Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shock. SXOC user leaves S Bodies. Does NOT get BMW

Rides
    Amazing colour, must be the best r32 gtr colour. Very wise buy too, prices are just going up and up, if I had the cash I'd have as many as I could.

Looking forward to more indepth photos in the blog!

Rides
    Thanks for the compliments.

Almost a month into ownership now, maybe a little over, and nothing bad to report. Car has been a real hoot to drive. I've done more social driving in this than I did all year last year in the 200. That's not a knock on the 200 as a category, it's just mine was too much of an experience on a hot day

Having got to know it, sort out it's history and understand it, I've made a list of gremlins and work to be done. MGT Racing are close to me so I've contacted them for a cambelt / waterpump change, just waiting to hear back. The AC pulley is knackered and needs replacing, the radio only works with the headlights on (lol ) and only 1 speaker in the front works. it needs a lick of paint in places as there's some heavy contamination that you don't really see, but as the owner you notice, and the Sumitomo standard brakes are god awful. But apart from that all is tickety boo

No V5 through the post yet so no personal plate And the Rota's are on the chopping list.

Last edited by piman2k; 21-07-2016 at 11:50.

Rides
    Looks good mate

R33 GTR wheels and brakes all round would be my choice

Rides
    Thanks Ben

I was actually hunting for RPF1's but R33 GTR wheels are lovely, don't know why I never thought of them. Re: 33 brakes, there seems to be mixed opinions on them on the GT-R register. I was going to put 330mm K Sports on and leave the rears to be honest, but I'll bear it in mind

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Good choice!

You're not the only one that's gone non-BMW:

Pointblank - Ultima
    Cheekee - Jaguar XKR, tuned to ~600hp

Although I doubt very few people remember them now.....
    Umm. Me too! Miss my s14a but replaced with an Evo 2. No Bavarian car was ever considered.

Pi, lovely car mate! Would love one but the practicality of the 4 door mitsi suited things so much better. 2 kids and all that...

Rides
    I really wanted a 32, but insurance was just too high. Looks amazing!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Teggers View Post
    Pi, lovely car mate! Would love one but the practicality of the 4 door mitsi suited things so much better. 2 kids and all that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreos View Post
    I really wanted a 32, but insurance was just too high. Looks amazing!
    Many thanks to you both, I found the insurance really reasonably but I am also 32 so I guess it's not that big a deal. I have spent the last day or so rewiring the radio and repairing the speakers. Predictably it was a rats nest in there and nothing made any sense. Though the 32 is very simple to dismantle. Confronted with this:

I ended up soldering and heatshrinking a new ISO universal loom into it to create this, so at least now when I find a stereo I like I will be able to just plug and play;

Then it was a bath for the daily and a hoon for Stella;

Rides
    This isn't meant as any kind of snipe or jab, just a genuine question - are you still with GM? If so, how come no GM beast in your collection?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    This isn't meant as any kind of snipe or jab, just a genuine question - are you still with GM? If so, how come no GM beast in your collection?
    No snipe taken, not with GM any more. Transferred into Millbrook Proving Ground when GM chose to sell it 3 years ago. Didn't want to go back to working on Body Structure Design for one manufacturer so took a new job supervising the Design Office for the new Millbrook Advanced Vehicle Development.

No GM Vehicle in my fleet because it's cheaper to run my Ibiza than be on the Vauxhall car scheme (still entitled to it) even though the car scheme is superb value for money.

Rides
    re the brakes. go with r33 gtr setup, it's well proven and with a set of seals chucked on and in good nick they'll last year's without worry. never liked k sports and some of these other flashy brands, seen many problems with them and they don't last half as long (imo)

brembos would be more than enough stopping power for you

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zornyan View Post
    re the brakes. go with r33 gtr setup, it's well proven and with a set of seals chucked on and in good nick they'll last year's without worry. never liked k sports and some of these other flashy brands, seen many problems with them and they don't last half as long (imo)

brembos would be more than enough stopping power for you
    Thanks a lot Zornyan. I will be going for K Sports though. There are far too many reviews about the R33's being underwhelming and I have first hand experience of a K Sport kit from my 200. I am trying to stay with 17" wheels to run more tyre, but I may end up with 18's after all.

