Page 40 of 70 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: WOT No EU Referendum Thread?

Rides
    The Cambridge analytical engineered the outcome, that's all I have to say about modern day "democracy"

Rides
    Very big news

Boris Johnson's decision to suspend Parliament was unlawful, the Supreme Court has ruled.

Mr Johnson suspended - or prorogued - Parliament for five weeks earlier this month, saying it was to allow a Queen's Speech to outline his new policies.

But the UK's highest court said it was wrong to stop Parliament carrying out its duties.

The court's president, Lady Hale, said: "The effect on the fundamentals of our democracy was extreme."

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Will you, for the fourth time, stop using Remoaner. You cannot be here and cry that you are being abused, and then continue to abuse. There is no need.
    I have not cried at all, was merely highlighting how racist and sexist you lefties are, how can a black man be offended by being called gammon ? .

Your erm...friend Ash has called me fat and Leona many times doesn't bother me because I'm not a snowflake

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    A deal is better than no deal.
    Remain is better than a deal.

Ultimately it's down to Parliament what happens.
    No, With the latest ruling from the supreme court it is now down to rich people.

The court has now set a precedent, whenever a rich person doesn't like what the government is doing they will take them to court, so it would appear our nation is now being run by unelected elite rich people and the judiciary, this is the end of democracy as we know it.

Rides
    So you dont find the fact Prorogue is normally a week and Boris did it for 5 weeks not a bit 'odd'

You dont want Politicians to debate and get the best possible deal for the UK and its people?

We will just go for the Do or Die attitude and see what happens?

Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonatLarge View Post
    No, With the latest ruling from the supreme court it is now down to rich people.

The court has now set a precedent, whenever a rich person doesn't like what the government is doing they will take them to court, so it would appear our nation is now being run by unelected elite rich people and the judiciary, this is the end of democracy as we know it.
    What absolute twoddle.

Our legal system has just gone AGAINST a self serving rich person. It literally the exact opposite of what you've just declared. Those judges are appointed by the Queen at the recommendation of the Prime Minister, who receives his recommendation from selection committees, which are made of MP's who are elected.

Every time something actually democratic happens you cry that democracy is over.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    So you dont find the fact Prorogue is normally a week and Boris did it for 5 weeks not a bit 'odd'

You dont want Politicians to debate and get the best possible deal for the UK and its people?

We will just go for the Do or Die attitude and see what happens?

Yes I agree it is odd, but the courts should not get involved in politics, Boris offered a general election twice, which would of determined the democratic will of the people, as you know it has been rejected.

The trouble is regarding the EU, parliament doesn't reflect society, we have a remain parliament which is why the referendum was offered in the first place.

I like the vast majority of people would like a deal but they have had three and a half years to sort a deal out and have just ****ed about, so they will not achieve anything in the weeks to come prorougue or no.

In my opinion all the current parliament wants to do is stop brexit and thus thwart the will of the people.

The only democratic way to resolve this in my opinion is a general election.

Rides
    Almost every single vote in Parliament has been nigh on 50/50 split. The Brexit vote by the general population was almost a 50/50 split.

How on earth can you sit there and say we have a 'remain' Parliament and that it doesn't reflect society?

And my god man, 'will of the people' How many times have we been over this?

The country is populated with 77 million people.

Only 45 million of them are eligible to vote.

Only 33 million of that 45 million them voted. 12 or so million did not vote.

52% of those 33 million voted leave.

23% of the population.

So start saying 'the will of 23% of the people'.

Then the case for referendum 2 is that because it's taken so long, potentially hundreds of thousands of those people have died and thus have no more stake in the decision, or have come of age and are now able to have a say when they couldn't before.

Rides

Amusingly John Major was one of the driving forces behind the legal challenge.

When he was PM he also Prorogued Parliament to get himself out of a sticky situation.

Rides
    Must resist - (don't engage with people who get their views from the tabloids)
    Last edited by sx rider; 24-09-2019 at 13:04.

Rides
    I dont see why leavers dont want a 2nd referendum?

Its an ideal opportunity to really stick to the snowflake remainers by chanting 2-0, 2-0 at them

Or is it you know you got lucky the first time...............
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Almost every single vote in Parliament has been nigh on 50/50 split. The Brexit vote by the general population was almost a 50/50 split.

How on earth can you sit there and say we have a 'remain' Parliament and that it doesn't reflect society?

And my god man, 'will of the people' How many times have we been over this?

