Thread: dash cameras

Rides

dash cameras

does anyone on here have any experience of these?

i was actually thiking of buying one to fix to the roll cage of my s13 for when im out on track instead of buying a go pro.

a lot of tracks these days dont allow suction mounts so was going to use thick cable ties or jubilee clips. they are that cheap i can just leave it in the car all the time.

Rides
    I use a Mobius, it's a great little product which is actually very popular, seems to have ongoing development and after market support with decent quality accessories.
    The hardware and firmware seem to work really well, PC software to set the camera up seems to be privately developed but does work well. Android software is also privately developed but was a nightmare to get working, works properly now but is very Android device dependant.
    I'l be buying another for the drift car soon.

For a road car I like the compact size as it's fairly inconspicuous, hopefully prevent a crack head robbing it for a hit.

In short it can be a pain in the ass to learn how to use and set up but once done it's great. As odd as it may sound taking about a China product, be careful not to buy a fake/copy.

Last edited by immy21; 30-03-2016 at 18:34.

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    Subscribed to this opcorn:

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Rides
    i bought one after an accident in the 200 left me with a 50/50 claim but was very definitely her fault.

first one i bought was ok, a little low quality though, so i bought another

the one i ended up with was:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HD1080P-Nova...ilpage_o00_s00

quality seems ok, battery life one both the units appears to be an issue though and with a permanent live both turn off immediately however with the G sensor in the latest one, its supposed to wake it up i assume it has a reserve battery (not tested btw)

Rides
    cheers for the examples, I will have a look at em later when im on works time!!.

I was actually thinking about getting one for each of my cars as I did have someone in a range rover swerve from the outside lane to the inside land and brake check me when I was in my truck a couple weeks ago.

as you pointed out I don't want some really obvious thing hanging off the screen as I leave my car up the street at night and in a crack pot car park when at work.

Rides
    As of yet i dont have one but a while back there was a thread on here about action cams, could easily be used as a permanent dash cam i guess to.

lots of people were pleased with these -

http://www.sjcam.com/en/

i will be getting one when i can as they look great and the price is good!

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mathew8717 View Post
    As of yet i dont have one but a while back there was a thread on here about action cams, could easily be used as a permanent dash cam i guess to.

lots of people were pleased with these -

http://www.sjcam.com/en/

i will be getting one when i can as they look great and the price is good!
    Problem with that is some eejit might pop your window for nabbing what they think is a GoPro

Rides
    by the looks of it you can get ones that clip over your rear view mirror. I don't want some massive flashy looking thing that will get robbed.

I will look again later as I had to do actual work yesterday.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant teSte View Post
    Problem with that is some eejit might pop your window for nabbing what they think is a GoPro

this is true, but its not going to be that hard to take in and out, im thinking of it just for long drives or convoys! and i have just brought one

Rides
    Search on YouTube for 'techmoan' for some excellent reviews of dashcams + FAQ's.

I'm thinking of one but haven't fully decided yet. However I did buy one as an Xmas gift for a family member.
    Its was one of these;https://youtu.be/R3eDXKLNLys

Rides
    I use a Lukas 7950 duo dash cam.

I had a smart witness for many years after being a road rage attack victim, it covered my ass many a time (including once being pulled over by two police officers who were going to take me to court for dangerous driving , until they turned to the back of their car to give me my "ticket" and saw I had a dash cam, then they said "well its up to our discretion, perhaps just view your footage and learn from your mistakes" - the "up to 9 points and £1000 fine" they threatened me with never came to fruition! No doubt because they knew my footage would prove I was driving perfectly within the law and the same as every other bugger on the motorway that day!!)

Anyhoo, after my last accident (someone drive into me and drove off - i got their details tho knob heads!) it was clear that an upgrade was needed as I couldnt read the reg as clearly, so I looked around for HD ones, the one I have now is a duo system so one front facing and one rear facing, 1080p fully (not 720 with added pixels!) It is also wifi enabled, which was a biggy for me, I have a 180 mile a day commute so I wanted to know I could pull off footage if required without it being overwritten before I could get the footage off using my computer at home. Its mac and pc friendly, ive used it in both! It records sound too which my previous one didnt.
    From the UK distributers its over £300, if you buy from the supplier in Korea like I did its £170, its pricey but seriously when you consider it got me out of the police incident and covered my ass in a crash its worth its weight in gold! I will be getting one for my S15 in the next couple of months too.
    Its probably overkill if you just want to use it for track days but I thought I would share my info with you If you dont need to worry about reading registration marks then there are so many sub £100 options out there, Halfords NextBase (sp?) ones are meant to be pretty good, they have Which support anyway and aren't suction ones either

Rides
    I have a $13 HD dash cam from China and had it about 4 years now no problem with them and quality is pretty good even at night. Bought it because of how many twats that can't actually drive here.