Thread: Mitsubishi gto coil pack conversion

Rides

Mitsubishi gto coil pack conversion

Right I'm wondering if anybody can help me out here? When I brought my s14a the guy before me had converted the coil packs to Mitsubishi gto, he said it was basically the same as split fire coil packs? Now since owning the car I've realised most things he's done are a bit of a joke, bodged or half done, little bit of knowledge and all that lol anyway a few others have seen the conversion and said in theory it's a good thing to do, however apparently he should have removed the ignition amp? If any body knows anything about this and how it should be done please let me know as I've checked online but can't find a single thing about this specific type of conversion and I'd really like to tidy it up a bit as its a mess so whilst I'm at it id like to make sure it's all done correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    I don't know a great deal about the conversion but speaking with a friend who knows his shit, he said that basically you need to make sure the impedance (resistance) is the same. Otherwise you can damage your ecu. In theory this would just require a volt meter than can test resistance through the pins on the coilpacks.

I however have never done a test between standard coilpacks and "upgraded" packs to know the difference.
    I have access to free Audi coilpacks and was going to have a play with some and see what might work. Apparently as you've mentioned you need to remove the amplifier for these.

Hopefully someone with some facts and less fiction can help clarify

Rides
    It's already been converted bud, been on there a while now, I've had the car over a year! And ignition amp is still in place and it seems to run fine, but like I said a few people have said that the amp shouldn't be there anymore? One of the reasons for doing a conversion like this I've been told?

Rides
    After a fast google search, thes coils do need a ignition amp to work, Either the OEM or the mitsubishi one.
    How is the car setup now? 2 or 4 coils? the OEM mitsubishi setup is wasted spark, unlike the oem nissan system, witch got 4 sepearte coils.

Either way, if you are not happy with the current setup, a VAG COP should only set you back ~100 quid, and is kinda well documented.
    This may be ann easier and better option if you are not to into car electric work?

Rides
    I think it's 2? Here's some pics...

Basically I just wanted to check it was
    1. Done right
    2. Actually worth having?

As I wanted to tidy it up a bit, but if it's not even a worthwhile conversion I'll put the standard back in. Only stage 1a btw as well

Rides
    I got no experiences with the mits coils. But i would take 4 singel coils(oem SR20det coils) over 2 dual coils any day of the week. Dual coils(wasted spark), got no advantages over singel coils.

That engien bay looks horrible!!! get the oem coils back inn.
    Working OEM coils got no problems to support 2 times stage 1a power...

Rides
    Cheers, I'll probs go back to standard then

Rides
    I realise you have them installed already. I was just suggesting you might want to make a comparison and see if runs similar impedance.

I think you're right, for the sake of £40-£60 it's probably a wise choice to swap back to standard.
    I haven't seen car electrics that badly mounted since I bought my s13 and it came with the battery bungie tied to the rear strut brace (terminal sides touching the brace with a"battery mat" between

Rides

Good isn't it lol I know that everything there is either done with a choc block or twisted and taped :whack:

That's how the wiring was on the radio before I sorted it all out

Don't get why people can't just do things properly???

Last edited by kingk; 16-06-2016 at 06:14.

Rides
    Ahaha I know that rat nest feeling! Some people just don't know any better or are lazy and just want it to work now. I think they either don't care or realise the potential danger they could cause.

Nice work on the tidy up #satisfaction

Rides

Mate he tapped a live and earth feed from the radio, I can deal with that. But he used a choc block then decided the feed wasn't needed, but instead of pulling the cables from the chock block he just cut them, so I had live and Earth feed open just flapping about behind my dash?! :whack:

Rides
    G E N I U S!! Must of been after mad power gains!
    If it makes you feel any better main power cable from previous owners ghetto boot battery relocation was made of three pieces of varying gauge cable and all push fit into each other then taped up. One yank on that bad boy and sparks would of been flying!

Rides
    I've seen cars with cable tied batteries to strut braces. with the positive about 1mm from the brace. ...

one s13 I bought the guy ran a cable direct from the battery to the radio, and half of the wire was exposed.

people are ****ing dangerous

Rides

Yep I think we've all had a rats nest somewhere

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Galant_X View Post
    I got no experiences with the mits coils. But i would take 4 singel coils(oem SR20det coils) over 2 dual coils any day of the week. Dual coils(wasted spark), got no advantages over singel coils.

That engien bay looks horrible!!! get the oem coils back inn.
    Working OEM coils got no problems to support 2 times stage 1a power...
    Totally agree, this just looks like a cheap wasted spark conversion. Absolutely no benefit over a good set of OEM coils.