Thread: Redtop PS13 Temp Gauge Needle Position

Rides

Redtop PS13 Temp Gauge Needle Position

Can someone warm up their engine and post a picture of the needle position?

Sure mine has dropped a bit and the car is now occasionally idling a little higher than normal. Thinking my T'stat could be stuck open.

Cheers

Rides
    Should sit about mid-way up the gauge.

How long does your car take for the water to come up to temp? Are you running stock rad/stat?

My old car used to get water up to temp within a matter of minutes, so could be that your stat is stuck open...

Rides
    Feel the bottom rad hose when cold if its hard its stuck open, will rule out thermostat being stuck open

Rides
    The OEM gauge has a huge deadspot in the middle so if its moving off Cold after the normal 2-3 minutes driving and just sitting a bit low then its probably just a poor connection to the gauge.

If the thermostat was stuck open, you'd find the car was taking 15 minutes or so to lift off Cold and would not go above 1/4.

To check the thermostat, remove it and look at it then replace if necessary but I'd recommend fitting an OEM one or a good pattern one at least over a generic cheapo one off fleabay.

Rides
    Cool thanks guys, the needle did take longer to come over the deck today, and I swear it's lower than normal. I'll check everything when I get a chance away from bloody work ha.

Rides
    So took the car for a skid last night, car idles fine now. Think maybe my idle air valve could have been a bit clogged as sometimes I do short journeys in the car. Gonna clean in out.