Thread: CA18DET Knocking (I think I killed it lol)

Rides

CA18DET Knocking (I think I killed it lol)

Hi Guys,

I have an S13 CA18DET. Its running a custom Horsham Developments Stage 3 map and is at around 290 bhp. The car is currently Automatic. The car is running on stock internals.

So what happened... Had the overdrive off to hold the revs up as I was playing with my mates on the way to North Weald. Anyway hit 120 mph in 3rd gear on the Auto box. Was close to redline or possibly redlined it.

I have either done the bottom end of the engine or the auto box. Spoke to a couple of S13 owners once I got there but haven't got any certain answers. I know I need to investigate further but does anyone know what this could be.

Here is a link to two videos where you can hear the knocking noise. You can hear it the best at around 1 min 45 seconds in video 2.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rvgsqmmot...8I3sxSMXa?dl=0

If any one who has had experience in killing their CA before could maybe tell me what I have broken. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Rides
    most likely (as sounds just like my dead CA) big ends, possible one is worse than the other three as not a constant knock (like all 4 are dead)
    another possible and worth checking before diving into the bottom end is the torque convertor bolts are loose and it is rattling on the flex plate
    get to them from bottom of bell housing
    if it is BIG ENDS try not run the car up to prevent any crank journal damage, possibly can fix with just shells if no crank damage

Rides
    Thanks mate. Been given the same advice regarding the big ends from a few people. Will check for the loose bolts.

Rides
    Hi. That does not sound like Big ends to me, more like a collapsed lifter or piston slap maybe ? big end tends to knock around 2500 rpm and yours sounds more tappy than the solid knocking of a spun shell and at too lower revs. here is a video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gft2g4WBMi0 ;-) ether way it does not sound good sorry buddy

Edit. The second video of yours sounds more like shells but the 1st one seems to consistent unless they are completely shot :-(
    Last edited by dawgstar; 02-08-2016 at 16:21.

Rides
    Thanks mate. If it was the auto box then that would have been good excuse to whack the manual in as I have the full conversion in the garage. N if the engines shot then time to save up and forge the one in the garage lol.

Rides
    I have a CA bottom end from an auto that was on 60/70k miles, the crank is very good/perfect with normal light bearing wear,
    stock rods/pistons and not over bored and bores are good,been kept in my house as well, I would let it go cheap as have more spare CA's than I will need

Rides
    Thanks mate but I have a spare CA myself in the garage that I may use for spares or forge depending on how bad the one in the car is. That was also out of an auto. Thanks though