Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saab fans. This worth a punt?

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides

Saab fans. This worth a punt?

I need an auto estate for work and choice locally is somewhat limited without a crazy big petrol engine.

Found this but I know nowt about saabs.

So help me please. This any good?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...646076&alt=web

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Rides
    The S.I.D looks to have all its pixels, that's a good sign. It'll be a big agricultural lump of a thing but fairly bombproof. The 2.2tdi isn't the most groundbreaking engine ever.

I ran one a couple of years ago, bought it with some MOT on it, chopped it in when the next test was due. It never failed to start or complete a journey though it did have an issue with flashing the check engine light up and putting itself into limp home mode. Still did 70ish with that so was fine. Also smoked horrendously without seeming to lose any fluid or oil at all. Was over 150k on the clock when I traded it in.
    power-crazed Head-Mod

Rides
    All saabs are cheap so it makes,sense to pay pennies extra to get a well looked after, low mileage, top spec car.
    An aero with a high pressure turbo is what I would be looking for.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    All saabs are cheap so it makes,sense to pay pennies extra to get a well looked after, low mileage, top spec car.
    An aero with a high pressure turbo is what I would be looking for.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
    I have a 200 for the fun times mate. I don't need skinting by a big HOT Aero for my 'work van'

Rides
    I've got a 2.3 aero manual saloon and that is currently netting me an average of 31 mpg with a 7 mile trip to work through Coventry. Paid £855 for it and it has 145k miles on, only thing I've done so far is replace the climate display which suffers the same fate as the SID at the top with pixels going missing.

On a longer journey down to Shoreham on Tuesday the SID read 42 mpg - it over reads by about 5% so probably around 39 ish with the cruise control set at 65 mph for most of it. 300 miles to half a tank as a result!

Wonderful car for doing distance in. Run on regular 95. With an auto you'd probably be looking to drop that by another 10% but still not bad at all. Something amusing about a very squidgy barge with 260hp at its disposal.
    Last edited by zeppelin101; 08-07-2016 at 06:26.

Rides
    Most of my trips are sub 10 miles and 80% sub 2 miles.

Got a message back from the vendor and he was hoping for 850 having just spent 350 on tyres and little bits its test and a replacement turb shortly before that.

Rides
    Short journeys like that I'd stick with petrol. Diesels need to be up to temp to achieve mpg.

Rides
    Does it need to be auto? I'm selling my 330d if I can tempt you... (Shameless plug)

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drif...19-wheels.html

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Good cars, I have a dislike of the 2.2d engine though not a great engine, the 1.9 is much better but that's 2006-

If you can get it cheap then just use and abuse it, if it breaks bin it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by handsomedez View Post
    Does it need to be auto? I'm selling my 330d if I can tempt you... (Shameless plug)

Yeah mate Gwyn only has one leg so gotta be a slush box for us

Rides
    1.9tid is same engine as in astra 1.9cdti. Very good engine but sabb had better gearbox than astra but made slightly less mpg.

As said before diesels don't like short journeys but are ok if you make an extended one every week or so.

My astra estate is amazing. Does over 40 mpg most places and over 70 on a run.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Short journeys like that I'd stick with petrol. Diesels need to be up to temp to achieve mpg.
    See I have been discarding 2.4 NA Volvo V70s on economy grounds.

Rides
    How much economy do you need if you're only doing short hops ?

I'd deffo avoid diesels if you're not doing regular (at least weekly) 30+ minute dual carriageway or motorway work.

And I was suggesting an Aero just because they are a nicer place to be. A FWD wagon can't stand-in for any sort of weekend car.

What about an X-Type ? http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01606265272301 or similar.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant teSte View Post
    Yeah mate Gwyn only has one leg so gotta be a slush box for us

Sorry to hear that

In my experience diesels are always more economical than petrols, but I wouldn't recommend one with a DPF for short journeys. We've got an X5 3.0d that the woman uses for her dog-walking business so it's always doing door-to-door trips and averages about 30mpg. By comparison she used to have a petrol Honda HRV 1.6 which averaged high 20s for the same driving. Admittedly the cost saving may be negligible if you're not doing many miles.

I dabbled with a Saab 9-5 3.0 Tid before I bought my E46 and it was a great car other than the engine dropping a liner. Those engines are notorious so avoid that one.
    Last edited by handsomedez; 08-07-2016 at 10:16.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    No auto wagons local mate

Rides
    Sorry to hear that

In my experience diesels are always more economical than petrols, but I wouldn't recommend one with a DPF for short journeys. We've got an X5 3.0d that the woman uses for her dog-walking business so it's always doing door-to-door trips and averages about 30mpg. By comparison she used to have a petrol Honda HRV 1.6 which averaged high 20s for the same driving. Admittedly the cost saving may be negligible if you're not doing many miles.

I dabbled with a Saab 9-5 3.0 Tid before I bought my E46 and it was a great car other than the engine dropping a liner. Those engines are notorious so avoid that one.
    Don't be dude. She is better off without the right one. Was nowt but trouble

Rides
    Only thing with the petrol SAABs is the ignition cassette is almost a service item. Your only option seems to be OEM parts (the pattern parts are by general opinion worse) which aren't that cheap. I don't know what the service life is, it seems to be very dependent on how much of a lead foot you have. They are £270 to replace if you buy from partsforsaabs.com.

Only affects 9-3s up to 2002 and pretty well all 9-5s. They have a very early form of ion sensing built into the coil circuit and all 4 have to be replaced at once, hence the cost!

Rides
    Don't expect it to be any better than a Vectra. Because that's what it is. Even the Aeros are very much one trick ponies. Relatively speedy in a straight line, but big blancmanges in the corners, with pretty rubbish brakes. They get through bushes and brakes like nobody's business due to their weight. And the fact they're Vectras in a frock.
    Big inside though, OK place to be (if you're used to 90's Jap especially) but by no means on a par with 'premium' cars of their time.
    Later Aeros are widely recognised as being a bit more crap on fuel. Early Aeros fill their sumps with sludge and probably need the breathers replacing at some point as well, so If you get an early one make sure it's been run on fully synth and had the sump cleaned out, as well as the updated breather installed.
    Oh, and check the condition of the subframe bushes. They're a bit of a ballache to change (2 aren't bad, the other 4 require the frame dropping). Rear radius arm bushes fall apart as well, and they have a prodigious appetite for drop links.

However, they're cheap. But TBH the only thing I can see them having over their contemporaries is the Aero engine.
    I'd go for a V70 instead.

EDIT: Oh, and they chomp engine mounts as well.
    Last edited by Si; 08-07-2016 at 13:28.

Rides

I really like that! I'm after an estate and if this had 100k less miles on it and you didn't live at the opposite end of the country id be all over it! GLWS

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboywill View Post
    I really like that! I'm after an estate and if this had 100k less miles on it and you didn't live at the opposite end of the country id be all over it! GLWS
    Thanks man. Yeah it is a bit of a trek! Just about to stick it on gumtree and deal with all the roasters.