Thread: Track wheels..17's or 18's?

Rides

Track wheels..17's or 18's?

Hi guys,

What are your thoughts on this..

I'm going on the sxoc track day soon, and I'm just about to get a fresh set of tires, now my dilemma is. I have a set of ropey looking 17inch alloys on the car , do I keep these on the car and get 17inch track day tires, or do I treat myself to a set of 18inch of rota's and get the track tires for them?

Bearing in mind the car isn't a daily driver it's my toy, but I do drive it to and from the track.

Rides
    Check out willtheyfit.com. it tells you everything on speed.

Rides
    Thanks will do. Was worried if going bigger would effect the handling..

Rides
    Not a straight answer to this really depends on loads of things, tyre size you want, offset of the wheels, ride height will probably change slightly, the power your running makes a difference etc... If your going to buy new wheels in the near future then probably a bit pointless buying new tyres for your old rims.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Most will say that 17's handle better
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Pro's and Cons to them all.

18" will allow you to run larger front brakes.

17" will generally give you better handling.

Some good, lightweight forged 18" alloys may be night and day better than some "ropey looking 17" alloys"... What are your current alloys? If you aren't sure, post up a photo and someone will be able to tell you

The next pointer is what you like the look of. There's no point in putting some awesome track day wheels on if you don't like them. Style is as much a necessity as function when it comes to wheels.

Personally, I ran 17x8/9 Works CR Kai on my track day car, which offered me the perfect balance of style, weight, strength and size.

Rides
    17's , less unsprung weight , so better handling , braking , acceleration , bhp, torque and mpg .

345mm or even 356 mm brakes which is ample can fit .

Despite the tyre math going 18" rises the chassis height thus center of gravity because the tyre profile is more than anticipated as manufacturers like to build in some comfort.

Less profile height on a 18" gives a less progressive feel when braking traction so more snappy oversteer .

Rides
    These are some pics from when I first got the car, the wheels are purple!

Rides
    I have done loads for the handling to the car, it handles like a go kart now! Coilovers, strut brace, upgraded Arb's , poly bush most of the car, under body braces. The steering is very sharp. I think it's more the colour of the wheels I don't like, maybe I'll get them resprayed..

Rides
    If you're happy with how the car currently handles then stick with the 17's.

Rides
    The trouble with 18's is that they tend to rub or get very close to everything. When your throwing it round a track they will be even closer or rub even harder and wear through something or shred the tyre on the arch if the car is quite low or has softer suspension. I have 17" track day tyres. 1 the tyres are cheaper and 2 more clearance for evertyhing

FS: HKS SSQV recirc inserts, S14 eccentric rear arm lockout washer kits

Rides
    So basically keep the wheels I have now or get some wider 17' wheels, I have 245-40-17 on the rear at the mo, im just worried that with the new engine and bigger turbo the power will be too much for the little wheels.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jon200 View Post
    The trouble with 18's is that they tend to rub or get very close to everything. When your throwing it round a track they will be even closer or rub even harder and wear through something or shred the tyre on the arch if the car is quite low or has softer suspension. I have 17" track day tyres. 1 the tyres are cheaper and 2 more clearance for evertyhing

I like your rear spats, which ones are they?

Rides
    They are just copies of zenki ones. I don't have that car anymore though. I ran a 255 rear with an r888 and disnt have too much trouble with rear grip at 340hp.

Rides
    Ok cool, that settles it, I'll stick with my 17's for now. Checking out those rear spats tho!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline boy View Post
    . Checking out those rear spats tho!
    I have a set for sale, PM me if interested.