Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little help deciding please

Rides

A little help deciding please

Hi guys,

I'm looking for something rwd and turbo so an S14a ticks all the boxes for me.

I just have a few questions and see if anyone could help me.

I'm not really into drifting but b road blasts and the likes, this would be my week end car. I'm sure if the S14a was setup with grip in mind it would be an excellent car.

I was set on getting an S14a but then I thought about getting an r33 gtst. They are similar prices to S14a's. I'm looking to spend £6k or under. My main thing I want are, decent power and grip, reliability and for it not to cost and arm and a leg.

Pros of S14a over r33 gtst:

Lighter than the r33
    SR20's seem to be reliable don't they?
    No offense to S14a drivers as I think they look amazing but I live in a crappy area and a skyline even though it would be 20+years old and not even a gtr might attract the wrong attention.
    A few years newer

Pros of a r33 gtst over an S14

Meant to be great to drive
    rb25's are supposedly reliable aren't they?
    Rb25 noise!
    Engine and gearbox can take more power even though I don't think I would be going for something over 380bhp.
    I think r33's look amazing.

I know a lot of people on here know loads about different cars so I thought it would be a good place to start.

Cheers guys

Rides
    Ive actually heard the RB is very linear as a result is a good drive not just on the "edge" like an SR is.

Skyline Tax has be taken into account.

The SR if maintained properly (oil & plug changes every 3-4k) they are very reliable, no cam belt changes to worry about (Chain driven) engine parts are considerably cheaper than an RB...although body parts are becoming more expensive

oh and then there is Skyline Tax

Rides
    If you own a GTST you will always be thinking you just got the second best version.
    If you own an s14 you know you got the best, well sort of... best for rust.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Janus View Post
    Ive actually heard the RB is very linear as a result is a good drive not just on the "edge" like an SR is.

Skyline Tax has be taken into account.

The SR if maintained properly (oil & plug changes every 3-4k) they are very reliable, no cam belt changes to worry about (Chain driven) engine parts are considerably cheaper than an RB...although body parts are becoming more expensive

oh and then there is Skyline Tax
    Is skyline tax that much? That is great that they are relaible. I will manage basic maintenance myself but until I move somewhere with a drive or a garage bigger jobs aren't on the cards for me to do so reliability is key.

Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    If you own a GTST you will always be thinking you just got the second best version.
    If you own an s14 you know you got the best, well sort of... best for rust.
    TBH that doesn't really bother me at all. The GTST looks good to me due to RWD. You can get R33 GTR's for a little bit more money (well double my budget lol) but it's still hella car for the money. Would a GTST have the same skyline tax as the GTR?

Rides
    all skylines suffer skyline tax.

maybe its worth a trip to one of the importers who will have both on their fourcourt so you can compare side by side.

ive always considered the r33 to be a bit boaty.

Rides
    I wouldn't think the s14a would give you an advantage as far as attracting the wrong sort of attention goes.

Most chavs seem to mistake 14as for Skylines anyway. "Nice Skyline mate !" is a regular way of taunting an s14a owner

To my mind, you should test drive both cars then decide. I think you'll get a nicer 200 for your money than Skyline, well, because Skyline tax.

Rides
    I am lucky enough to own both the R33 GTST and a S14 Zenki

Both are brilliant cars both have never let me down and both have there pros and cons.

The Skyline actually cost less to run and maintain due to its reliability then any other newer economic euro shit box I've owned. I've owned the Skyline 14 years. Hand on heart only time it wouldn't start was when the crap alarm system fitted as part of the insurance regs decided to stop working.

The Skyline to me has the edge.

Couple of this to consider though apart from the obvious
    Keep it under 350bhp seems to be the sweet spot for reliability

Check manifold studs have been replaced if not walk away it's pain in the arse to do not impossible but a pain and there all comeing to end of life trust me. Just like coil packs are failing check they have been replaced. Flat spot around 4500 5000rpm or if unmodified when second stage boost cuts in dead give away.

