Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Precious - Jonny Wilkinson's white S13

Rides
    I'm trying to sort some photos to spice up the thread a bit. Its,a bit dry without but I want to use current pics where possible.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Current pics added to post #2 courtesy of the King of the Daz Enjoy.

Rides
    Your car looks pristine Jonny. I'm very impressed. There are so many modified ones now that to see a stock one is probably more appealing for me.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_ View Post
    Your car looks pristine Jonny. I'm very impressed. There are so many modified ones now that to see a stock one is probably more appealing for me.
    It is pristine, it's the best example I've ever seen!

Awesome photos! Really does show how clean it is

Rides
    Its not exactly standard though. I've just kept the original look. It could be put back to standard but it'd be a lot of trouble to make the car go, handle and stop worse.

Rides
    Love this car

The only thing I'm really not keen on is the intercooler, think it would look way better with the original fan cowling.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Its not exactly standard though. I've just kept the original look. It could be put back to standard but it'd be a lot of trouble to make the car go, handle and stop worse.

My mistake, I hadn't read fully. I had only gawped at a couple of the pictures, notably not the engine bay shot!

Regardless, the semi-factory look still looks great

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Love this car

The only thing I'm really not keen on is the intercooler, think it would look way better with the original fan cowling.
    When I fitted it 11-12 years ago, I did look at how I could keep the cowling and the answer was, I couldn't see a way to cut it down to be narrow enough.

Putting an IC out front would have meant longer pipework, cutting the battery tray and having a visibly nonstandard front end view.

The IC is a very early Apex IC and one of only half a dozen made apparently. It has 4 times the capacity of the original and unrestrictive pipework.

Rides
    I may rib you and your precious but it is truly a wondrous example on looking after a car and making a proper oem+style work

Rides
    So, here's some more behind the scenes pics....

Bumpers off...

How many brackets in a front bumper ? !!!

...and the rear...

Rides
    It's very nice, great work johnny. Credit to you

Rides
    ...and the brakes/wheelarches

behind the spats

...and the rears...

...and I have had the original calipers black powdercoated and they're ready to go on...

Rides
    I've got about 1500 pictures of the car and work in progress pics from where I've been fettling it.

I can't think what else to put up without boring you.

Rides
    Wow that is insanely clean, fair play to you!

Can you still buy all the front bumper brackets?

Rides
    As above, the car is amazing.

Rides
    I've got about 1500 pictures of the car and work in progress pics from where I've been fettling it.

I can't think what else to put up without boring you.
    I will give U a shout if I need a pic then

Mega impressed with this
    Pete

SXOC Member Number : 317

Rides
    When I fitted it 11-12 years ago, I did look at how I could keep the cowling and the answer was, I couldn't see a way to cut it down to be narrow enough.

Putting an IC out front would have meant longer pipework, cutting the battery tray and having a visibly nonstandard front end view.

The IC is a very early Apex IC and one of only half a dozen made apparently. It has 4 times the capacity of the original and unrestrictive pipework.

I know the IC, think it was based on one that Paul Whitehorn put together with Pace / Abbot Racing bits.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    Wow that is insanely clean, fair play to you!

Can you still buy all the front bumper brackets?
    Not at sensible prices. I made some of them from sheet metal but it was time consuming with a dolly and hammer

Rides
    OK. So, I've had a couple of requests for more info on the car now it is for sale so here is some more detail.

I'll try to add pics but let's face it, this is a shitload more info that your average car advert

So, here's more about the bodywork...

The usual areas of rust that all S13s suffer from haven't affected this car badly but they have all been dealt with before they became a problem.

The following has been done...

The turret tops (some rust was under the strenghening plates. All removed and treated and new strengthening plates). The driver’s side hasn’t been resprayed to cover the HD Electrox zinc primer. It’s been waiting for an engine bay respray that hasn’t happened.

At the same time, the front inner wings and front end including headlamp mounts were stripped back to bare metal and sprayed with HD Electrox. The front valence was removed and, stripped, primed in HD Electrox and resprayed in white.

The sills - passenger side repaired 8 years ago. Drivers side repaired this year and both sills resprayed. See Daz's pics for results.

Chassis Rails - There was an advisory this year on the MOT so both chassis rails have been professionally repaired and underside re-undersealed.

Rear spoiler - I removed the spoiler about 10 years ago and there was absolutely no rust in the bootlid but a small amount of rust in the spoiler itself. I treated the spoiler with rust inhibitor, coated it in coppergrease and refitted the spoiler sealing the front side with white silicone sealant. This stops water getting in when it rains but not sealing the back means any moisture can dry out. There is absolutely no sign of rust in the bootlid today. The spoiler itself has some slight (and I mean very slight) raising in the four areas where the metalwork in the spoiler has obviously corroded. New spoilers are available but at a cost of £300 plus rubberoid paint so I haven't bothered. Its not that noticeable. Check the pics.

The rear quarters - NO rust. Stripped to bare metal underneath and repainted with BH Electrox and Underseal

Front cross-member - A small amount of rust found about 8 years ago due to build up of leaves. Cleaned up, primed and painted gloss black. I have a brand new cross member if you want it.

Front bumpers - 2 yrs ago all brackets stripped, new brackets made as necessary and all painted with BH Electrox and gloss black paint then reassembled and all nuts covers in grease. See earlier posts for pics.

Rear Bumpers - Same but done this year, rear numberplate bracket replace with primed and painted NOS bracket and rear bumper professionally resprayed to remove starring. See earlier posts for pics.

Floorpan - Rear subframe forwards - Taken back to bar at all seams, cleaned up with Deoxy-Gel and wire brush to remove ALL traces of rust and primed with BH Electrox then undersealed.

Rear subframe - This is the only area that I've not yet got around to. The subframe itself has rust but not structural. In my opinion, it could quite easily be removed, acid dipped and powdercoated. I have a spare that has already been powdercoated in purple ( ) that I was going to fit so that I could keep the car on the road while I got the original powdercoated in black. I haven't got around to it.

My plan was to remove the petrol tank and clean up behind it and the tank itself and the neck which is prone to corrosion. From what I can see, its only minor surface rust up there ATM and there is no evidence of any perforation of the filler neck.

I'll add some pics tomorrow. I've timed out today.

Rides
    Brakes suspension and interior....

The other thing I was going to do was replace the rear calipers. I have rebuilt the originals a couple of times to keep them sweet over the years. I then fully-restored a spare set of rears and fitted them while I did the originals properly. I have stripped the oriignals to bare metal, had them powdercoated black to match the 4-pot fronts and rebuilt them with all new seals and pistons but I've not got around to fitting them.
    Again see earlier posts for pics.

All brake lines are in good nick, all flexi-hoses have been replaced with quality braided hoses with the correct fittings.

All suspension arms except lower arms have been replaced with aftermarket (Apex) bushed arms, struts have been replaced with Apex Limo coilovers (the first pair ever made and tested on this car).

Front and rear strut braces have been fitted and the steering arms replaced with Tien track rods and ends.
    Interior is absolutely standard except in two respects. There is a boost gauge hidden in the ashtray and I have put a skinny spare in the spare wheel well so that the boot is flat.