Thread: Another What Turbo Thread :P

Rides

Another What Turbo Thread :P

Now before anyone shoots me I have used the search button and I have done alot of research on this topic!! Unfortunately a lot of the information is a couple of years old so i am just trying to get up to date opinions on this!!

Firstly I am aware of the hole 2871r turbo probably being the most ideal turbo for an sr of course depending on which housing it has etc!!
    But is there any turbo that is more say modern or up to date as the 2871r has been around for a few years now and the prices here in lovely Ireland are getting more expensive?? so what i am trying to say is what are the modern alternatives to the 2871r??

Another turbo I have been offered is a TD06 20g with a 10Cm housing (externally gated). Now i understand this turbo probably wont be the quickest spooling on the Sr but how bad can they be?? And top mounts look boss

Of course i will be doing all the supporting mods and realistically I am aiming for 350-370 hp!!

Any help is appreciated guys before i empty my bank account

Rides
    Yes, there's the whole Garrett GTX series and Borg Warner EFR to look at.

GTX2863R being a good modern alternative to the GT2871R or the Borg Warner EFR 6258

Wouldn't bother with a TD06 20G unless it's silly cheap

Rides
    The TD06 kit is €700 so about 590 pounds!! Includes manifold, downpipe and external wastegate!! Being realistic it will probably be laggy as hell and i can imagine a lot of stress on a standard block correct me if i am wrong?

I suppose a question i should ask is either of the turbos above a bit wasted on 350 horsepower??

Is the 2871r really the best bang for budget turbo??

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Yes, there's the whole Garrett GTX series and Borg Warner EFR to look at.

GTX2863R being a good modern alternative to the GT2871R or the Borg Warner EFR 6258

Wouldn't bother with a TD06 20G unless it's silly cheap
    Just had a look, and damn those BW are steep. I'm after something for the SR86 that's super fast spooling and doesn't need to produce any more than 330-350hp because I think I'll be wrecking my Vanette axle at much more than that.

Maybe a GT28RS or similar would be better for mine.
    Member 504