Thread: s14a sill rust :(

Rides

Unhappy s14a sill rust :(

Have bought an S14a which in the sellers term had "small patches of rust" on the rears of the sills which in reality ended up me being able to a put screwdriver through the majority of the inner and outer sill to which I now have a foot + long hole sill after tampering with them. Had 3 garages including a friends garage quote sill rebuilds at £500-£600 and 1 reputable garage based in kent offer a quote which meant not interested to put it simply. I am now worried the garages that quoted for £500 have not quoted to the extent of the rebuild and I will end up facing multiple additional charges as the repair progresses.

Would anyone be able to tell from the photos attached whether the shell is able to be saved from an imminent doom. Would like to do the welding myself but the only experience I have is in a college workshop welding fresh metal so welding a rusted 14 will probably end badly.

https://postimg.org/image/re1fup1e9/
    https://postimg.org/image/ogki7sqfr/
    https://postimg.org/image/j0zkrmdcn/179cf781/
    https://postimg.org/image/9b8tn1wtt/7a083c11/
    https://postimg.org/image/jxeqssqox/

Thanks

Rides
    Doesn't look much worse than mine bud. I had both rear inner and outta sills, bit of floor behind drivers seat and both boomerang mounts done, I supplied sill sections and the fabricated the rest, £300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kingk View Post
    Doesn't look much worse than mine bud. I had both rear inner and outta sills, bit of floor behind drivers seat and both boomerang mounts done, I supplied sill sections and the fabricated the rest, £300

Where were you able to source sill sections? can't for the life of me find s14 sills, the fronts of mine are also shot. But this sounds encouraging. And did you have someone else do this or was that the cost repaired yourself? thanks

Rides
    I got them off spice weasel before he stopped making them. Apparently a ka sill section is a good replacement? The garage charged me £300 for the welding and fabrication they done (not the neatest welding but it's a skid car) and I supplied sills so all in cost me probably more like £400?

Rides

Rides
    You're right looks very similar to the corrosion mine has just without the underseal to cover it up, I will look at going down the route of buying sill sections and getting them welded in that hopefully won't be too painful . Thanks for the replies

Rides
    Mine did have loads of underseal lol I cleaned it back to find good metal so they could see how far they'd have to replace and give me a more accurate quote and timescale

Rides
    Just to add, it helps if you strip out anything that could go on fire such as carpet, sound deadening, rear cards, wiring etc. Anything that makes the job a bit easier should help limit the cost.

Rides
    It's a fairly common problem, have a search of the forums and see how other people have tackled it.
    Yours doesn't look too bad but until you strip it back properly you won't know the full extent - the thing about that area is there's several layers of steel where the B pillar meets the sill and rear quarter panel so it can make repairing it 'fun'.

What I did
    Last edited by mantachris; 24-06-2016 at 22:06.

Rides
    I repaired much worse on mine so I wouldnt be too worried. You would be better off finding someone that knows these cars thou as it can be a bitch of a job to do properly. You really need to chop all the rot out particulary near the subframe mounts

Rides
    Best thing to do is do it yourself. I have learned to weld as a result of this. Have a look at my thread for tips if you like. I haven't finished yet.

I got quoted from 2k by a proper restoration place and 250 quid from a local garage who planned to just weld on the outer sills

It's a labour of love. Either you love the car or you don't

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk