Thread: S14a or S15 Spec R

Rides

S14a or S15 Spec R

I'm looking at buying one of the above S bodies in a few years time. I'm hoping to keep the car for a very long time, so I do want to bear in mind the possible future values of these cars. From what I've seen a good, standard S14a is around £5000 and the same condition Spec R is around £8000. Do you think it's worth saving for a little longer to get an S15 or not? I love the way they both look and can't decide which would be the better option. I'm in no rush to get one so I don't mind waiting to get the best car I can. Any input on this would be very much appreciated!

Rides
    i think you have to work out what you want the car for, if its for the experience of an S body yeah either are good, the S15 is a nice car although personally i think the 14a is a nicer looking car, however if you are purely looking for it as an investment i think you'll be sorely disappointed on that basis look at buying a Ford.

Rides
    Neither are ever going to be worth massive values so like hugh said

The only plus point that all S15's are imports, so one imported recently will be a lot better condition underneath than an UK S14a will be. (You can also import a JDM S14A if you want, but be prepared to pay £6/7k~ + for a good one once it's been shipped over here)

Rides
    you would think that but ive seen my fair share of rotten imports.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Janus View Post
    i think you have to work out what you want the car for, if its for the experience of an S body yeah either are good, the S15 is a nice car although personally i think the 14a is a nicer looking car, however if you are purely looking for it as an investment i think you'll be sorely disappointed on that basis look at buying a Ford.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMR View Post
    Neither are ever going to be worth massive values so like hugh said

The only plus point that all S15's are imports, so one imported recently will be a lot better condition underneath than an UK S14a will be. (You can also import a JDM S14A if you want, but be prepared to pay £6/7k~ + for a good one once it's been shipped over here)
    I'm definitely not looking at these purely as an investment, but I want something that's going to be reliable day to day but also fun when I want it. I also think the 14a looks better too. I'm not really sure if the extra body strengthening and higher power of the s15 is really worth the extra cost, that's my main dilemma. If anyone's driven both, how noticeable is the difference between the two?

Rides
    The Spec R is meant to feel a lot stiffer (some have said more like a caged 14) it comes with more power than a standard 14 too (250bhp Vs 197) although thats very easily remedied.

Ive recently bought an S15 although only a lowly Spec S, it feels more modern inside but I've only driven it for about 10 minutes at most, it didn't feel any more stiff of course it wouldn't do because it doesn't have the additional braces.

the dash feels really low when sat in the car so it kinda feels more open...I'm not sure that even makes sense.

I've thought about it recently and part of me wishes that i'd bought another 14a to be honest there isn't enough different about the S15 over the 14a but I'm stuck with it now, only saving grace is the S15 I've got has been completely undersealed and dry stored but even still its not immaculate.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    you would think that but ive seen my fair share of rotten imports.
    Yeah I have too, generally speaking though.

Rides
    That's very helpful thank you everyone, plan at the moment is to go with a 14a.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by burntbiscuit376 View Post
    I'm definitely not looking at these purely as an investment, but I want something that's going to be reliable day to day but also fun when I want it. I also think the 14a looks better too. I'm not really sure if the extra body strengthening and higher power of the s15 is really worth the extra cost, that's my main dilemma. If anyone's driven both, how noticeable is the difference between the two?
    Good luck with that...

In a couple of years time even the newest S14A is going to be 20 years old (Nissan stopped production in 1998). Buy one as a second car for a restoration project.

Rides
    I'm coming from a classic Mini so my expectations of reliability aren't exactly high! I expect the odd issue on a car of this age but from what I've gleaned so far standard or mildly modified ones aren't too unreliable? I'm not going to be going after really high power, 280 or so would be plenty for what I'd want.

Rides
    I'm coming from a classic Mini so my expectations of reliability aren't exactly high! I expect the odd issue on a car of this age but from what I've gleaned so far standard or mildly modified ones aren't too unreliable? I'm not going to be going after really high power, 280 or so would be plenty for what I'd want.
    About the reliability, I have had my UK S14A from near on standard for just over 3 years now and in my experience mine has been very reliable, the only niggly issue's I have had is complications or little things from things I have actually done or changed, psych lol, but the car itself for me has been pretty good and got me where I need to go. You mentioned the 280bhp is also what you would like, that will be safe on standard engine with all the usual supporting mods etc, details of all that can all be found on here!

I think as long you maintain it properly and regularly service it, it should hold up well. But many factors can come into it here which maybe different e.g. previous owner etc and how it's been driven and how it's been maintained, but I think that comes with most other older cars, not just old Nissan's.

But I think you get the idea, best of luck with your search and s14a or s15 either way you shouldn't be dissapointed
    Last edited by mike_je94; 29-04-2016 at 19:01.

Rides
    I've had my S14A for over 15 years, they're very reliable mechanically, just prone to rust and some parts are getting hard to find.
    Last edited by Actual_Ben_Taylor; 29-04-2016 at 20:26.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    As standard these are reliable cars, only us idiots who modify them make them unreliable

If you're in no rush to buy I'd shop around and find one with minimal rust which will likely be an import. Some are rusty but if you go through a good importer they'll view it all first and send pictures etc.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Yeah the first thing I do will definitely be to get it undersealed I think. All that info has been very helpful though, thank you everyone. Pretty much confirms what I thought based on my research. Final thing for now: does anyone drive theirs in the winter? I was thinking of keeping the standard wheels and putting some winter tyres on them for the winter which should make a big difference, but are they manageable in the snow with winters on?

Rides
    I drove mine back from Norwich to Oxford in the snow on track tyres after just having it mapped to 527bhp and didn't die
    Last edited by Actual_Ben_Taylor; 29-04-2016 at 20:52.

Rides
    In that case I think I should be fine with half that on winters!

Rides
    Easily. They aren't scary to drive waiting to step out and kill you. If you're an idiot it will bite but if you drive it you know... normally then they are fine. I've had 3 S13s now and not one of them has randomly stepped out on me in any weather when driven sensibly.