Thread: Insurance Info

Rides

Insurance Info

Hey All,

A lady crashed into my car the other day whilst it was parked up, a person across the road let me know and has also given me a copy from his cctv, which shows her hit the car and then just walk off.

I also have the cars reg no. and want to see if there is a way to get her insurance details? I want to make a claim as the back panel has been pushed in.

Not sure if I want to involve my insurance, use an accident management company or just try to make a claim via her insurance?

Rides
    Phone your insurance...give them the details...let them do the leg work. It's what you pay them for

Obviously make them aware you have CCTV. They have access to MIB so can easily obtain the R.O details and insurance data

Also because your vehicle was parked their insurance will pay out even if they "forget" to report it. Had that situation myself
    Last edited by m44t-xx; 17-03-2016 at 20:06.

Rides

Rides
    You also need to go to the police and fill out a hit and run form to get a ref no

Rides
    Ok guys thanks for the info. I was told to avoid my insurance incase the other person refuses to pay out and mine has to pay the bill though. Might consider an accident management company for this reason.

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Hi,
    Hope you get it sorted as quickly as possibly.
    Regards,
    Dan.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider r17t View Post
    Ok guys thanks for the info. I was told to avoid my insurance incase the other person refuses to pay out and mine has to pay the bill though. Might consider an accident management company for this reason.
    That's not really how it works. They can't 'refuse'. They're either legally liable or they're not. That's not for them to decide ultimately.

Using an accident management company is essentially knocking up the overall claims cost for your own convenience. First things first is to get the insurer details of the third party and contact them - stating the evidence you have that they are legally liable. Chances are from there they'll contact their policyholder and say that based on the evidence they're going to be held responsible. Next thing is if it's a mainstream insurer they'll likely get your car into their own approved repairer and sort you a courtesy car until you get it back.

Job done.

However - I would say that you MAY suffer an increased premium as a result of the one non fault claim and you SHOULD disclose it to your insurer even if you don't claim through your own policy. May in capitals as it's not a dead cert (I ran a non fault claim through on my aggregator site quotes for reference once and it came back cheaper - go figure) and SHOULD because this depends on how honest you feel, the exact wording of the disclosure question on your statement of fact and how much of a fight you fancy later on down the line should you seek to rely on your own policy and they check CUE and find you've been lying (do you have the technical capability and stamina to have that fight?)

Begs the next question - if you're going to tell them then as said above you've paid for comprehensive cover so use it and let them do the work

Rides
    thanks for the advice and kind words chaps, I think I need to consider my options but risk of increasing my premiums doesnt sit well with me, the whole insurance industry makes me angry but thats another conversation.