Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New Job: Resignation advice

Rides
    So had the conversation with the Director today..

As expected I get the Spiel that I am too valuable to let leave and how can we help to stop that happening?????

They'd promote me to Principal Analyst, Match Salary and allow me to work from home.... (No commute costs or time)

Got a lot of promises that I'm sure cannot be kept or will be broken, but I said I would think about it.

The thing is, I'd feel isolated working from home and after a 6 month review would get the "Can you come into the office" etc

Rides
    D'yknow, as an ex lawyer (heart attack stopped play) with a formerly fairly extensive employment law practice some things have been tickling away at the back of my mind. Reading and rereading this thread and trying to work out why it makes me uncomfortable.

Penny dropped.

Why would you wish to work for people who impose the utterly unreasonable condition that your new employment with them is subject to a positive reference from your previous employers ?

It's a shitty condition. You destroy your position with your existing employers, one way or the other. They now know that you want to leave and have their doubts about you. End of end of any future promotion if the move falls through.

If they really want to keep you and bugger up any arguments for a salary rise then they just have to refuse a positive reference thereby sterilising your marketability. You're stuck with them and they know you can't be trusted not to be looking elsewhere, jump ship, certainly not in line for promotion or enhanced terms and provisions.

New employer ? what sort of shits put a prospective valued new employee in that sort of position ? It is at the very least a forced bridge burning exercise, to their substantial advantage in negotiating as little as they can get away with on salary package etc (after all, where are you going to go with an ex-employer who now hates you and won't provide a positive reference ?)

Have to say, whole thing stinks and I am glad I am no longer up to my neck in it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
    D'yknow, as an ex lawyer (heart attack stopped play) with a formerly fairly extensive employment law practice some things have been tickling away at the back of my mind. Reading and rereading this thread and trying to work out why it makes me uncomfortable.

Penny dropped.

Why would you wish to work for people who impose the utterly unreasonable condition that your new employment with them is subject to a positive reference from your previous employers ?

It's a shitty condition. You destroy your position with your existing employers, one way or the other. They now know that you want to leave and have their doubts about you. End of end of any future promotion if the move falls through.

If they really want to keep you and bugger up any arguments for a salary rise then they just have to refuse a positive reference thereby sterilising your marketability. You're stuck with them and they know you can't be trusted not to be looking elsewhere, jump ship, certainly not in line for promotion or enhanced terms and provisions.

New employer ? what sort of shits put a prospective valued new employee in that sort of position ? It is at the very least a forced bridge burning exercise, to their substantial advantage in negotiating as little as they can get away with on salary package etc (after all, where are you going to go with an ex-employer who now hates you and won't provide a positive reference ?)

Have to say, whole thing stinks and I am glad I am no longer up to my neck in it.
    I'm not sure it does. I just found the letter of employment that I got from BlackBerry when I joined and it said the same thing. So I may be reading more into it. How do they know you haven't lied on your CV / through your teeth in the interview?

The letter I got from them reads very much like a standard letter. There are checks and balances that need to be made when hiring a lawyer etc

Rides
    I may just be being inappropriately negative... as a lawyer your training is always looking for the problems, drawbacks and things that can go wrong.

As Mark McCormack said in "Everything they didn't teach me at Yale Law School"* a lawyer can screw up any deal if you let them, + a 2,000 page contract is no protection between people who don't trust each other, and a single page of A4 and a handshake suffices between people who do trust each other to be fair and honest.

Good luck with the job anyway, trust I am wrong as a very wrong thing and that it goes well with you.

* The lesser known sequel / companion to "Everything they didn't teach me at Harvard Business School"

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
    I may just be being inappropriately negative... as a lawyer your training is always looking for the problems, drawbacks and things that can go wrong.

As Mark McCormack said in "Everything they didn't teach me at Yale Law School"* a lawyer can screw up any deal if you let them, + a 2,000 page contract is no protection between people who don't trust each other, and a single page of A4 and a handshake suffices between people who do trust each other to be fair and honest.

Good luck with the job anyway, trust I am wrong as a very wrong thing and that it goes well with you.

* The lesser known sequel / companion to "Everything they didn't teach me at Harvard Business School"
    I wasn't dismissing what you said, trying to be positive about the whole thing. A lot going on in my life at the moment and positive thoughts seem to be winning.

