Page 17 of 70 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: WOT No EU Referendum Thread?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Problem with the Norway plus option. Is Access to the single market does not grant our financial services free access to the Eurozone. We have to expect that the banks will move at some point people who solely deal with Euro trades to an EU country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In that case we have to hope this drags on long enough for a new government with a different position to get in.

It's also not clear on what each leave person actually wants as in single market etc.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    In that case we have to hope this drags on long enough for a new government with a different position to get in.

It's also not clear on what each leave person actually wants as in single market etc.

they just need to get the ball rolling on us leaving, we've had the vote, I bet there wouldn't be a second referendum if the 'stay' patty had won.

start off the process, figure out how to leave and the best deals we can, get it over with so the country can move on

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zornyan View Post
    they just need to get the ball rolling on us leaving, we've had the vote, I bet there wouldn't be a second referendum if the 'stay' patty had won.

start off the process, figure out how to leave and the best deals we can, get it over with so the country can move on
    yes but you wouldn't need to put a second deal to the public would you if remain had won. They are not suggesting another In/Out referendum, but one to accept the deal that is reached.

so you are suggesting they submit article 50 and put themselves in a useless negotiating position before they have agreed a deal to access the single market?

there is leaving with a good deal or leaving at any cost, and to the vast majority the good deal bit is more important and that takes times.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Problem with the Norway plus option. Is Access to the single market does not grant our financial services free access to the Eurozone. We have to expect that the banks will move at some point people who solely deal with Euro trades to an EU country.
    The real problem is that it would still involve making payments to the EU, accepting EU legislation on production/trade/H+S etc. and would probably have some element of freedom of movement as well.

Which were the 3 main things that the "leave" vote was all about. I havent, and wont call anyone racist or bigoted or even stupid, but I realised this about 10 minutes after the referendum had been announced, youre either totally out or youre still in, just under shittier terms. What a fcuk up.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    The real problem is that it would still involve making payments to the EU, accepting EU legislation on production/trade/H+S etc. and would probably have some element of freedom of movement as well.
    Want access to the EFTA/EEA and no free movement of labour - try the the Liechtenstein solution! :-)

http://eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=86122

Rides
    aah... double post....

Rides

Which were the 3 main things that the "leave" vote was all about. I havent, and wont call anyone racist or bigoted or even stupid, but I realised this about 10 minutes after the referendum had been announced, youre either totally out or youre still in, just under shittier terms. What a fcuk up.
    Which sums up the frustration that me and a lot of others suffer...people could just not see the blindingly obvious and got caught up in the leave lies.

Rides

I still think Boris is living in cloud cuckoo land. Suggesting that Britons would still be able to work and reside in EU countries, but EU Citizens would not have the same rights to the UK. It has been said that more has been wiped off the value of the UK Stock Market - where our pensions are invested in than the UK has contributed to the EU in it's entire history as a member.

But we must all get on with it. This time in September we could have Jeremy Hunt as PM, the man generally labelled as the destroyer of the NHS, now with his eyes on bigger stuff to screw up

Rides
    I can forsee a long stand off with Article 50 not being served and EU refusing to negotiate.

Rides
    Wurzel has just lost his no confidence vote, only 40 backed him.

Refusing to resign? Bet he is gone by tomorrow.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Want access to the EFTA/EEA and no free movement of labour - try the the Liechtenstein solution! :-)

http://eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=86122
    Now THAT is interesting, will read properly later. Do you think it could just be that 98% of the European Commission have "investments" in Liechtenstein though?
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    All this "negotiating a good exit deal" bollox demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of the situation. The pre50 negotiations will amount to the Brit negotiators and the German negotiators grabbing each others test tickles and saying "now, we're not going to hurt one another are we ?" and we'll put farage in his box and the Germans will gag the Dutch pm and 50 will be issued and they'll start working out how to untangle the mess.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Oh, and nobody is going to agree for us to have a deal like any other "on the cusp" country either.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success.

Rides
    Now THAT is interesting, will read properly later. Do you think it could just be that 98% of the European Commission have "investments" in Liechtenstein though?
    Would not surprise me in the slightest.. It does seem odd that the mainstream media don't know or aren't talking about it. I'm tempted to tweet it to Andrew Neil or Andrew Marr and see if they pick it up. Edit - have just tweeted them. No idea how to tell if anything happens though....

