Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What encourages you to become paid members?

Rides
    Ive been a member for less than a year I try to attend as much as possible I've not met one dick yet and some how got a rep job loving it

Rides
    Ive just joined today and im only here for some info.
    I became a member because i think its more that fair for me to pay membership fee to keep a site like this going so people like me can have somewhere to turn to for a little help.

Rides
    As above, that's a perfect statement.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BWanderers View Post
    Cheeky Gheet! I am an Old Member (too old for this malarkey anhhoo!) & as a Wanderer, I've never given up my membership since I joined in 2008. Even though I've not driven my car in over two years, & no more than 4 miles to my local Bostin Fittle meet in the last 3 years, The Weekender alone was worth the 20 notes. Add to that all the help & advice I've had from the site/members/traders, £20 is fine. More track days would be good, but I've taken a Saab estate to the last few & a misnamed Passat Sport estate to the water sports Weekender event at Blyton Park.

When I eventually get my car back on the road I'd certainly come to shows, T.days & continue Weekender attendance.

R.
    Lol i wasn't referring to you!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
    I've not met one dick yet
    Hello..

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by steven h View Post
    Ive just joined today and im only here for some info.
    I became a member because i think its more that fair for me to pay membership fee to keep a site like this going so people like me can have somewhere to turn to for a little help.
    Thank you for the support hope you get all the info you need and more!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Hello..
    Lol trust you bud. point to be made you find people like this and ash 200 who start the most funny shit check out finger in the bum or ex girlfriend posts

Rides
    I never seem to be able to make any meets, but the information and advice on here is awesome so I am happy to pay the small membership fee. Well worth it in the grand scheme of things.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Wow, this is why I love this place, the people make it and that is why I renew year in year out :
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    I think as others have said, face**** and shitter seem to be the new media's for people, I don't use them myself but every twat I know uses them extensively and only follows shit going on, on them.

I originally became a member for the old track 'n road rolling road day when I had my first s13, I think more events like that capture people, I used to attend HWH when I could, last time I showed up was a fair while ago now but they seemed to be nearly non existent in terms of appearances .

my suggestions would be.

track days, these are events everyone can get involved in, many of us have moved on from s bodies, and track days are a 'universal' thing. worth noting not drift days, plenty of the members have moved on to performance orientated fwd and 4wd cars too.

possible a santa pod/north weald drag day type events? again something everyone can get involved in.

rolling road days would be cool again, that's what got me interested and I know quite a few people turned up as it was a laugh etc

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    The above events are exactly what pointz is organising currently.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

JAPOKYO! cos im made of special! (Nuneaton)
    Rides
    Ive been apaid up member since 2003 and even though i dont have a 200 anymore and as such dont have as much reason to post i still visit the forum every day. Ill continue to pay each year to keep this place going as back when I first got my sx it saved me a ton of time and money through peoples help. Some of the people I met though this club have become friends for life, and no other forum ive been part of has the same vibe as this place
    Its gone!

Rides
    When I first joined the club back in 2008 I looked at all the join dates of the other paid-up members and saw 2001/2002 etc and enjoyed being a noobie finding out about S-Bodies and the like.

Now, 8 years on, I'm in that position of being a long-term member and it seems mental that I have owned my 200 for that amount of time and I feel I should repay the club's wealth of knowledge with my £20 renewal.

Before joining the club I wouldn't have thought I would have had a hope in hell's chance changing my own clutch or turbo gaskets but that is the sort of knowledge available here. Bennyboy has done a great job getting the local meets going again in the Surrey area and the last joint meet we had with the Hants lot had an awesome turn out.

Rides
    I joined for the same reason as many others the knowledge on here is brilliant and most of the time a question gets asked there is some brilliant answers given

I can't say I've financially gained from being a member as I've not really used the discounts ect but I'm happy to pay a few quid a year in the knowledge that if I have a problem there is usually an answer on this forum

I will say 20 quid is on the higher side of the price range for forum memberships but personally not an issue for me and with the numbers of the sx dropping the members will always be fewer compaired to say a vw or Bmw forum due to sheer numbers

Rides
    I was only going to renew if I went to the weekender but obviously it was cancelled. This is the first time in 12 years I've let it lapse but if I'm not going to any events it seems pointless.