As a lawyer who has worked for a law firm, I appreciate everything you have said. I'm trying to do this in a way that I don't burn my bridges with current company. They want me to stay, for personal reason I think it would be best for me to have a change and do something new, but leave the door open, you never know what might happen. They have done that with a colleague before and it ended well for them.

The main thing, don't leave on bad terms

Rides
    Once they are aware you want to leave you have to, they can promise lots to you but it's often to buy time to work out how to cover you, you can never feel as safe again.

I hate working from home as well, just miss the atmosphere and interaction from being in a good office.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Contract with new company signed yesterday. So today was the day.

I QUIT!

Mixed feelings. But on the whole very happy.

Rides
    Woot much respect big awesome such excitement.

Good move mate.

Rides
    They always say fortune favours the brave.

Rides
    Good luck Ash and hope it all works out for you

Rides
    It's the best decision. There are reasons you decided to leave. They don't go away if you stay.

Rides
    Thanks guys. Director wasn't happy, but the way I see it is you don't get an opportunity coming like this very often. My immediate manager said I have to say this "How can we make you stay?" Then straight afterwards said, you would be a fool not to take it. So I know it is the right decision.

Now I'm that positive about change thinking I should use this opportunity to change other things (I have time and the energy to go to a gym for instance)

Good times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    And so the "We need you to stay" has started......

Canada have contacted me to say, we'll promote you to Principal Analyst and you can work from home permanently.

I'm saying no, because I have seen how much the PAs (Principal Analysts) have to travel, so will defeat the I want to spend more time at home etc... And I don't want to work from home. I feel isolated and would probably be less productive....... (whats on TV, sure there is something to do around the house or garden) etc

Rides
    And I have just worked out the difference... taking into the reduction in commuter costs. It is the equivalent of a significant pay rise

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    And I have just worked out the difference... taking into the reduction in commuter costs. It is the equivalent of a significant pay rise
    Stick by your guns - decision has been made and you're happy with it mate.

Rides
    Agree with Arry.

You have to factor in quality of life as well, that is really important.

I am in the reverse situation to you, I have the chance of a really good job, although am already in a good one, but this one is better and could be worth near £10k more. The problem is I like the current one, work with nice people, have 10 mile commute on country roads only about 15 to 20 mins etc.

The new one is triple that, through bad congestion so from getting up at 0630 I'd be getting home at 1830 and lose a lot of that extra in 40% tax, the commute extra from 5k to 15k miles per year I reckon will cost £3k per year for fuel, depreciation of all those miles, running costs at best, plus tolls for a bridge. Factor in that £3k would be £5k on pay due to tax so that means I'd only end up with £2k, maybe £3k at best in my pocket as extra.

When you factor in the extra 10 hours a week commuting, losing time to see Ted's after school activities, you have to ask yourself what is important in life, and having time is, for the gym, relax, see friends and so on. You get to a certain point where when you have the money to cover all you need a bit more is less important.

So stick to your guns and enjoy life more

Rides
    Arry, Oh I'm sticking to my guns.

Just the quality of life increase is the deciding factor. I'd have actually taken the new role for less money. The fact they were offering more is a bonus.

And as Scottie said, having time for the gym, relax and see friends is the most important thing. And not being so tired all the time.

For me, 10 miles (15 -20 minutes) isn't a commute, I appreciate it is for others. The way I'm looking at is - I just don't want to commute anymore.

Rides
    QOL is vital to me, i know folk on well over double my wage with a hellish commute, long day and vast stress.

Sod that for a game...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    For me, 10 miles (15 -20 minutes) isn't a commute, I appreciate it is for others. The way I'm looking at is - I just don't want to commute anymore.
    If they have showers at work you can cycle that. Then you don't need a gym.

I was 1 day away from having to cycle when the fuel blockade ended.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    QOL is vital to me, i know folk on well over double my wage with a hellish commute, long day and vast stress.

Sod that for a game...

this, the main thing for me is as long as I can pay my bills at the end of the month, have a few quid spare for fags and the odd bit for my car. that's it I'm happy. same as you I've got very high earning friends, but they don't seem to enjoy the money, what's the point? you only live once.