Thread: 180SX - Intermittent Starting Issue

Rides

Unhappy 180SX - Intermittent Starting Issue

Hi all,

Recently bought the infamous Abbas Sileighty and I'm having a rather annoying intermittent starting issue.

Get in the car, check for the green light from the TOAD AI606 and put in the key. Turn the key and I hear a motor (fuel pump I'm assuming) and a definite click, but then nothing. Car doesn't even attempt to crank.

Tried locking and unlocking incase of the immobiliser to no avail. Several attempts later and repeatedly turning the key and it starts without any hesitation or struggle as if there was never an issue. This tends to be more apparent if I start the car after recently stopping.

Obviously my first call was to test the battery and alternator, everything fine, then removed the starter for a refurb and it looked almost brand new inside (original owner, not previous, got in touch and said he had refurbed it and was working sweet after that).

All the wiring local to the starter appeared to be fine but I have yet to check wiring from the motor back to battery.

Is there anyone that has gone through the same symptoms and rectified the issue? I'm starting to sway more to the alarm/immobiliser as the light on the dash does things it never normally does under normal start up.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Mikey

Rides
    Maybe something to do with the ignition key barrel on the steering column. I'm not sure how to test it though.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by soggysock View Post
    Maybe something to do with the ignition key barrel on the steering column. I'm not sure how to test it though.
    Anyone have any idea on how to test this? Or advice on fault finding to narrow down the problems?

Rides
    I had a no start issue that turned out to be a eaten wheel arch wire but this tells you everything to check

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=6756206

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Rides
    I know you've already mentioned starter but check the connection to the solenoid, mine was really loose so gave it a squeeze on the plastic bit to make a tighter connection and ive not had the issue you're talking about since!

Rides
    For reference to anyone looking to do a search on the issue. I replaced the starter motor with an S14 starter and starts a lot better than it did previously. Not had any starting issues after a week of running now so happy days! I'm guessing it was the solenoid on its way out as everything else internally looked fine.