Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Male plug ends for ignition amp plugs

Rides
    That gluey gunge is like bogeys. Make sure you have something to stick them on and your fine lol!

I had a wall and then a piece of card board.

You have to make sure the metal is as clean as you can get it. Scratch it up a bit or rub it down with some fine sand paper. Make sure the goo is gone or the solder won't stick.

I ended up with this

Norfy got me thinking about plastic card stuff. So this happened

Then I went around the edge with some pu sealant (it's what I had open)

And this was the end product

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    you took the bottom off???? suppose it makes no real difference which end you take off.

and do you get a free cappuchino with that

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by norfy View Post
    you took the bottom off???? suppose it makes no real difference which end you take off.

and do you get a free cappuchino with that
    Does the top come off??? Lol! The bottom looked like the only bit that came off

The top is moulded plastic ain't it?

Costa drive through will be a doddle now

Rides
    yeah, the top cuts off, you can see the line of black plastic glue. i thought the bottom didnt come off haha.

Rides
    Not trying to pick fault with anybody, just asking because I'm curious for when I do mine.... instead of chopping up the amp and bridging the wires can you not just cut the plugs off and solder the wires together? Is there a reason you've bridged instead if you can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kingk View Post
    Not trying to pick fault with anybody, just asking because I'm curious for when I do mine.... instead of chopping up the amp and bridging the wires can you not just cut the plugs off and solder the wires together? Is there a reason you've bridged instead if you can?

Hi Mate,

You make a valid point.

2 reasons I did mine this way.

1. If I ever needed to go back to stock or sold the car to someone who wanted to, they could.

2. It's much nicer sitting in the warm and soldering, then bending over a car in the freezing cold trying to bridge wires in a awkward place

If you want to do it that way there is absolutely no reason not to. I think a few people have.

Rides
    Ok cool, luckily mines in a lock up so not too cold lol think I'll do it that way just to clean it up a little, my cars never going back to stock anyway

Rides
    I did mine about this time last year. Couldn't find male ends, and wiring specialities didn't offer that bypass harness (they were the first I asked). I ended up having a batch of dummy bypass PTUs made up by a company out of Hong Kong.

Modifying the stock one is a common option as well. I gave it a go, but my soldering looks like trash.
    The "top" is just a solid piece of molded plastic, so the only way in is the pry off the bottom.

So gooey.

I cut a bit of plastic for the back as well

This was the custom one I had manufactured and am currently using.

Rides
    interesting. i like the idea of this dummy unit, means it can be bolted down as per stock and saves the cables being unsecure. ive seen theres a few places in aus selling these, just looks more expensive than buying a second hand ptu and doing the work

Rides
    Available on ebay, still seems expensive (I've been thinking of removing mine for the Splitfires)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200SX-180SX-...-/222399929645

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Available on ebay, still seems expensive (I've been thinking of removing mine for the Splitfires)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200SX-180SX-...-/222399929645
    Lol, that was the company I used. Glad they liked my "crazy" idea enough to make more than the initial batch of 10 I bought.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by norfy View Post
    interesting. i like the idea of this dummy unit, means it can be bolted down as per stock and saves the cables being unsecure. ive seen theres a few places in aus selling these, just looks more expensive than buying a second hand ptu and doing the work
    This was what I was weighing up. Second hand PTU 40-70 quid.
    Bridging harness 40-50 quid.
    Dummy PTU 60 quid?

= hack up your PTU and buy a second hand one should you ever need or want to.

The only risk I saw was, if for any reason the new harness and coils didn't work, then you could easily switch back. However if they work as expected.. would you ever switch back?? Lol

If your coils and coil plugs/loom is all new there is no reason it would not work. Unless you don't know what you are doing or your wiring/soldering skills are questionable.

Last edited by CrazySx; 17-02-2017 at 13:19.

Rides
    Or just pop the pins out of the original connectors and use 2 x 2 pin jobbies that are really easy to find. 2 min job to swap back if you ever need to.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Or just pop the pins out of the original connectors and use 2 x 2 pin jobbies that are really easy to find. 2 min job to swap back if you ever need to.
    2x2? My problem was I could find the female ends. Can u get a female to female?

Rides
    he said just de-pin the loom side plugs, then join them.

Rides
    my reasoning for keeping it plug and play is that if i ever have a coil failure at the track i know theres a strong chance of someone with an sr being there.

ive found the male connectors in china but the terminals and boots are all seperate and i havent got round to searching for those just yet, plus you need to order in batches of 100.

want to fire a few emails out and work out how much it will cost me to get a batch here.

Rides
    Use 2 of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-3-4-5-...7Fmd2TYMJ0Xj4w

Cut the loom before the PTU and fit a female one of these.

That way you can just put a male one on the standard loom and on your VAG loom so can swap back whenever.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    This was what I was weighing up. Second hand PTU 40-70 quid.
    Bridging harness 40-50 quid.
    Dummy PTU 60 quid?

= hack up your PTU and buy a second hand one should you ever need or want to.
    I put up a WTB thread on a local forum and someone gave me 2 bad ones for free, I just paid shipping cost. Might be another option than tearing apart a perfectly good PTU.

Rides

Male plug ends for ignition amp plugs

Thing is with trying to keep it plug and play "just in case" is I thought the whole point of the vag conversion is because it's cheaper than split fires and they basically never die? So isn't all this I want to keep the look intact for no reason? By the time you've brought the extras needed to keep the loom etc aren't you bumping the cost of the vag conversion up to the same sort of price as going for splitfires?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kingk View Post
    Thing is with trying to keep it plug and play "just in case" is I thought the whole point of the vag conversion is because it's cheaper than split fires and they basically never die? So isn't all this I want to keep the look intact for no reason? By the time you've brought the extras needed to keep the loom etc aren't you bumping the cost of the vag conversion up to the same sort of price as going for splitfires?

I just did it for ease and convenience. The reversibility is just a bonus should it ever be required.

You never know. People may want to return the car to stock one day and sell the upgraded parts. We all know we never get back what we put in.