Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Job: Resignation advice

Rides

New Job: Resignation advice

Just a QQ.

I've been offered a new role which I'm going to accept. Thing is stipulated in the new contract is that the offer of employment is subject to a positive reference from my current employer.

Now I am confident that I should receive one, but if current employer doesn't want to let me go then I believe they can refuse to provide a reference.

So when I sign the contract and return. Do I give notice to current employer before the reference is taken or after?

Rides
    Probably after, just incase your current employer doesn't give a good reference, but give your manager a heads-up.

I don't know where it would leave them legally if they intentionally blocked you getting a new job?

Rides
    what kinda position do you currently hold? you friendly with you manager/person above you?

just have an 'off the books chat' say you've been offered this job and it's something you want to pursue. I doubt they'd refuse to give a reference if your of any value to them.

Rides
    I was hoping this was one of those "What to do when i resign" threads.
    You know the ones where we discuss taking a poop on the boss's desk, filling the watercooler with laxatives ect..

...disappointed.

Rides
    As far as I know your present employer isn't legally obliged to give a reference, but they're not allowed to give a bad one. Accept the new job, and assuming you know your start date give your present employer notice up until your start date, then give your new employer details for obtaining references. If your present employer fail to provide a reference then try and get a couple of personal/professional references as back-up.

I'm going through this right now too but luckily I'm just changing departments in the same company. You'd think one would talk to the other to provide a reference since I've worked there nearly 10 years but that would be too easy.

Rides
    You've got a couple of good endorsements on your linkedin from BB so I wouldn't worry about it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    You've got a couple of good endorsements on your linkedin from BB so I wouldn't worry about it.
    So just sign contract and then give notice. I don't want to drag it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    I'm so glad I'm in construction sounds like working for a Corp they have always got you by the balls surely bettering your self is progression in life we all want that and refusing to give a ref just sounds like a half arsed excuse to say we have lost a good member of staff we will make him look like a c**t for leaving us it's Unfair with any luck they will be nice honour your decision to leave and let you get on .sorry for getting on my soap box I've just had this with the missis

Rides
    Never understood the whole reference thing. Means your existing employer has a hold on you.

Rides
    Talk to Doc. He'll know for definite.

I think (but not 100% sure) that your employer HAS to give you a minimal reference and this is what most cos give anyway.

The minimal reference states when you worked for them, what your job title was and (possibly I'm not sure) whether you were in a disciplinary process when you left.

I don't think they are allowed to refuse you a reference.

However, are you sure you want to work for a company that offers you a job subject to a satisfactory reference from your current employer ?

They're asking you to burn your bridges, basically.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Talk to Doc. He'll know for definite.

I think (but not 100% sure) that your employer HAS to give you a minimal reference and this is what most cos give anyway.

The minimal reference states when you worked for them, what your job title was and (possibly I'm not sure) whether you were in a disciplinary process when you left.

I don't think they are allowed to refuse you a reference.

However, are you sure you want to work for a company that offers you a job subject to a satisfactory reference from your current employer ?

They're asking you to burn your bridges, basically.
    It looks like a standard contract given out to all employees..... checks have to be carried out with the Solicitors Regulatory Authority etc

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Johnnys got it, they have to confirm that you have worked for them for x amount of time but can refuse to give any more information. Although this might suggest a "bad reference" for some companies only giving employment dates is policy anyway so recruiters dont tend to take too much notice.

Id also advise letting your current employer know that they are going to be contacted and why in advance, if the offer is dependent on the reference it has to be that way round. I dont like this system though as if anything goes wrong it leaves you on bad terms with your current employer but as Ben says, worst comes to the worst Im sure youll have colleagues who will be happy to vouch for you and tick the box

ETA: Im also a great believer that nearly everyone is a realist - if your boss got offer 15% more money, better prospects or a shorter commute he would take it so why shouldnt you? A lot of people get very nervous about this kind of thing but its not personal and shouldnt be taken that way by anyone involved. If its a better deal for you and youve been a good employee then any reasonable boss should encourage you to go for the better role.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    This doesn't help you Ash, but I had to give a reference once for an ex-employee at my shop. In the box for "Any other comments", I wrote the following :-

"Brian* turned up for work mostly on time"

I was mindful of that old "you can't say anything bad in a reference" and that was the first thing that popped into my head. In the 11 years we employed people, he was the only person we let go (until we closed the shop itself and had to let all the staff go ).

* not his real name

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
    This doesn't help you Ash, but I had to give a reference once for an ex-employee at my shop. In the box for "Any other comments", I wrote the following :-

"Brian* turned up for work mostly on time"

I was mindful of that old "you can't say anything bad in a reference" and that was the first thing that popped into my head. In the 11 years we employed people, he was the only person we let go (until we closed the shop itself and had to let all the staff go ).

* not his real name

lol should have said "Brian managed to perform basic tasks with assistance"

I do think the reference system means employers hold employees by the balls though.

Rides
    Thanks guys. Had a chat with Doc too. I'm going to go back to recruitment consultant on Monday. Tell them the concerns I have with the the wording of the contract. Ask if I can be given notice when the reference requests will be made, also when they accept the references and give notice then. And possibly a change. If they don't accept the references they would put me on notice which is 12 weeks. Id like that scrubbed. If they don't accept we simply withdraw from the agreement. And I don't give notice to my current employer. 1 this shows I'm not someone who doesn't think hard about things. Has to be seen in a good light

Rides
    In my personal experience, references haven't been taken up until after I've started the job and then only rarely.

If you have to tell your current employer that you have been offered another job and will take it as long as they (the current employer) give a good reference, that's not going to incentivise them to give you a good reference.

Its also going to make things awkward if you stay.

I'd expect you to take the new job, leave, maybe they take up the reference, if they do, your current employer should give you a good reference unless you already have a bad relationship with them or tell them to go fcuk themselves when you hand in your notice

Usually, when changing jobs, I've talked to the boss and basically said I'm leaving. I really want to make sure that the impact on the rest of the team is minimised. Can we formulate a plan so that the handover is as smooth as possible, I get to leave on the date I want to and everybody is left with a nice feeling about a job well done ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    In my personal experience, references haven't been taken up until after I've started the job and then only rarely.

If you have to tell your current employer that you have been offered another job and will take it as long as they (the current employer) give a good reference, that's not going to incentivise them to give you a good reference.

Its also going to make things awkward if you stay.

I'd expect you to take the new job, leave, maybe they take up the reference, if they do, your current employer should give you a good reference unless you already have a bad relationship with them or tell them to go fcuk themselves when you hand in your notice

Usually, when changing jobs, I've talked to the boss and basically said I'm leaving. I really want to make sure that the impact on the rest of the team is minimised. Can we formulate a plan so that the handover is as smooth as possible, I get to leave on the date I want to and everybody is left with a nice feeling about a job well done ?
    Another good point. Why is changing jobs so stressful?

Rides
    Because its usually impractical if not impossible to have two jobs at once and having no job usually involves being poor.

Changing from one job to another which potentially could be worse than the old job based on one or two one-hour interviews where you were trying to outthink the other person in the interview instead of trying to find out as much as possible about what the job is REALLY like...

Not surprising really.

Good luck

Rides
    That's the thing. I don't dislike my current job, I just hate the commute - but also not willing to move to Berkshire for personal reasons

Rides
    In my experience (and friends' too) you work your notice period, start your new job and THEN the new employer checks out your references. Like I said I would approach your boss and keep him/her informed as much as possible. Don't do anything until you've been given a formal offer of employment though. If you've got that already and know your start date, give your current employer notice and explain to your boss your reasons for leaving. That will all help your reference.