HICAS or rear wheel steer is brilliant...........when it works you can be anal like me and spend an absolute fortune having it fixed and set up or spend £60 and install a lock out bar. Be warned it never felt as planted when I drove ones with them fitted going down the free way always felt like it wanted to change lanes for your and of course it was very easy to kick the back out. I wrote a post on SO.com years ago after some research if your interested.

As for Skyline tax most people do try it on true but I serviced my own for about 50 quid, road tax was cheaper then some newer economic friendly crap and parts from a micra fit ie the battery (Skyline £135 micra £37 true story)

I could talk about Skylines for days there literally isn't anything I don't no about them. But it was the sound from the RB engine that had me. Use to put a smile on my face when people asked me what car it was sitting in the car park got me a few shags as well lol and the old 50p coin trick it always a good talking point. I could place one on the top of the engine on its side start the car even rev it without it falling over.

Yeap Skyline for me. Oh try and get a spec 1.5 or higher turbo slightly better as well as a tweek to exhaust manifold made for better spool up

Any questions just ask
    Last edited by auz200sx; 08-09-2016 at 09:49.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by auz200sx View Post
    I am lucky enough to own both the R33 GTST and a S14 Zenki

Both are brilliant cars both have never let me down and both have there pros and cons.

The Skyline actually cost less to run and maintain due to its reliability then any other newer economic euro shit box I've owned. I've owned the Skyline 14 years. Hand on heart only time it wouldn't start was when the crap alarm system fitted as part of the insurance regs decided to stop working.

The Skyline to me has the edge.

Couple of this to consider though apart from the obvious
    Keep it under 350bhp seems to be the sweet spot for reliability

Check manifold studs have been replaced if not walk away it's pain in the arse to do not impossible but a pain and there all comeing to end of life trust me. Just like coil packs are failing check they have been replaced. Flat spot around 4500 5000rpm or if unmodified when second stage boost cuts in dead give away.

HICAS or rear wheel steer is brilliant...........when it works you can be anal like me and spend an absolute fortune having it fixed and set up or spend £60 and install a lock out bar. Be warned it never felt as planted when I drove ones with them fitted going down the free way always felt like it wanted to change lanes for your and of course it was very easy to kick the back out. I wrote a post on SO.com years ago after some research if your interested.

As for Skyline tax most people do try it on true but I serviced my own for about 50 quid, road tax was cheaper then some newer economic friendly crap and parts from a micra fit ie the battery (Skyline £135 micra £37 true story)

I could talk about Skylines for days there literally isn't anything I don't no about them. But it was the sound from the RB engine that had me. Use to put a smile on my face when people asked me what car it was sitting in the car park got me a few shags as well lol and the old 50p coin trick it always a good talking point. I could place one on the top of the engine on its side start the car even rev it without it falling over.

Yeap Skyline for me. Oh try and get a spec 1.5 or higher turbo slightly better as well as a tweek to exhaust manifold made for better spool up

Any questions just ask
    Awesome thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    I wouldn't think the s14a would give you an advantage as far as attracting the wrong sort of attention goes.

Most chavs seem to mistake 14as for Skylines anyway. "Nice Skyline mate !" is a regular way of taunting an s14a owner

To my mind, you should test drive both cars then decide. I think you'll get a nicer 200 for your money than Skyline, well, because Skyline tax.
    I've only got £6k to spend and the s14a's I've seen are either rust buckets or drifters and been hammered. The skylines are no better lol. I guess it's just a case of waiting for the right car but I think I wouldn't go wrong with either of them. I appreciate the help guys. Really helped me out and gave me some good stuff to think about.

More reading for me lol!

Rides
    Get a s14a with an RB or put one in it and you'll have the best of both worlds, I prefer the s14a as it not as rah looking as the r33

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dblock View Post
    Awesome thank you!

I've only got £6k to spend and the s14a's I've seen are either rust buckets or drifters and been hammered. The skylines are no better lol. I guess it's just a case of waiting for the right car but I think I wouldn't go wrong with either of them. I appreciate the help guys. Really helped me out and gave me some good stuff to think about.

