Thread: Need help, CA18ET problem

Rides

Need help, CA18ET problem

I've got a problem with my '86 silvia S12. It won't f**kin start! Yes I know I've posted in the S13 section but as most S12's are now dead or have Ca18Det's in them I though I might get help here.

If your still reading this then hopefully you can help . I brought a S12 with the factory CA18ET a while ago and have been trying to get it running. Basically it turns over but won't fire. It's been standing for 12 months, I've replaced old fuel with new, after turning it over the plugs are wet and smell of fuel, taken plugs out and made sure they have a good spark when bridged to engine. I've also moved the dizzy to adjust the timing + or - and has made no difference.

I realise this could be absolutely anything but I don't know what to do with it now. No Ca18det / Sr20det swap ideas please) does anyone know these engines enough to shed some light on this PLEEEAASE??

Rides
    With issues like these I always go back to basics, air fuel spark. However it sounds like you have done this. I have worked on a customers s14 that had a similar issue and that turned out to be the igniter pack even though there was spark.

Rides
    Have you checked compression?

Rides
    if you have checked for spark and fuel is getting into the cylinders then it may be a case of flooding. remove the fuel pump fuse and see it fires at all. also try easy start. I reckon once you get it started and running it ill clean itself out and be ok from there - happened to me twice

Rides
    Maybe worth sending raygunn a pm he's had a few s12's

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Have you checked compression?
    THIS ^^^^ ,you need to comp test it ,the readings will reveal how healthy it is or not ,det at 8.5 very good is 145/150 psi
    you should see similar numbers if the ET has same/similar 8.5 comp ratio
    post the readings you get, all plugs out,throttle wide open,and a healthy battery
    if readings are low,spray a tiny bit of oil into bores,if they increase possible rings or bores problem,no increase can be valves/HG
    the ET motor with no intercooler didn't like boost being increased much,over tweeked bleed valves melt things

Rides
    Thanks for suggestions guys, off to get some easy start and a comp tester. Will keep you posted.....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    Maybe worth sending raygunn a pm he's had a few s12's
    Pm'd him in case there's a common fault , cheers