Thread: S13 Speed sensor from gearbox

Rides

S13 Speed sensor from gearbox

I bought my second s13 yesterday & I am just in the process of getting ready for its mot .

Anyway on the drive home (I had it booked in for an MOT ) the speedo stopped working.
    I think it is the speed sensor but I am wondering if anybody has any ideas. I have read about possible faults with the clocks but I was thinking speed sensor as the gearbox oil was slightly low & if the gearbox isn't full then the speed sensor does not get the lubrication it needs. The car has been stood for about a year.
    I did connect a multimeter to it & set it to ohms & it is almost an open circuit & when I turn the sensors plastic cog by hand the readings don't change at all.
    The sensor also feels slightly 'notchy' so any thoughts welcome. I have started a thread in the wanted section for the sensor already as maybe someone has a gearbox with the sensor in there still.

Thanks in advance

Rides
    Mathew8717 has a sensor pm him sorry not much help
    Last edited by pointz; 21-07-2016 at 15:42.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    Mathew8717 has a sensor pm him sorry not much help
    Thanks, sorry I pm'd you by mistake

Rides
    speedo isnt checked on an MOT

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    speedo isnt checked on an MOT
    Oh I know but wanted this sorting anyway

Rides
    Ok here I thank green_s13 for sending me this part as promised & my speedo is now fixed.
    For anyone needing to test a speed sensor well maybe I can help. My old faulty sensor felt notchy & with a multimeter connected to the 2 wires (set to ohms) showed a reading of around 260 & when I turned the plastic wheel by hand the figures stayed the same, I even tried the voltage settings for good measure & still nothing.
    The new sensor however showed around the same 260 ohms but this changes significantly just by turning the sensor by hand & the sensor felt much smoother just like turning a small motor. I also tested the new sensor for a voltage reading set to DC & this also shows variable readings depending on how fast I turned the sensor.
    So in my case it was the sensor & not the usual clock issues I read about so there is an easy test for the sensor.
    The sensor is only held in with one 10mm bolt & get ready to catch a little gearbox oil when you remove this.

Rides
    jack the car up from the drivers side so the car is leaning towards the passenger side, that way the oil wont come out.
    if the red plastic gear on the end of your duff sender is good condition keep it as the tend to wear/get damaged.

Rides
    Ahh I did it on a ramp but good advice. I'll see if I can dig the old gear out of the bin :s