Thread: VVT Rattle.... Or maybe not?

Rides

VVT Rattle.... Or maybe not?

Hey all, I recently purchased a s14a with 82k miles on it and its got the vvt rattle, or at least i think so. After i did some searching and reading on here im not too sure if it is a vvt rattle now and am hoping to get some expert opinions on whether or not it is!

Symptoms:

Cold Start - Slight rattle every now and again but most cold starts it won't make any noise.

When Warmed - Loud rattle can occur when sitting idle for a minute or so.

Warm Start - Very loud rattle which persists even after pulling away for a bit and returns when sat idle for 20 seconds or so (at a long traffic light or something).

After a warm start i tried the "put in gear and rev to 1100 rpm or higher" and the loud rattle persisted through the rev range.

Unfortunately this car came with absolutely no service history so am unsure if any of the things that needed changing around 60k-80k have been done and if this would affect the diagnosis.

Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: (Extra info) Warm Engine: In gear and rev to 1100 rpm - seems to quieten but still present above 1100 rpm, revved to about 3-4k rpm and then it goes away when in gear and at idle revs. Otherwise if i just rev to 1100 rpm and then let the revs drop to idle the rattle remains consistent.
    Last edited by rococo; 17-03-2016 at 07:56.

Rides
    If it does eventually go away leaving you with a nice quiet engine and only comes back when it's been idling for a bit I'd put it down to the VVT. My last car did something very similar, except mine would go as soon as I pulled away.

If it was bottom end or something similar it would be constant.

Rides
    Yeah, was pretty sure as it doesnt sound like knocking etc, just read some threads in which some blame a buggered chain tensioner or tappets (correct me if im saying nonsense please!)

Rides
    Bottom end is constant on warm engine only, or cold and warm?

Rides
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zfiu24Kezo

Mine when warm from what i can remember, fix was easy.. a new vvt solenoid

Rides
    yeah sounds like VVT, id try the grounding mod first this may hold it at bay for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    How much are we talking for a replacement solenoid, mine it doing my head in

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by r919ekx200 View Post
    How much are we talking for a replacement solenoid, mine it doing my head in

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    I believe http://www.rhdjapan.com/nissan-oem-v...s14-1n515.html Part Number: 23796-1N515 is the latest one with the nipple/ball bearing thing on the end. I don't know if rhdjapan is the best place just it had a pic

I drove my car this morning when I came to a stop with a warm engine, turned off and turned back on few minutes later and had very loud rattle. I then turned off the engine and unplugged VCT Solenoid. I started the car up again and got the exact same noise.

Did my test prove nothing as I already ran the car with the solenoid plugged in and when the car is started the VCT is off anyway?

Rides
    Just an update:

I took the VCT Solenoid out of my '95 S14(wreck) which had the ball bearing at the end like the 23796-1N515 and swapped it with the solenoid from my '99 S14a (Daily Driver) which didnt have the end bit!

It seems to have cured it completely!

Would make sense as the '95 S14 was on 182k miles before the crash and had no rattle whatsoever.