Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: am i being thick?

Rides
    yeah, you aint wrong! i emailed that parts company but they reakon they dont have anything that works at 5psi!
    Busy looking at saab 93 turbo and rover actuators to try and find a relevant one. 6psi seems to be the norm but theres soooo many variations on the blowers that im gonna have a meltdown...!
    Found one on ebay but refuse to pay £184 for an actuator when the turbo only cost me £30!!!! (snapped studs and lazy owner!!)

Rides
    The one Mark linked to on page 1 was £33

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    It is, you're right. But is it going to move with 5 psi up its trumpet?
    I cannae see anything that tells me it's spring rate.

Rides
    I feel like I'm working in the dark a bit here...

You have an old turbo.
    Its a GT1554 off a Vauxhall Vectra diesel.
    Its going onto what ? Why can it only get fed 5 psi ?
    Do you know the actuator is broken or do you suspect it is broken and did you suspect it was broken before you removed it from the turbo ?

I have to say, I have never heard of a turbo wastegate that was designed to be closed on big vac and open on little vac, atmospheric and positive boost. It makes no sense for that to be the case.

You also say you had a venturi set up to 14 psi vac. That is not possible as it would be an almost perfect vacuum. When boost is measured in psi, vac is measured in inHg. Do you mean -14 inHg for the vac reading ? A close throttle plenum will usually generate around -18 inHg at idle.

Rides
    Sorry Jonny, i'm being a spacktard. I'll explain.

i have an alfa 147, 1.6 16v 120ps. I'm building up a turbocharger set up using oem pistons and not lowering compression. So i can only run at a max of 5-6 psi above normal atmospheric.
    So i bought a manifold from a 1.9 jtd alfa (handy that the whole thing lines up bolt for bolt!) and landed upon a gt1544 from a vectra diesel. so i did some maths, got it wrong, swore a lot, then came here to turbo heaven and asked. Got my numbers corrected and it seems the gt1544 will do the job quite well.
    Made up parts, then noticed that the wastegate was hanging open. Usually theyre held shut by the spring, arent they. so i blew. nada.
    sucked and it closed. odd, thinks me.
    asked here. again.

i dont think the actuator is broken but i've not seen one do this before!!!
    i stuffed 14psi down my venturi, not saying it was perfect but it was a nice vacuum. it retracted, closing the wastegate. no amount of pressure would make it move.
    I realise i may have confused things. sorry.

Rides
    Y20dth engine. seems its off an astra and is vacuum operated! bloody vauxhalls....

Ok. Now need an actuator that holds shut till 5 or 6 psi then opens.

Rides
    So you are saying that an astra diesel has a turbo where the wastegate is held shut by some sort of ECU controlled vacuum generating pump that sucks it closed until the plenum achieves 5 psi when a MAP sensor tells the ECU to stop the pump and release the vacuum so that the wastegate can open ?

Well, fcuk me, that is a wonky way of going about operating a wastegate

Why ? Just why would you ?

Rides
    No fricking idea.
    I found lots of posts where peoples were having issues with vacuum solenoids. Can see why when you write it out like that.

I just emailed garrett. It really is hard work finding oem boost pressures for cars.
    I'm not being a tit and thinking I need a 5 psi when I need 14.7+5psi ? 20 psi would be meltdown central, wouldn't it???!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    So you are saying that an astra diesel has a turbo where the wastegate is held shut by some sort of ECU controlled vacuum generating pump that sucks it closed until the plenum achieves 5 psi when a MAP sensor tells the ECU to stop the pump and release the vacuum so that the wastegate can open ?

Well, fcuk me, that is a wonky way of going about operating a wastegate

Why ? Just why would you ?
    The only time I've seen that sort of setup is with series sequential turbos on a diesel to control the transition from low pressure to high pressure side. A lot of newer engines have vacuum pumps attached to the back of the oil pump to generate enough vacuum for brakes and what not (because they need a shit ton of assistance now-a-days apparently).

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    No fricking idea.
    I found lots of posts where peoples were having issues with vacuum solenoids. Can see why when you write it out like that.

I just emailed garrett. It really is hard work finding oem boost pressures for cars.
    I'm not being a tit and thinking I need a 5 psi when I need 14.7+5psi ? 20 psi would be meltdown central, wouldn't it???!!
    Nope. You don't want 20 psi

Rides
    Have a look at the VW/Audi ones from the 20V turbo motor, pretty sure they're low pressure

Rides
    Given some saabs share vx under pinnings maybe check out a low pressure turbo from a tid 9-3 ??

Rides
    Garrett were about as much use as a chocolate catalyst...

Rides

Does this look ok or am I going to kill myself/engine/hamster?

I'm looking at a PR of 1.35-1.4 max...
    Last edited by Egon; 03-01-2018 at 11:53.

Rides
    Mk3 tdi golfs run vacuum on the VNT turbos, their wastegate one runs a pressure actuator. That is the difference, VNT and wastegate. You'll find that Vauxhaull just didn't want another part or to change the way their system operated so they've made a wastegate turbo run a vacuum actuator instead. Where as the vw runs a whole different ecu setup just to run the different turbo on the same engine

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Given some saabs share vx under pinnings maybe check out a low pressure turbo from a tid 9-3 ??

Saab low pressure turbo lpt petrol was 5 psi iirc the 93 lpt was common ish,
    I don't think there was a lpt diesel + they run higher pressure stock so no use to you

Rides
    wont running a small diesel turbo on a petrol engine just give low down/instant spool power and nothing up top??

from what I know (not much) all petrol 9-3's except the 2.3L use the same 2.0L engine they just fit different turbos for different power levels. the 1.8t is a 2.0 with a smaller turbo. they use a td04 / tdo5 type turbo.
    Last edited by green_rs13; 02-01-2018 at 18:12.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    wont running a small diesel turbo on a petrol engine just give low down/instant spool power and nothing up top??
    Usually yes, even though they might run the same basic turbo family the config is usually different.
    Obviously there are exceptions but you've gotta check all the id codes and look up the spec to see if they will be compatible.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    Saab low pressure turbo lpt petrol was 5 psi iirc the 93 lpt was common ish,
    I don't think there was a lpt diesel + they run higher pressure stock so no use to you
    You're right. I must of been smoking some bad shit that day

The lpt version fitted to the early 2000ish petrol engines (B204E ?) had actuators that were 5.something. Diseasals were all something like 14 psi.