I have seen articles (non-UK sites) talking about India being keen to do a deal and Oz/NZ as well. It's almost as if they decided on the Brexit all bad (I know there is bad to it) so any potential positives get brushed aside.
    Last edited by jimbo; 29-06-2016 at 08:26.

Rides
    Yes I am going to put that on FB, the Liechtenstein solution is a worth exploring.

Rides
    Membership of tiny states like Liechtenstein are totally irrelevant.

The EU has 596 trade negotiators, the UK has about 20: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36651829

An EU-India trade deal has taken 9 years of work and still not signed. Australia does far more trade with the EU than us, a deal with the EU would be their priority:

http://theconversation.com/post-brex...-with-eu-61676

Might be the new year and post-election before Art 50 is triggered. So many unknowns, no wonder at least a small recession is predicted.

Oops

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by lhassall View Post
    Membership of tiny states like Liechtenstein are totally irrelevant.
    How is it irrelevant? If you agree an EU Law the size of the country does not matter?

Rides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Need to revise this actually as now read The EEA Agreement 14.10.2014

Turns out Single Market including Bank Passporting is controlled by the EEA Agreement, not being a member of the EU or Eurozone... not going to put the whole lot here as there is a lot: but you can read it here
    http://www.efta.int/media/documents/...Aagreement.pdf

So if we sign up to the EEA....

PART I
    OBJECTIVES AND PRINCIPLES
    Article 1

2. In order to attain the objectives set out in paragraph 1, the association shall entail, in accordance with the provisions
    of this Agreement :
    (a) the free movement of goods;
    (b) the free movement of persons;
    (c) the free movement of services;
    (d) the free movement of capital;
    (e) the setting up of a system ensuring that competition is not distorted and that the rules thereon are equally
    respected; as well as
    (f) closer cooperation in other fields, such as research and development, the environment, education and social
    policy.

PART III
    FREE MOVEMENT OF PERSONS

SERVICES AND CAPITAL
    CHAPTER 1
    WORKERS AND SELF-EMPLOYED PERSONS
    Article 28
    1. Freedom of movement for workers shall be secured among EC Member States and EFTA States.
    2. Such freedom of movement shall entail the abolition of any discrimination based on nationality between workers of
    EC Member States and EFTA States as regards employment, remuneration and other conditions of work and
    employment.
    3. It shall entail the right, subject to limitations justified on grounds of public policy, public security or public health:
    (a) to accept offers of employment actually made;
    (b) to move freely within the territory of EC Member States and EFTA States for this purpose;
    (c) to stay in the territory of an EC Member State or an EFTA State for the purpose of employment in
    accordance with the provisions governing the employment of nationals of that State laid down by law,
    regulation or administrative action;
    (d) to remain in the territory of an EC Member State or an EFTA State after having been employed there.
    4. The provisions of this Article shall not apply to employment in the public service.
    5. Annex V contains specific provisions on the free movement of workers.

What is the EEA Not?

The EEA Agreement does not cover the following EU policies:
    Common Agriculture and Fisheries Policies (although the Agreement contains provisions on various aspects of trade in agricultural and fish products);
    Customs Union;
    Common Trade Policy;
    Common Foreign and Security Policy;
    Justice and Home Affairs (even though the EFTA countries are part of the Schengen area); or
    Monetary Union (EMU).

The Lichtenstein agreement is quite an interesting read and is laid out in Annex VIII
    http://www.efta.int/media/documents/...ent/annex8.pdf

Incidentally, Belgium and the Netherlands have a higher population density than we do

Rides
    Now here is what I found interesting:

Quote Originally Posted by Vaduz-Convention-Annex-K-Appendix-II-Social-security
    Persons who have been employed for a period of less than one year within the territory of a
    Member State may, in order to seek a new job, reside there after the end of their employment for
    a reasonable period, which may be up to six months, for the purpose of identifying offers of jobs
    corresponding to their professional qualifications and, if necessary, taking the steps required to
    obtain employment. These persons may also remain after the end of their employment if they
    have sufficient financial means to support themselves and the members of their families without
    having to draw on welfare benefits during their stay, and if they have sickness insurance cover
    for all risks.
    That last section should have been adequate protection for "Health Tourism" which has been criticised in the past.