I haven't browsed the forum outside work in years either.

Rides
    My original intentions when paying up to be a full member was to get some good discounts, and it made my insurance cheaper!

But in reality, i'm on my 3rd year as a full member and i pay because it helps the club, i've been helped many times finding useful information and getting good advice from people on here so i feel its only right i put back in.

Saying that i do feel like some of the traders are making less and less effort to advertise on here, plus the discounts have dried up lately .

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamRPS13 View Post
    My original intentions when paying up to be a full member was to get some good discounts, and it made my insurance cheaper!

But in reality, i'm on my 3rd year as a full member and i pay because it helps the club, i've been helped many times finding useful information and getting good advice from people on here so i feel its only right i put back in.

Saying that i do feel like some of the traders are making less and less effort to advertise on here, plus the discounts have dried up lately .
    it's unfortunately due to decline of the sbody, one of the key sellers for me was apex and dB power, they've both moved on unfortunately. even when moving away from s bodies I got coil overs and bits from Bren and so fourth, it's hard for alot of places now. mx5 mk1 parts and owners are having the same issues. even the e36 forums I'm on have dried up alot the last year or so, there's like 3 active traders left on some of them at best.

unfortunately people I know from sxoc have moved on alot from cars in general, or aren't really into the 'scene' anymore

Rides
    Due to lack of trade support many British car and bike owners clubs have had to run their own spares schemes. Many are stocked by buying up stock from the last 2/3 dealers that had obtained large spares inventory by buying up factory stocks. I know of 2 stockists of Royal Enfield parts so they don't need a spares scheme. A major issue with factory closure sales is they contain a lot of WIP and this results in no end of problems with stuff that was 1/2/3 processes short of being finished.

http://www.fordcortinamk2oc.co.uk/
    http://railton.org/spares-scheme
    http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/come...ndProducts.asp
    https://www.bdcl.org/membership/spares-schemes
    http://www.velocetteowners.com/sparesco/sparesco.html
    http://www.standardmotorclub.org.uk/spares_scheme.html

er. Clearly the intent is there, whether a stock exists is unknown.
    http://www.austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk/ClubSpares.aspx

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    I pay my cash to keep the lights on as the wealth of knowledge contained in here should be kept.

Rides
    Some of my thoughts might raise some hackles but what the hell, here goes..

I don't think the club should be encouraging activity on facebook at the expense of the forum as a drop in footfall on the forum will discourage membership. Encourage people to link to the forum from facebook. How hard is it to click through ?

I think the club should be subsidising events that are not SXOC-driven (e.g. The weekender is SXOC-driven) but that have an "multi manufacturer" flavour such as classic car shows jap shows etc. By this I mean subbing ticket prices of Helmingham, Japfest etc. by a small amount per ticket (£5 ?) rather than subbing The Weekender to the tune of £25 a ticket (I don't know what the subsidy is for the Weekender but I've been told it puts a big dint in the finances).

Encouraging people to go to local meets and also encouraging local areas to attend neighbouring meets is, I think, a good idea as is mixing up the dates and times as otherwise some people will get left out. Advertise the meets on facebook by linking to the threads on the forum. Add food and free soft drinks, encourage parts swapping and hold the meets where other things are going on. e.g. A few HC meets were held at The Goat to coincide with a classic car meet so lots of new and interesting stuff to look at. Maybe meet where there is banger racing or drifting or karting or BMX stunting or a knitting or dogging event ! - It doesn't have to be an official SXOC attended event. Just a local meet coinciding with the event. Alternatively, see if a group-discount ticket can be had for a fun fair like Adventure Island, Legoland, a car/motorcycle museum, a local race meet or whatever.

Over the last few years, I've been offering parts (and free physical help) to members at substantially reduced prices compared to the prices offered to non-members. If all members were encouraged to do this, it would help club spirit and add another incentive to be a member.

I think what keeps people renewing their membership is the knowledge-base and a sense of fairness (take out and put in) plus a shared love of cars. What is a really nice bonus is the idea of getting some or all of the money back in subsidies/discounts.

At the end of the day, if the club is going to continue to work, it needs people to put in more than they take out.

Anyone (member or non-member) that is taking out more than they are putting in...Well, you're not really helping the club are you ?
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 08-08-2016 at 11:24.