure the noise is there, put into 1st gear rev above 1500rpm, if it goes it's vvt

Rides
    Will be the sprocket, when they wear badly they sound like a diesel. I did all the same with mine, bled the tappets several times, had people look at it who where 100% it wasnt the sprocket. In the end it was the only thing left so changed it anyway and it all went quiet.

If an SR has a top end rattle its 99% of the time the sprocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Earth the peach coloured wire to the solenoid, this lets oil flow to the gear and should stop it rattling. unless its an oil pressure issue

Rides
    lack of oil changes earlier in its life can lead to the oil feed drilling in the head to the VVT sprocket can block and starve the sprocket
    I had a 84k miles SR and it munched through 3 good sprockets in 500 miles> 1k intervals before I sussed it
    above post mentioning oil pressure reminded me of that saga,
    chances are the spray bars are near blocked and rocker cover is crudded up with engine crud if it was like mine
    gave up on that SR and sold it for rebuild and swapped in a 23k miles engine from my other 14a

Rides
    Just wanted to update this and say thanks to all that added to my post. Ive changed the VCT sprocket and all is well! sounds like a new engine.

So Many thanks again,

Rob