Thread: Gen 8 Honda Civic - 1.8 Vtec - which antifreeze?

Rides

Gen 8 Honda Civic - 1.8 Vtec - which antifreeze?

so I need to replace the temp sensor in my civics rad.... I have the sensor and just waiting for the weather to pick up,

but which antifreeze do I use, after some googling and 20000 threads of people saying "I only use genuine Honda" and mixed answers from American forums.

I assume as its a aluminium engine and 2006 Triple Qx OAT (pink) antifreeze is ok? although the Honda stuff is blue I have read a few things that say its a OAT?

Or

Do I use Triple Qx Blue? which I assume is the old style IAT stuff?

Purple/orange/yellow/green is not a option, as it is coming from our work garages and they only have pink or blue on offer with the "five finger discount"

could do with knowing - I want to try do it tomorrow (rain dependant)

Ta
    Last edited by DLowe; 30-06-2016 at 08:51.

Rides
    Honda genuine stuff is long life and called type 2 that contains etheline glycol. It comes premixed but can be diluted with distilled water though.

They have only offered one type of coolant that goes in everything in the last 15 years that I know of.

I went though all this when I had a load of Honda blue but had the Toyota and didnt want to buy red - basically you will be fine with a half decent OAT just make sure you fully flush all the old stuff out with a hose or something.

Are you replacing the sensor for the corrosion on the connector causing the fans to stick on ? If so get the bit of loom too

Rides
    That's the sensor I'm going for...... Going to get it off before looking at replacing the loom, the rest of it is pretty tidy round that area so I'm hoping it's saveable with some wd40 and care

I will get enough pink to flush the old out and complete refill the system then and hopefully should be ok

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Rides
    From what I remember if you want the official loom its the whole engine bay loom - we found that something like the parking sensor accessory loom extender (5 inches of wire with the correct connector on it) was alot cheaper and easier to use as a repair loom

Any corrosion in the connector at all then replace it or you will be in the same situation again in the future !