Rides
    The old Apex S13 Time Attack beasts got 356mm KSports under 17x9.5 Torques I think it was, so you should be OK with something along those lines if that helps?

Didn't realise you'd moved jobs, sounds like a good positive step in the right direction

I see the compromise on the car scheme thing too - a cheap monthly amount on something brand new that you know will never go wrong, if it does however you get it sorted for you with no downtime. Alternative is buy something outright, probably with a PD engine, and have it live forever and cheap to mend if it gives you trouble as they're mega-common. It's a tricky one sometimes! I actually dont know what I'd do given the choice.

Rides
    My fleet scheme is a 'just add fuel' scheme, so everything is paid for. And I can have a new Astra in a great spec for £250 a month or there abouts.

But the way I see it, for it to be value for money (ignoring the new car aspect) then my Ibiza would have to cost in excess of £3k a year (equivalent to 12 x £250) before it is not cost effective. I insure it for £300, tax it for £185, MoT it for £20, I've put £200 of tyres on it, £18 a month in warranty/breakdown and about £500 repairing it in total. I bought it for £2000 and it does 48mpg.

So it has cost me £4755 in total over my ownership against the £9000 a fleet car would have cost me. And all I do it go down the M1 every day.

Edit - Ben, I tell you what you could help with. Rota GTR's, 17 x 9, ET (I think) 12, how much do you think they'd go for without tyres?
    Last edited by piman2k; 01-08-2016 at 15:30.

Rides
    It's likely they're 17x9.5 ET12 or 17x9 ET25.

On Ebay you'd likely see £350-400 for them if they're in decent enough condition easily enough, a bit less if quite kerbed up. We sell used wheels on there from time to time, search our completed listings for inspiration if you like

Also, I wish I have the nerve to have bought an R32 GTR - hats off to you sir

Rides
    Many thanks, I will have them off at the weekend to see what they are for definite. I just wanted to get an idea. Appreciated.

Take the plunge. It's a very fun car.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    Also, I wish I have the nerve to have bought an R32 GTR - hats off to you sir
    What have you got to lose? It's not going to depreciate. Even if you buy a lemon and stick £10k into it sorting through the issues, if you're still driving it 3 years after that you'd have spent just as much (or as little if your cup is half full) as you would on a depreciating 6-7 year old BMW 335i.

Rides
    Granted. I just believe I'd ruin it, so I am running a 205Gti and MX5 Turbo so when one is broken, I can enjoy the other. Also now a focus daily... but I am polluting the thread.

I toyed with a R32GTR a few years back, but I just couldn't make the running of one add up for me, despite my best man maths. If I am too invested in a car, I can never push it as much as I can with one that has a degree of 'I dont care' still attached to it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    What have you got to lose? It's not going to depreciate. Even if you buy a lemon and stick £10k into it sorting through the issues, if you're still driving it 3 years after that you'd have spent just as much (or as little if your cup is half full) as you would on a depreciating 6-7 year old BMW 335i.

true, but on the flip side you could since 10k into a car that's rotting into a pile of dust, needs constant work, breaks down regularly and you have to 'nurse' all the time.

where as the 335i you pop a remap on, enjoy a ludicrously fast car that has every refinement you could want and you don't have to worry how many times your going to be replacing the turbo/engine/clutch this year again..

Rides
    you don't have to worry how many times your going to be replacing the turbo
    Au Contraire Mon Frere

They all do that sir

Sorry Piman - hijack over

Rides
    true, but on the flip side you could since 10k into a car that's rotting into a pile of dust, needs constant work, breaks down regularly and you have to 'nurse' all the time.

where as the 335i you pop a remap on, enjoy a ludicrously fast car that has every refinement you could want and you don't have to worry how many times your going to be replacing the turbo/engine/clutch this year again..
    Seems like a good plan.

Meanwhile, can anyone recommend a good supplier of replacement turbos for my shiny BMW 335i ?

It's done less than 60k and has already cost more than my ex-wife to run this year (admittedly my ex is higher mileage)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk