Page 47 of 70 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: WOT No EU Referendum Thread?

Rides
    I don't know if you can say that for sure. I am pretty sure Farage would only leave Tory seats uncontested in exchange for the Brexit they want, which is no deal. Farage has been very vocal in his opposition for Johnson's 'new' deal.

Rides
    General Elections shouldn't be contested over a single issue. Having a 4 year government of the Brexit Party running all domestic & foreign policy would be a ****ing disaster, even if the country overwhelmingly wanted no deal.

Rides
    If there is a GE we will end up with either a Tory/Brexit or Lab/Lib government as no one would win outright control. I think the Lib Dems would actually get more seats than Labour or at least very close to them. Everyone has already forgotten about them selling out to the Tories and if it means they revoke Article 50 a large portion of the country will vote for them this one time.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    I don't know if you can say that for sure. I am pretty sure Farage would only leave Tory seats uncontested in exchange for the Brexit they want, which is no deal. Farage has been very vocal in his opposition for Johnson's 'new' deal.
    Yes, didn't he say something like he'd rather delay than take this deal?

Also don't forget quite how arrogant and self-centred he is, for years he's wanted a seat in Parliament and finally he might actually get a chance.
    If he can't strike a solid deal with Boris then don't be surprised if they throw out as many candidates as possible.

Rides
    So to summarise, a larger than expected majority for a second reading of the bill and a rejection of the 3 day timetable.

And despite BJ assuring the house 3 days would be enough to scrutinise and pass the bill un-amended, leaving less than a week to legislate on it, he has decided to pause the legislation until the EU decide on an extension position and press on with Yellowhammer.

There must be a logic. I suspect that it's partially out of spite and partially to lay the paving for a proper No Deal. Still, at least the EU is being advised to consider granting it by Mr. Tusk.

Rides
    All fun and games, but even though the bill won a good amount of support Labour still want to amend the thing massively, which is obviously pointless because the EU won't accept most of it.

General Election next I guess?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Yes, didn't he say something like he'd rather delay than take this deal?

Also don't forget quite how arrogant and self-centred he is, for years he's wanted a seat in Parliament and finally he might actually get a chance.
    If he can't strike a solid deal with Boris then don't be surprised if they throw out as many candidates as possible.
    A bit different from “I’d rather be dead in a ditch than have an extension “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    I can't see any more appetite for a GE than there was last month, but again, I'm no expert.

So now if the EU say yes to an extension, the remainder of the time will be used on amendments and legislation.

And then maybe, just maybe, this will all be over.

Rides
    It will never be over because if we do leave everything that goes wrong in the country will be because of Brexit. And we dont leave everything will be because we didnt leave. In 50 years time people will still be saying 'well yer, Brexit'

Labour dont seem to know how deals work, you cant agree to it and then say 'but we want to change most of it' This is the deal, either say yes and no FFS.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    There must be a logic. I suspect that it's partially out of spite and partially to lay the paving for a proper No Deal.
    I think the logic on the Con side is pretty much what youve said - continual rhetoric about how we just need to get a deal done, and how anyone standing in the way is "unconstitutional" with a hope that the people and their MPs by extension just get sick of the whole thing and go for the nearest exit which is Boris "sh1tter than May's" Deal.
    At the same time try and sneak No Deal through by fu cking with timescales and prorogues etc, pretty underhand and showing a total lack of integrity, I very much doubt Ill vote Tory again for a decent amount of time as I find it sickening the games they are trying to play with the country.

All of the opposition seem to be forming up in roughly the same camp - No Deal is not acceptable, by all means stick Boris's deal up for public approval but also have an option to remain. Make this a legally binding referendum (rather than advisory) and after its happened its job done, with any luck it will be much more of a majority one way or the other and we can all just get on with our lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Even if the commons approve the deal, doesn’t it then have to be passed by the House of Lords?

Rides
    I can't see any more appetite for a GE than there was last month, but again, I'm no expert.

So now if the EU say yes to an extension, the remainder of the time will be used on amendments and legislation.

And then maybe, just maybe, this will all be over.
    Problem is Labour, DUP and SNP all want to stick so many amendments onto the deal that it'll be worthless by the time it's done, changed so much the EU will refuse to accept it.
    In 3 months time we'll be back to where we started, arguments back and forth and zero progress.

General Election is needed to try and get change in Parliament and get something voted on.

Rides
    Everyone moaning about the electoral system....

You can't even contact an MP via normal channels if they don't represent your constituency (Parliamentary guidelines)

My MP is a useless out of touch **** who is just waiting to be given a place in the House of Lords, who after watching today's TV are even more out of touch than the commons. Most of them are doddery old ****s

Rant over

Rides
    I was pissed at the time when I voted for him

Rides
    I feel your pain, I am lumbered with Andrea Leadsom...

Rides
    I feel your pain, I am lumbered with Andrea Leadsom...
    Crikey. I wouldn’t even want her as a grandmother

Rides
    I’m going to vote Corbyn. Sorry Docrwa

Rides
    Remarkable double standards being applied recently. Rees-Mogg said that if Brexit wasn't delivered by 31/10 it would be 'the end of the Conservative Party', yet isn't batting an eye.

Corbyn stepping out of the House the other day to jeering from the front bench when no such behaviour when Johnson left.

And Johnson tabling a General Election for the fourth time in as near as makes no difference a fortnight, despite being heavily critical of May bringing the same things back to the house over and over again.

Rides
    And now JC is backing an election despite hopeless odds of not being able to win it and the rejection of a tonne of his MPs. This will be an interesting motion vote.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50221856

Rides
    He didn't have any other option considering the public statements Labour have made over the last weeks/months/years.

They've long backed an election, then they backed an election post-October. Now both have happened and there's no-where else to run, it's election time.