Thread: Gen 8 Honda Civic - 1.8 Vtec

Rides

Gen 8 Honda Civic - 1.8 Vtec

so have acquired a new vehicle for the mrs....

as awesome as my XC70 has been for the last 7yrs, the mrs job now involves her doing just 2 and 4 mile journeys, and the d5 Volvo isn't made for tarting round town. I am forever clening the Dpf with Italian tuneups.

so she loved her old civic coupe (removed from our ownership by a piss head and T bone across a give way) and now we have a little'un we had been on the lookout for a 5 door civic with petrol engine to replace the Volvo.

so put my offer in today and assuming the MOT goes right on Thursday I will be picking up a '06 1.8 Vtec SE civic with 88K miles and full service history, 1 owner from new.

seems to have a common issue we have found that the plastic outer door handle trim has come loose but other than that is quite a decent place to be, no where near as luxury as a SE Lux Volvo, but nether the less a pretty decent place.

anyhow - anything else to know about these?

and how do I transfer a private no. plate?

Rides
    I know the rear seats fold totally flat on them, which is surprisingly useful when you've got a bunch of stuff to lug around, having the aux/usb connector inside the centre arm rest was always a nice touch too, from memory it was pretty spacious in there as well.

You goto the DVLA to transfer a private plate, pay a small fee etc.

Has it got the zizzy-uppy wing mirrors on it??

Rides
    I have that car - from new, 100k on it now. We looked at trading it in for a new one a year ago but the test drive in the latest one seemed no different to the one we have. It still feels quite new and it's over £20k for the equivalent car now.

Had a bit of an expensive service a few years ago changing the belts - but apart from that it still sails through MoTs every year. Clutch, exhaust etc all original still. All electrics work. They seem really solid underneath compared to some other similar age cars.

The trim around the mud flaps and sills tends to rip loose. The rear seats lift up as well - can be useful once a decade or so.

As for driving - steering is sharp and it has a good turning circle. It's reasonably fast, good fuel economy.

Handling and ride have been criticised....

Rides
    Looks like it will fit the bill for short trips work and shops while carrying kiddy in comfort perfectly then,

That's good news, as I bought it without really looking into them

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Just seen this - what do you want to know ?

Rides
    All here and swapped over now - I bought it without really looking into them at all, common faults etc... But it seems good and I had forgotten how much fun revs are to play with after a few years of dervs.

Only negative I have at the moment is the state of the roads for a normal car, we have the xc70 and terrano which are much happier going over part decintigrated speed bumps and pot holes

Rides
    I had a 2011 1.8 VTEC Si for just over a year and it sucked the life out of me.

It didn't go wrong, it had leather seats and satnav etc. but it was just so mundane and boring and made me feel like I'd given up on life. It was hard to sell too.

I sold it for 4K less than I bought it for after putting around 10K miles on it and bought an old Jag XJ8 for 2K....Aaaaahhhh, that's better.

I've now sold the Jag and bought a new 1.0 3-cylinder Polo that cost about the same as the 3-yr-old Civic, has sports seats and a turbo, gives better mpg, gets to 60 quicker and is a more involving drive.

I only mention the Polo in case you think its just me being prejudiced against FWD hatches.

Rides
    I know what you mean, it's pretty far from exciting but meets the requirements for now....

Already getting silly ideas about a DC5 teggy once kiddy winkle is out of the iso fix car seat

Rides
    Tbh I cant see you having any issues with it

I keep trying to get the mrs into one but says its too small and not a fan of the visibility so shes going to end up in an Accord tourer !

The door handle is common and doable at home.
    We see the odd battery drain caused by the interior fuse box and the odd alarm issue due to the bonnet catch.
    Wheel arch trims pop out and snap clips but only if the get hit
    If you ever need to jump start it or charge it etc always have the keys out the ignition when connecting anything or it gets expensive !

Like most of the brand they are relaible although a tad boring - hence why im debating a move to Citroen !

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran O'Quick View Post
    As for driving - steering is sharp and it has a good turning circle.
    How long ago did you drive a 200SX?

Honda Civic gen 8 do not have a good turning circle 11m. A quick search shows lots of people that have found it much worse than many other cars.

Gen 9 model is improved 10.8m but only just scrapes into a top 10 list.
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...-for-2014.html

Hyundai and Kia clearly care about turning circle. Porsche could clearly do better with a RWD car. Beaten by a whale of a Caddie and Merc, Honda clearly couldn't give a rats arse as their fans will still buy. Toyota/Subaru is challenged by its boxer engine making for a wide engine bay, only way to get more lock would have been to make it wider. Even the 370Z isn't that good at 10m but much better than the steaming pile of crap that the 350Z was - same 10.8m as last Civic.

I suggest you go do a 3 point turn with a 200SX and find out what a proper GOOD turning circle is - 9.5m same as MX5.

Rides
    Don't know about that - the civic will turn around very nicely, I managed to swing it round my mates yard the other day where the sx either had to be 3 pointed or slid round to complete the 180.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    Don't know about that - the civic will turn around very nicely, I managed to swing it round my mates yard the other day where the sx either had to be 3 pointed or slid round to complete the 180.
    Are you going wall to wall? Finding wall to wall is close to impossible. But RX-8 needs an extra 2 foot. Civic is still a mystery.
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/car-...azda_rx-8_2007

Having the wheels right at the corners and the way its nose tapers means the Civic wall is possibly like the RX-8 only a foot or 2 bigger than kerb to kerb.

S13 is probably better than S14 for wall to wall as S13 has more taper to the nose. The S13's front lip is further back aiding kerb to kerb when kerb is a bit high.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    Are you going wall to wall? Finding wall to wall is close to impossible. But RX-8 needs an extra 2 foot. Civic is still a mystery.
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/car-...azda_rx-8_2007

Having the wheels right at the corners and the way its nose tapers means the Civic wall is possibly like the RX-8 only a foot or 2 bigger than kerb to kerb.

S13 is probably better than S14 for wall to wall as S13 has more taper to the nose. The S13's front lip is further back aiding kerb to kerb when kerb is a bit high.