The country is populated with 77 million people.

Only 45 million of them are eligible to vote.

Only 33 million of that 45 million them voted. 12 or so million did not vote.

52% of those 33 million voted leave.

23% of the population.

So start saying 'the will of 23% of the people'.

Then the case for referendum 2 is that because it's taken so long, potentially hundreds of thousands of those people have died and thus have no more stake in the decision, or have come of age and are now able to have a say when they couldn't before.

So you claim we have a parliament that reflects the will of the people?

The same parliament that has rejected a general election twice.

Using your logic, we now have a parliament that reflects the will of the people that is also scared of the will of the people.

in my opinion the case for the second referendum is non-existent as we haven't enacted the first result yet, with that said you shouldn't be so sure on the future, I know a few remain voters who would now vote leave because they are disgusted that the first vote hasn't been enacted and how badly we have been treated by the E.U.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider View Post
    Must resist - (don't engage with people who get their views from the tabloids)
    You don't seem to " engage " much at all on this subject.

How comes you have two used tampons as an avatar mate ?

Rides
    So you claim we have a parliament that reflects the will of the people?

The same parliament that has rejected a general election twice.

Using your logic, we now have a parliament that reflects the will of the people that is also scared of the will of the people.

in my opinion the case for the second referendum is non-existent as we haven't enacted the first result yet, with that said you shouldn't be so sure on the future, I know a few remain voters who would now vote leave because they are disgusted that the first vote hasn't been enacted and how badly we have been treated by the E.U.
    At this point, I know you're not being serious anymore and you're here to troll. There are no polls as best I know showing the public have an appetite for a GE. Until such a point, you can't even infer that's correct. On top of that, 'will of the people' again.

And there's nothing about the process that requires one referendum can be acted out before another, like I have already pointed out with voter deaths and ageing into eligibilty. That you also keep ignoring.

Rides
    At this point, I know you're not being serious anymore and you're here to troll. There are no polls as best I know showing the public have an appetite for a GE. Until such a point, you can't even infer that's correct. On top of that, 'will of the people' again.

And there's nothing about the process that requires one referendum can be acted out before another, like I have already pointed out with voter deaths and ageing into eligibilty. That you also keep ignoring.

No, you are missing the point entirely.

If parliament decides to call a general election, after the election they count up the votes and the winning party forms a government, the will of the people is then enacted.

As I have said many times before the current parliament has rejected the governments request for a general election twice, they are scared of the will of the people.
    Last edited by LeonatLarge; 24-09-2019 at 14:42.

Rides
    I think they've refused the request because Corbyn wants to gloat while Boris is forced to ask for an extension to Brexit.
    I'm not sure there's much care for the will of the people or the good of the country.

Labour want to be scared of an election though, right old mess at the moment, they're really out of touch.

Rides
    Problem with cancelling A50 is that we are just kicking the can down the street.
    Clearly a lot of folk in this country have some beef with Europe and i bet a reasonable portion of those who voted remain also have some issue with the way things were going in that regard.
    Not doing anything now will just give us another 20 or 30 years of the same issues we have just had years of, there will still be eurosceptic MPs in the house throwing spanners into everything and the public will still be unhappy in various ways.

Something needs done now.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    I think they've refused the request because Corbyn wants to gloat while Boris is forced to ask for an extension to Brexit.
    I'm not sure there's much care for the will of the people or the good of the country.

Labour want to be scared of an election though, right old mess at the moment, they're really out of touch.

Agreed, that and the fact parliament will try and push the general election to as close to midwinter as possible to stop the old people voting.

Rides
    Parliament has not refused a general election because it is scared. Labour have refused it because they know they cannot win at the moment and if they lose, they hand Boris the keys to almost free reign. Because the country is split exactly like this thread. Sense. And die hard Brexiteers. It could be easily argued that by not giving Boris the election (that he insisted he didn’t want) they are actually being a more effective opposition.

Rides
    Parliament has not refused a general election because it is scared. Labour have refused it because they know they cannot win at the moment and if they lose, they hand Boris the keys to almost free reign. Because the country is split exactly like this thread. Sense. And die hard Brexiteers. It could be easily argued that by not giving Boris the election (that he insisted he didn’t want) they are actually being a more effective opposition.

I disagree, in my opinion by not giving the nation a general election, at a time when parliament is grid locked, and has not been able to agree on a deal for the past three years, they are being undemocratic.