More reading for me lol!
    S14a - Low mileage - Unfinished

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...2&share_type=t

Depending on the "OK" condition of external and how bad the interior is, that could be an ideal project? Restore her back to her former glory with hardly any miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kingk View Post
    S14a - Low mileage - Unfinished

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...2&share_type=t

Depending on the "OK" condition of external and how bad the interior is, that could be an ideal project? Restore her back to her former glory with hardly any miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd be a little cautious about that as it appears to be something of a bitsa. 23K miles and the interior is ruined, he's been searching for a bonnet and front wings for ages and posting up a wiring issue thread. It appears to have an engine out of an S14 so I'm not sure what it is that has done 23K miles.

http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?579202

I think 4,500 for something that's a non-runner and has been for a few years is a little optimistic even now that prices are on the rise.
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 09-09-2016 at 10:55.

Rides
    I'd go one better and get an S13, they handle and look better than S14's....

Rides
    Are you dead set on those two choices? Neither are especially good, grippy cars out of the box as they are GT cars at their core. Of course anything can be made into a grip car but you'll be spending a few grand on top of your £6k.

The alternative option is that £6k will get you a nice 350Z, which is designed to be more of a sportscar out of the box.

Much more modern car & chassis than both the R33 or the S14, nicer interior, arguably better looking, and V6 noises beat RB noises any day of the week in my opinion

If you can get over the non-turbo stigma and the BHP willy-waving, and you don't need rear seats then it's a seriously good car to consider. A few people on here have moved on to them from S-bodies over the years and speak very highly of them indeed (Docwra, Fake Ben Taylor, and Fridx for starters).

I've been passenger in a couple of the above ones at SXOC track days too and they are a lot better than I ever would have expected, so if it's a grip setup you're interested in then I would give it some serious thought.

Rides
    Grip and s14 in the same sentence usually only occur when the word "lack" is used in front.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Are you dead set on those two choices? Neither are especially good, grippy cars out of the box as they are GT cars at their core. Of course anything can be made into a grip car but you'll be spending a few grand on top of your £6k.

The alternative option is that £6k will get you a nice 350Z, which is designed to be more of a sportscar out of the box.

Much more modern car & chassis than both the R33 or the S14, nicer interior, arguably better looking, and V6 noises beat RB noises any day of the week in my opinion

If you can get over the non-turbo stigma and the BHP willy-waving, and you don't need rear seats then it's a seriously good car to consider. A few people on here have moved on to them from S-bodies over the years and speak very highly of them indeed (Docwra, Fake Ben Taylor, and Fridx for starters).
    This, mainly. As a B road smasher a 350 is dfficult to beat for the money
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post

I've been passenger in a couple of the above ones at SXOC track days too and they are a lot better than I ever would have expected, so if it's a grip setup you're interested in then I would give it some serious thought.
    It's more the fact I wanted something different. I've only ever had a turbo diesel or n/a petrols. I'm not after the the turbo for massive numbers or anything I just want to see what they are like.

I've actually just sold my 350z to my brother. That way I can still drive it ;-). Best car I have ever had but it got too much attention when I had it at my house so I had to leave it at my brothers house. I've owned it for nearly 8 years which shows you how much I love it. I'll admit it's hard to replace it as it was perfect but I do want something different too.

Rides
    Sounds like what you need is a garage.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Sounds like what you need is a garage.
    I was actually meant to be going 4 ways with some guys for this big lock up. But it fell apart for some reason. I'd love somewhere with a garage built onto the house that way I could work on my car as I please instead of living I a crappy flat that I don't even have a driveway with. But that's life lol.

I guess I'll just ask someone for a drive on them. I might love the car or I might hate them. Only one way to find out I suppose.

Rides
    Go along to your local meet. You should be able to at least get a passenger ride.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Aaaah, that Dblock ........
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go