Thread: BMW 323 Spontaneous Purcahse

Rides

BMW 323 Spontaneous Purcahse

Picked up a 'lightened' (read:gutted interior) Bimmer last weekend, after an unplanned bid on eBay. I guess it is to replace my daily Ford Puma which I detested. The new car is low, loud and chavvy. not to mention really uncomfortable but I love it! Hopefully it will keep running well...

I will be changing the oil and doing a good crawl around under her this weekend. Hoping not to find anything orangy-brown under there. Plus I need to get a stereo wired up!!

Spec so far:
    1. LSD Diff
    2. Lightened flywheel
    3. Reconditioned/replaced engine (apparently)
    4. Lowered suspension (not coilovers and unsure of the drop or the make of the suspension - looks fairly standard)
    5. tow strap
    6. Stickers on windshield (should probably go)
    7. Poly-bushed
    8. Checkerplated floor
    9. AC Schnitzer pedals
    10. bonet clips
    11. Cobra bucket seats (Makes me sit bolt upright - did I mention that it's uncomfortable)
    12. sparco harness
    13. Removed interior and back seats
    14. Aftermarket mirrors
    15. Panel filter
    16. M sport gear shifter
    17. Clifford alarm & immobiliser
    18. Scorpion exhaust
    19. Hella halo/projection headlights

Rides
    Looks like it would have been a nice car before someone came along and 'modified' it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Looks like it would have been a nice car before someone came along and 'modified' it
    Ouch, yea it's not all to my taste but it's fun to drive and cheap, unlike s-bodies these days (the cheap part, I mean).

Rides
    looks ok,just check oil and water daily (in case either is leaking or being burnt) have a good look over it
    fix any faults that could leave you stranded before using it imo
    Your car buying is great entertainment and so varied
    what don't you like about the puma ?

Rides
    Ok, I'll do that. I think the first issue will be electric gremlins, what with the old alarm system. It's a bit finniky already.

Ha, thanks. I just like variety and a change. The girlfriend hates it!

The Puma was actually fun and handled brilliantly but it had water ingress in both footwells and a host of other niggly issues so I've got no love for her. Plus I just can't seem to accept front wheel drive.

Rides
    I too have an e36.

Remove the rubber feet and take a look at the 4 jacking points under the sills.
    My rear trailing arm bushes were shot but yours are poly bushed now so should be ok.

Great cars these.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyp View Post
    I too have an e36.

Remove the rubber feet and take a look at the 4 jacking points under the sills.
    My rear trailing arm bushes were shot but yours are poly bushed now so should be ok.

Great cars these.
    Yea, they're good. One of the previous owners has reinforced the front jacking points with heavy plate steel. Bit rusty now but I'll have a grind and a paingt of it soonish.

Having changed the oil and filter I noticed that there is a leak from what looks to be an oil drain bolt on the transmission. I was reluctant to loosen it until I'd done a bit of research. Cleaned up the area to see if I can pinpoint the leak. It might be the drain plug needs tightening but I tested the torque at 40nm and it was tighter than that so I'll hold off. Any knowledge of this being an issue?

Rides
    the oil is leaking from way higher up the gearbox casing, possibly from the breather at the very top of the casing if it has been over filled
    remove level plug to check how much is in there, if it has enough oil ,clean it off best you can and when using the car check it often
    for sign's were it it leaking from, if you can't find an obvious leak that is

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    the oil is leaking from way higher up the gearbox casing, possibly from the breather at the very top of the casing if it has been over filled
    remove level plug to check how much is in there, if it has enough oil ,clean it off best you can and when using the car check it often
    for sign's were it it leaking from, if you can't find an obvious leak that is
    Ok, I'll order some tranny fluid and do an oil change. It could be that he's overfilled it as the engine oil was too high.