Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone here use virgin broadband?

Rides
    More to it than just contention imho, extreme stupidity also has a factor

Rides
    Virgin have all their own infrastructure, it's the only way you'll ever be free of BT. I signed up for 100MB a couple of years ago and they may have increased the price by about 10% since then, but they also upped my speed to 150MB

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    I have Virgin in Dublin and by and large it's excellent with consistent up/down speeds.

The only thing I don't like is the wireless router is sh*t, but that's a relic from UPC, the company they bought out here.

Rides

Been with virgin media for the past 3-4 years..

They have been excellent. I'm on a 60mb package and for some reason my speed test shows I'm getting higher.. Although I doubt it.

I download often.. I rarely get throttled. The ping is great - no lag when online gaming.

Although I highly recommend them.. The past two weekends running I have lost internet on a Sunday for a few hours. First time its happened in 10 months. Then it happens twice in 10 days lol.

The only downside... When the internet is down.. It affects the TiVo also

Head SXOC Security and small penis department TheBigShow's Avatar
    Rides
    2g wifi on laptop

5g wifi on laptop

Virgin Vivid Package.

aparently the second image isnt working. meh, 180+ mbs

Rides
    You can't determine packet loss from ping tests. Most routers have ICMP (Ping) set to low priority and you will always see a certain amount of packet loss when using ICMP to test.

To test for real packet loss you need to perform a packet capture using something like wireshark and look for lost segments.

I just wish HyperOptic were in my area. Their gigabit broadband is ridiculous

Rides
    a friend of my does work for Colchester uni, was showing me a screenhot of their 1 gig internet, he downloaded a shit ton of films on his laptop and the speed was insane.

well virgin are going to install on the 5th of July apparently, they need to replace the cable from the cab to our house as apparently it's damaged. 200mb here I come! (I hope)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zornyan View Post
    a friend of my does work for Colchester uni, was showing me a screenhot of their 1 gig internet, he downloaded a shit ton of films on his laptop and the speed was insane.

well virgin are going to install on the 5th of July apparently, they need to replace the cable from the cab to our house as apparently it's damaged. 200mb here I come! (I hope)
    My seedbox is 10Gig connected and a 1080P (4GB) mkv of a Game of Thrones Episode downloads in seconds. That is why I want Gigabit

Rides
    You dont need massive bandwidth if you have intelligent proxy caches.
    We have moved our campus to a 100Mb connection to janet (although i can burst to a gig i believe) and its fast enough for 300+ Machines and well over a thousand students/staff, and it handles print traffic/file store ect..
    How can it cope, well the local proxy does a lot of the heavy lifting really.

Ok if you need to transfer big files/use torrent or stream a lot then a big fat pipe is nice but you can get away with a slower connection if need be.

Rides
    I agree with most of that, at my old place my sky 20mb broadband had a consistence 20ms ping, brilliant for gaming , no lag spikes at all and I was generally the host in p2p games like call of duty.

but now days everything needs a big bloody download, bought doom a few weeks back, the actual CD was only 10gb. had to download after 15gb from the net, and a lot of games on consoles are getting 2-3gb day one patches.

in that respect I think you need a decent download speed, otherwise it takes an eternity

Rides
    I've been with Virgin Media for about 4 years now. About 18 months or so ago I upgraded to 100mb for a fiver more than I had been paying for 20mb (so now £30ish quid a month, broadband only) and then a few months ago they upgraded me to 150mb for the cost of having a new router delivered. (About a fiver).

I've checked the speed a few times and I've been consistently getting 150-160mb at various times, possibly due to only having about 20 feet of coaxial from the building's cabinet to my router!

Rides

Rides
    I got a shiny new box off them a couple of months back, like a white tower thing. It's badass. I'm getting average 250mbps on the cable, and about 160mbps on wi-fi. Very happy camper indeed.

Rides
    Never going to see cable here, but then the bonus is i dont have to live in a city so.....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Never going to see cable here, but then the bonus is i dont have to live in a city so.....
    I don't live in a city either