Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underseal Advice

Rides

Underseal Advice

I'm currently doing what I can to clean up my s13 and my mind has come to under-sealing at the moment. I've read loads of threads but can't really find exactly what I'm looking for in terms of advice.

I don't currently have access to a compressor but I may be able to get one so spray can's are preferable for now. There are spots of rust that I will clean up(Anything worse will be patched up) and so it needs to be protected. This will mean I have an underside of bare metal and the current paint that's been on the car it's entire life.

I want a product or multiple that will go over both the paint and the bare metal. Ideally I don't want to strip the whole underside to bare metal for products like por15 rust preventative. There are mixed opinions on how well this sticks to paint so I'm not confident that would do the job(Also seen many bad reviews for hammerite products). I do have some bilt hamber electrox currently. If I sprayed that onto the bare metal areas, what could I coat the whole underside in and stonechip over just for even further protection?

If you managed to understand all this, any advice on what products to use would be much appreciated. An ideal product would be something I can stick over both the factory paint and electrox that will adhere well and be overcoatable(stonechip) straight from a can. If needed a compressor can be sourced for a gun.

Thanks!
    Last edited by JackB; 05-08-2016 at 18:20.

Rides
    Bilthamber's epoxy mastic is designed to go over paint, electrox or hydrate 80 then you can either leave it at that or apply a stonechip (or similar) product over the top of it.

Rides
    I used this thread for advice when doing mine a few months back - http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?5...ight=underseal

and these are the products that used -

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/galvan...prays/7653759/

http://www.3mdirect.co.uk/3m-underbo...g-1-litre.html

http://www.por15.co.uk/

i have to say that if you can get a compressor and a gun then do it, its so much easier and the cans of schutz just screw on then its just point and shoot with the gun, it covers nicer and isn't as messy

and use the krust to convert any surface rust!

Rides
    Thank you both.

Looks like I have a choice to make then.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew8717 View Post
    I used this thread for advice when doing mine a few months back - http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?5...ight=underseal

and these are the products that used -

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/galvan...prays/7653759/

http://www.3mdirect.co.uk/3m-underbo...g-1-litre.html

http://www.por15.co.uk/

i have to say that if you can get a compressor and a gun then do it, its so much easier and the cans of schutz just screw on then its just point and shoot with the gun, it covers nicer and isn't as messy

and use the krust to convert any surface rust!
    Can the 3M be over coated if need be?

Rides
    Never mind I just read it's not over-paintable. I'll look into both more and see what suits me best then. Thanks for the recommendations.

Rides
    Looking for advice on this also, have the underbody stripped

Rot cut out and plate welded in, about to steam seal with tiger seal,
    Was thinking etch primer but what should i paint on afterwards?
    I dont want to have to paint and then lacure it soooo much effort!!!...

Just want something black to go over the etch primer, then a waxoil sealent afterwards or that.

Rides
    etch primer should only be sprayed on lightly any way.

I wouldn't bother with all the magic potion rust removers just wire wheel/grind any surface rust then blast the whole thing with an epoxy primer. you can roller / brush it on if you don't have a compressor. it sticks just as good to bare metal / paint / rust.

rust needs moisture/oxygen to spread.

Rides
    Currently I'm decided on wire wheel/deox gel/blasting any rust off and then in order:
    zinc primer
    Epoxy mastic from bilt hamber
    stonechip

The epoxy mastic looks like a good option for what you want. It's fairly expensive but it'll stick well and it can topcoated as well if you want further protection.

Rides
    3m isn't overpaintable but is awesome stuff!!!

Rides
    I would just go with a epoxy primer brush or roller panited on then your top coat i.e stone chip. The epoxy is cheap enough of ebay and gives great results.

Rides
    So i cant brush on Etch Primer...? So ill be looking at a epoxy primer or a Zinc primer insted?

Went to B&Q and seen a tin of this for €50.. it says there is no need for a primer but i will probably use one anyway... would this be ok to use as a top coat? And then a wax oil over it?

Last edited by ali-d1936; 11-08-2016 at 17:30.

Rides
    hammerite is shit on smooth surfaces. if you had an old farm gate the was covered in surface rust then it would be the coating of choice.

as me and paul suggested just give it a damn good coat of epoxy primer. no need for any rust treatment potions or acid etch. put it straight over bare metal/your wire brushed off rust/keyed old paint. then paint it with stone chip or Shultz or both.

Rides
    Take the hammerite back and get your money back.

The underside of my car has BH Electrox (can be brushed on or sprayed), then underseal (brushed on).

If you want to go over the top, you could do electrox then BH Epoxy Mastic then underseal but the Epoxy Mastic really needs spraying so you need the two packs of Epoxy Mastic and some special thinners.

Rides
    you can brush epoxy on. it wont be much fun but ive heard of it being done before. you would obviously get brush marks and build up of layers but it wont matter for the underside of a car.

some body shops roller primer on when doing small repairs to save on masking.

what im trying to get at jonny is that you will get a better key sticking the epoxy straight over the freshly ground off rust than putting it over rust preventer.

Rides
    BH epoxy mastic is designed to go over electrox though.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Haven't read all the thread so apologies if repeated. I wore wheeled my arches etc back to bare metal, K-rusted, zinc primed then Under-sealed on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Take the hammerite back and get your money back.

The underside of my car has BH Electrox (can be brushed on or sprayed), then underseal (brushed on).

If you want to go over the top, you could do electrox then BH Epoxy Mastic then underseal but the Epoxy Mastic really needs spraying so you need the two packs of Epoxy Mastic and some special thinners.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel90 View Post
    Haven't read all the thread so apologies if repeated. I wore wheeled my arches etc back to bare metal, K-rusted, zinc primed then Under-sealed on top.

When you guys say you've used underseal, what is the actual product name you used?

Rides
    You cant coat over Hammerite either its useless.
    This is what I use:

http://www.jawel.co.uk/index.php?mai...oducts_id=3391

Its 2k so you dont want to spray it but its ok to apply by brush or roller if you use a mask. You dont get many brush marks as its very thick and flows well when you paint it.

You can then stonechip or paint whatever you want over it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    When you guys say you've used underseal, what is the actual product name you used?
    Hammerite Wax Oil... Yellow can with an old car on it. Can't miss it, just google wax oil and you'll see

Rides
    I am also using Hammerite Waxoyl Underseal and brushing it on but if I was buying again, I think I'd go with a plain underseal from someone like 3M.

Maybe something like this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-3M-Car...-/111967423446

The waxoyl seems to make it relatively runny (compared to regular underseal) and takes days to set.
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 12-08-2016 at 10:24.