Thread: Overheating through water lose.

Rides

Overheating through water lose.

My T28 water pipe bango is leaking :/
    I'd love some links/recommendations for a replacement please, thank you
    Had to pullover when water needle was off the scale and had a horrid smell in cabin, begged a random for a pint of water lol
    It's a warm day so guess it's leaking twice as fast.

Rides
    So what's actually leaking - the banjo joint where it attaches to the engine or the pipe?
    If it's just the joint you replace the copper washers if it's the pipe go to apex and get some braided hoses - http://www.apexperformance.co.uk/cat...eb7aa77a29ac4b - or get some made up from Pirtek or Pearsons Hydraulics.

Either way, you shouldn't be driving around with the temp in the red

Rides
    Hey Mantachris, I did not drive it until the temps dropped back down, Its the washer I need pal.
    Its a double kind of washer and the only one I could find was from frsport US.
    http://www.frsport.com/Nissan-15189-...T_p_60148.html
    I guess I could buy a new braided one but I'd rather just swap out a £2 washer and save £58
    Does it need to be the joined type or can I just buy 2 single copper washers would you know?
    Thanks.

Rides
    Is it the one on the turbo or the one going to the block as if it's the turbo I wouldn't fancy changing the one on the turbo while it's on the car

Rides
    Hey autorsri, it's the one going to the block, I can just see it from above.

Rides
    I think the banjo bolt is just m14 but double check then go get a couple of packs of assorted copper washers

Rides
    Im really surprised that more then once this week i have read that people have filled up/replaced with "cold" water, coolent that has just over heated.

Rides
    I hear what your saying auz200sx but I will be replacing all my antifreeze fully once the washers have been replaced and the leak has stopped!
    At £20 for 5 litre I cant be filling it up constantly with the Oat Anti freeze and coolant mix every day as it would cost me a fortune
    Its not being driven for long or hard and I am watching temps and levels like a hawk now.

Rides
    A plain flat copper washer should do the job in theory.
    The Nissan part is two copper washer linked together to form both sides of the joint, and these require one less limb to install. Three instead of four.
    In previous threads, others have described washers which include a rubber ring within them. I forget the name for those, but as it's only sealing 1bar of water, it doesn't need to be too posh.

If your coolant is leaking close to the radiator top hose, then it should be relatively easy to fit new washers. If the leak is at the turbo end, it may require turbo removal to get proper access to fix it
    A crushed/mishapen banjo fitting on the hose could be a culprit if something has been overtightened in the past.

Rides
    I would recommend swapping out the old lines to braided lines at the same time, these allow extra flex and way less likely to need to replace the washer again! Oh and i just use cheap washers from halfords and not had a problem on any of my cars

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    A plain flat copper washer should do the job in theory.
    The Nissan part is two copper washer linked together to form both sides of the joint, and these require one less limb to install. Three instead of four.
    In previous threads, others have described washers which include a rubber ring within them. I forget the name for those, but as it's only sealing 1bar of water, it doesn't need to be too posh.

If your coolant is leaking close to the radiator top hose, then it should be relatively easy to fit new washers. If the leak is at the turbo end, it may require turbo removal to get proper access to fix it
    A crushed/mishapen banjo fitting on the hose could be a culprit if something has been overtightened in the past.
    Dowty seal lol for future reference

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by adamrps13 View Post
    I would recommend swapping out the old lines to braided lines at the same time, these allow extra flex and way less likely to need to replace the washer again! Oh and i just use cheap washers from halfords and not had a problem on any of my cars
    If the car still has rigid metal pipes feeding coolant or oil to the turbo , get rid of them and fit flexible pipes. Various sources from traders.
    I'd forgotten that Nissan rigid pipes still existed They must have all cracked by now, surely.

Rides
    My new toy hehe http://www.sgs-engineering.com/tj3lp...2C3xoCR4vw_wcB

Thanks for the info and advice peeps, bought a new jack some more coolant and a sh#t load of copper washers so hope to have it sorted before Japfest