Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear brake upgrade to suit R33 brembo's

Rides

Unhappy Rear brake upgrade to suit R33 brembo's

Hi,

I need some help with a brake upgrade for my s14a.
    I currently have standard brakes all round with endless pads and upgraded rotors.

I have a set of R33 GT-R front Brembo brakes, which from what I've read so far are pretty much a bolt on affair.

From what I've read on here, installing only the fronts and leaving the stock BMC will lead to uneven brake distribution with ABS kicking in too early and no significant braking performance gains.

I would like to get away with not changing the BMC or ditching the ABS, what rear brake options do i have that will be as hassle free as possible?

Thanks!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Z32/r33 rear set up. It more or less bolts straight on although you do have to remove the hubs to do it.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    i recently did 350z brembos on the front, its essentially the same caliper as r33. i didnt do the rear bled them up and they were fine in terms of balance/distribution. however for the full package, making the most of it i have now done r34 rear brembo calipers on r32 rear handbrake mech, again essentially the same as r33 rear setup easy to install and will match the front calipers perfectly, also due to the extra pistons and needing to move more fluid under braking i also decided to install the 300zx brake master cylinder, again easy enough to do. if you dont do the mast cylinder you should be ok but you will lose a little bit of pedal feel i belive

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Z32/r33 rear set up. It more or less bolts straight on although you do have to remove the hubs to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyrs View Post
    i recently did 350z brembos on the front, its essentially the same caliper as r33. i didnt do the rear bled them up and they were fine in terms of balance/distribution. however for the full package, making the most of it i have now done r34 rear brembo calipers on r32 rear handbrake mech, again essentially the same as r33 rear setup easy to install and will match the front calipers perfectly, also due to the extra pistons and needing to move more fluid under braking i also decided to install the 300zx brake master cylinder, again easy enough to do. if you dont do the mast cylinder you should be ok but you will lose a little bit of pedal feel i belive
    Aside from the rear calipers, i understand there are loads of other parts needed such as brake lines, e-brake assembly and more - which is exactly what i'm trying to avoid

What Z32 BMC would you recommend for an automatic car with ABS?

Thanks again for the help!

Rides
    the whole rear set up off a 300zx r32 r33 are pretty much the same, bar the calipers. problem is the s14 caliper has a handbrake mech built in and the better twin pot rear calipers dont thats why you need to swap over. i went with the bm57 as most people do

Rides
    I ran k sport fronts with standard rears for ages, no worries with abs etc. Last summer i fitted z32 rears and now the abs is super keen and I also i have massive pedal travel, hoping a bm57 i have bought but yet to fit will sort it out.

Rides
    Unfortunately the skyline rear brake setup is the easiest most cost affective way, if you want a hassle free setup you must go for a complete setup from a skyline ( calipers, handbrake mech, backing plates, cables ect ) if you can help it don't get a setup from a Z32/300zx as they are pretty much the same but they are different and will cause headaches because anchor bolts and handbrake cables won't work on a s14

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    You can go for a twin caliper set up but it seems a lot more involved from what I've seen.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mclean View Post
    Unfortunately the skyline rear brake setup is the easiest most cost affective way, if you want a hassle free setup you must go for a complete setup from a skyline ( calipers, handbrake mech, backing plates, cables ect ) if you can help it don't get a setup from a Z32/300zx as they are pretty much the same but they are different and will cause headaches because anchor bolts and handbrake cables won't work on a s14
    I've got a z32 rear setup on my s14 and the handbrake cables work fine? They're same length etc as r33 aren't they?

Rides
    Where the cables bolt to the body they are miles off and I'm sure they might be shorter, I had both skyline cables and z32 cables side by side

Rides
    I just drilled a couple of holes in the subframe and fixed that way. If skyline are longer then I wouldn't of thought they'd work? Too much slack on the cable to pull it tight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mclean View Post
    Where the cables bolt to the body they are miles off and I'm sure they might be shorter, I had both skyline cables and z32 cables side by side
    You want R33 cables, they're pretty much a perfect fit

Rides
    It is very simple to change the master cylinder to a z32 one, i'd highly recommend it. I have front and rear R33 Brembo's and suffered from a poor pedal and not much confidence before i changed the master cylinder, when i fitted the z32 one it transformed the brakes and they are absolutely awesome now.

Rides
    Thanks for all the useful inputs,
    Another quick question, are all R32, R33 (excluding GT-R) and Z32 rear calipers the same?
    Assuming your'e using their matching backplates, their shouldn't be any issues using either of the above?
    Thanks again!

Rides
    When i did it i was able to pick up a set of r33 gtr rear hubs along with the whole rear brake assembly. It made the change over a very simple job.

Also fitted r33gtr fronts along with BMC and servo. Can't say if the BMC and servo were actually necessary as i did them all at the same time.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by hybrids14a View Post
    Thanks for all the useful inputs,
    Another quick question, are all R32, R33 (excluding GT-R) and Z32 rear calipers the same?
    Assuming your'e using their matching backplates, their shouldn't be any issues using either of the above?
    Thanks again!
    I think the only differences is thickness? Pretty sure r32 has a thinner disk than the others

Rides
    r32 gtst + r33 gtst + z32 use the same disc i believe. easiest way is to get the whole set up from one car then you know it all fits together, then r33 handbrake cables.

Rides
    So I've finally managed to gather up all the necessary bits:
    -R33 GT-R fronts,
    -R33 GT-S rears,
    -Z32 master cylinder (BM57)
    Do you recon my setup will be well balanced and offer a good pedal feel on an ABS Auto s14a?
    Thanks again for all the great inputs!

Rides
    That should be a well balanced set up with a good pedal feel

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by hybrids14a View Post
    So I've finally managed to gather up all the necessary bits:
    -R33 GT-R fronts,
    -R33 GT-S rears,
    -Z32 master cylinder (BM57)
    Do you recon my setup will be well balanced and offer a good pedal feel on an ABS Auto s14a?
    Thanks again for all the great inputs!
    That's the same setup I have (apart from I don't have abs and mine's manual) and I love it. I much prefer this setup to the standard one.