Thread: Manifold blowing.

Rides

Manifold blowing.

Ive had countless manifolds and countless cracks in various positions over the years. Its just accepted that eventually they crack. Just took one off (Apex i think) as its cracked on runner 4. There are a few other cracks forming on support braces and the support bracket is cracked.

Would you get it welded up or buy a replacement? Gaskets were tired but no leaks evident. I cant afford anything posh so would be Japspeed etc if i replaced it. What is the quality like these days?

Cheers Jon

FS: HKS SSQV recirc inserts, S14 eccentric rear arm lockout washer kits

Rides
    Maybe instead of buying new one spend a few quid having your current one tigged up and some reinforcements put onto it

Rides
    Its already got the little triangles in the flanges. Maybe i could get them made thicker. Would it be stronger if they flange welds were filled in with more weld?

Stu@GarageSR, Aberdeen GarageSR's Avatar
    Rides
    I have a few spare ones here, jperformance. Tbh all the "cheap" ones are pretty rubbish and crack eventually but the jperformance ones in my experience are the better ones of the bunch. £70+postage

Clickme

Rides
    Why not install the OEM manifold?
    Its totaly superior inn all aspacts vs these cheap POS china manifolds.....

Rides
    the little traingles as you put it don't really do much. its the same for the ones that have random strips welded between the runners.think of termal expansion and the fact you have thick welded to thin etc..
    a decent turbo brace between the turbo flange or the down pipe (3 bolt) flange is the best plan of action.
    I would just weld up the one you have if its not totally knackered.

Rides
    I don't have a standard one or i probably would consider it. There seems to be lots of arguments about when to swap from cast to stainless and what difference it makes. Anyone got a back to back dyno graph with and without and stainless manifold?

Is a brace from the elbow/down pipe to the gearbox just as good as flange to downpipe? I am modifying my downpipe at the moment anyway so it will give me great clearance.

Rides
    There are 2 unused threads in the engine block right near the elbow/downpipe join. I made a brace up that I welded to the downpipe to reduce any exhaust movement being transmitted to the elbow/turbo/manifold joints. That was on my old car and plan to do it again after a few hardware swaps on the exhaust side on my current one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Was swapping my new manifold and elbow onto my car today so was underneath and took a picture of the threaded holes I was mentioning

Also, I have a standard non EGR manifold from my 60k miles Silvia. Yours for postage cost if you want it as I'm never gonna use it again. PM me if you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    That looks like a decent position for a good bracket. Will let you know about the manifold