Thread: Another new car thread (needs to be diesel...not a 330d)

Rides

Another new car thread (needs to be diesel...not a 330d)

Hi guys and girls,

There is a possibility that I will have a new job from next week which will mean 80miles or so a day plus General social travelling as opposed to 20 at the moment.

So if all is well I am looking at getting rid of the trusty 12 year old focus and going for a small diesel, however I will also be on a budget as the new job involves a pay cut in the short term.

So I am looking at a brand new 208 1.6hdi gt line with a couple of extras on PCP. Cheap insurance, tax etc.
    Ideally looking to go new around that sort of money 16k-ish. Running one through carwow, can get the pcp price of the car to 14500 down from 18200ish. So some serious savings can be made.

Any other ideas? Suggestions etc.

If I keep to this price level the s14 can stay

Thanks all

Matt

Rides
    If you're going PCP presumably your mileage isn't that high? I ask because you'd be surprised how many miles you have to do these days to make diesel work over petrol

Rides
    Good question. I have ran through the figures at a local dealer @ 18k a year. Which I know isn't lots but the discounts that can be had on the diesels along with the mpg I THINK makes sense?

Bare in mind I haven't driven any newer petrols except a 1.2 Clio Which was horrendous

Also it needs to be a 4 door to make live easier getting life one in the back
    Last edited by m44t-xx; 26-03-2016 at 13:38.

Rides
    I drive all the new Peugeots and Fords with work. The new 3 cylinder petrol turbos are pretty good and quicker than the diesels, and pretty economical too at about 45mpg average. But the new diesels are phenomenal. 60-70mpg or more if you're careful.
    Be careful with a PCP if you're doing a lot of miles since most limit your annual mileage, but I presume you've looked into that already.

Rides
    Thanks for that. Yes if I go through with the pcp I would be increasing the mileage limit beforehand so I do t get bitten on the other side

Rides
    Ah, at that sort of mileage yes I'd go diesel too

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Ah, at that sort of mileage yes I'd go diesel too
    Ahhh cheers for that. I was then going to sit and work out the differences but you've cleared it up cheers mate.

Just a case of is the 208 the right car. Once I know if the move Is happening I will go and test drive one

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by m44t-xx View Post
    Ahhh cheers for that. I was then going to sit and work out the differences but you've cleared it up cheers mate.

Just a case of is the 208 the right car. Once I know if the move Is happening I will go and test drive one
    We've got a few 208s on our fleet and my main grumbles are the steering wheel being ridiculously small and the radio/heater controls are all touch-screen which I just couldn't live with. Pretty good to drive though in a "it's brand new and slow but handles well and is comfy and quiet" kind of way. I'm sure on a diesel one you could fit a tuning box for extra oomph.

Rides
    Yea absolutely it's just an A to B car nothing more Than that really. Sounds like my barking up the right tree atleast then

Rides
    ~20k/year is a lot of depreciation to be putting on a car on PCP. You're going to pay through the nose for that.
    I'm not averse to to PCP at all (we've got a car on it!) but I'd look and see if it's feasible to buy something older to run to the ground. If it's 80 miles/day I'd be tempted to look for something larger and that rides better than a smallish hatch as well.
    I'd say you're wise to avoid the smaller FI'd petrols. Out Fiesta Ecoboost is OK on fuel (although not as good as everyone has you believe) and great below 60ish, but above that it's hard work. My commute only included about or 7 miles of NSL/dual carriageway, and it's a bit crap on that.

An older, larger diesel saloon would be my choice. ~60k on a 3 year PCP is going to lose you a heap of cash.
    Last edited by Si; 27-03-2016 at 11:17.

Rides
    LPG the focus?

Rides
    Rather than PCP (I always thought PCP was to do with drugs ) how about going down the finance route for a slightly older car such as a mk vi Golf bluemotion, I don't personally find Golf's particularly inspiring but a friend at work has one and the MPG (as long as its not a naughty VW fiddle) seems pretty impressive and it's a nice place to be inside

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by m44t-xx View Post
    So I am looking at a brand new 208 1.6hdi gt line with a couple of extras on PCP. Cheap insurance, tax etc.
    Ideally looking to go new around that sort of money 16k-ish. Running one through carwow, can get the pcp price of the car to 14500 down from 18200ish. So some serious savings can be made.
    I'm also pro-PCP, but if you're looking at the £15-16K range, I'd be tempted to get a 60 month loan and have the asset at the end of it. You'll be at break even point halfway through, so could sell up for something else if you get bored of it 2 or 3 years in.

What are the deposit and monthies looking like for the 14500 car?

Rides
    sorry i completely forgot about this thread due to the lack of notifications.

The focus isnt worth spending the money on, its probably worth £800, and it isnt without its faults.

Yea this is another option of go for something older (3 or so years) and finance it, however the main reason to look at new cars was the lack of MOT etc, if it breaks its not my car to worry about fixing if that makes sense.

Finall, i had never really thought of it like that. On a pug 208 1.6HDI I was looking around a 1500 deposit and 230 a month. With the intention of having it for 3 years then if its ok get another new one or failing that completely walk away.

Im not 100% sure the pros/cons of finance vs PCP.

East Anglia Area Rep Slip_n_slide's Avatar
    Rides
    I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but have you considered a Kia if you want PCP? 7 year warranty so if it goes wrong you won't need to worry about too much additional expenditure. Diesel engines, and they're looking a lot better style wise these days.

I looked at a Sportage the other day and if you can put down a 4k deposit then you can get it for just £125 (iirc) per month.

I think the Pro-Cee'd looks pretty cool actually.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but have you considered a Kia if you want PCP? 7 year warranty so if it goes wrong you won't need to worry about too much additional expenditure. Diesel engines, and they're looking a lot better style wise these days.

I looked at a Sportage the other day and if you can put down a 4k deposit then you can get it for just £125 (iirc) per month.

I think the Pro-Cee'd looks pretty cool actually.
    I'd definitely be considering KIAs if I wanted a low-stress runabout with low monthlies.

£230pm is a fairly decent budget for PCP/leasing - you'll find lots around at that pricepoint. That's a big deposit too.

If you're happy to lease and keep your ear to the ground, you can find some incredible special offers, like this one that hit my inbox 9 days ago.

Last edited by Quail; 15-04-2016 at 15:16.

Rides
    Another vote here for Kia. They're really good cars. I've driven the Sportage, Soul, Picanto and loads of Sedonas at work both new and 3/5 years old and they're great.

Rides
    Thanks guys,

Well, I had looked at a pro-ceed gt (obviously I couldn't have a gt though) and thought they looked good. However I was a little convinced it must be my mind playing tricks, but you have all made some good points for the Kia,so I MAY consider one. I will sit down do some numbers etc and go from there.

This will only be happening if I get the job, failing that I will stick to the old crusty focus (that got mildly rear ended yesterday)