Thread: what is the largest wing mount intercooler for an s13??

Rides

what is the largest wing mount intercooler for an s13??

hi people quick question

what is the largest wing mount intercooler I can run on an s13

from what ive hurd an s15 is the largest, is this true and are they a staright fit?

and is a skyline wing mount larger than a s15 cooler

any help much appreciated

don't want to run a front mount

Rides
    Probably the GReddy one

Rides
    Think ARC also did one.

Also, S15 is is a good upgrade.

Rides
    Just fit a front mount, a wing mount is never going to be as good and finding a decent upgrade item isn't easy.

Rides
    Norris WMIC is I think the thickest. Nice bit of kit, wish I'd never sold mine (for too little ) but hard to find. Works well up to stage 2, not big enough for stage 3.

Agree you'd be better off putting the effort into a front mount.

Rides
    ok cheers for the replies as stated not intrested in a front mount , will have a search for some of the recommended wing mounts

Rides
    I don't think they've been available for a long old while so you're going to have to wait for one to pop up second hand.

and hope it's not got a ****ing huge hole in it.

Rides
    What about one of the ones you suggested and an intercooler spray or even better use water injection as I presume your trying to keep a cosmetically stock looking car the pumps ect would be easy to hide away

Rides
    brought this one, going to run an electric fan on the back of it , if any one has a pair of standard s13 intercooler brackets hit me up with a pm

Quote Originally Posted by cortinamini View Post
    For sale is a ah fabrications custom uprated Nissan s13 200sx wing mounted intercooler. Bolts straight on the original brackets under the left hand headlight, behind the bumper. It measures 350mm x 200mm x 70mm with 50mm inlets and outlets. This is a beautifully made intercooler In a good used condition. £100 ono 07909901976 Cheltenham

Rides
    I'd not heard of AH Fabrications before though I see their sticker on the top, and they seem to have a good rep in the Motorsport world.

If it wasn't for that I would have had no hesitation in saying that that was definitely a Norris WMIC*.

While it's not a Norris it looks like a very very faithful copy of a Norris with the same robust build, depth of core and quality welds. Looks good, should do the job.

One important tip: do fit and use the OEM plastic "duckbill" air intake pipe from the bumper to the front of it. It may look daft but it is a carefully crafted and designed duct with a very clever venturi effect, accelerating the high pressure air from the bumper vent to and through the intercooler to best effect. I know you say you will be using an electric fan behind it, but even so, electric fans themselves are no guarantee of any greater efficiency unless properly ducted and shrouded. The air just takes the easy route round the sides unless forced.

Bit of a black art, airflow, but it is important when you are hiding the intercooler out of any direct airflow.

* I wonder, did Norris perhaps have its intercoolers made for them by AH ? Hmmm

Rides
    cheers for the reply mate much appreciated, I will try and source a oem duct and get it in ther too

any one reading this with a std duct chuck me a pm

Rides
    Running a fan with the WMIC is just going to block the air flow through the IC.

It "might" have some nominal benefit below 30 mph but above that, its just going to get in the way.

Rides
    How come we use fans on radiators surely it's the same principle only difference is what's in the core water or air it's still the same surrounding core that does the cooling from air coming forward on to and thru it

Rides
    Fans are to provide flow when there is none. It needs to be cowled in to form a tunnel and it does impede flow across a radiator at higher speeds but for water cooling you don't care as you are just trying to stop the water getting too hot. With an ic you want to cool the air as much as possible at peak power when it is gulping air as that gives you a better bang when you need it.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Air / air heat exchanger uses 50% of frontal area for cooling air going front to back and 50% for hot inlet air going x-wise.

Water /air heat exchanger uses around 75% frontal area for cooling air and 25% for water and air /water inter-cooler has 75% x-section for hot inlet air and 25% for cooling water.

This means you get about 150% the cooling air flow though a wing mount water cooler compared to a air / air cooler. You do have to find space in engine bay for the charge-cooler but this can be better geometry. Overall it would be about 3/4 of a FMIC.

Or you mount a water cooler in the air con condenser space and have a proper big charge cooler.

Rides
    Ok great to get some good informative replays cheers

To add to any one looking at this post in the future I found the factory r34 gt intercooler is a known upgrade for skyline r32,33 it's quite a bit bigger so maybe the largest stock wing mount for a cheep upgrade much bigger than the stock s body wmic

Scroll to the bottom of this post for pics

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/1...-capacity.html

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by aceymac View Post
    Ok great to get some good informative replays cheers

To add to any one looking at this post in the future I found the factory r34 gt intercooler is a known upgrade for skyline r32,33 it's quite a bit bigger so maybe the largest stock wing mount for a cheep upgrade much bigger than the stock s body wmic

Scroll to the bottom of this post for pics

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/1...-capacity.html
    Same as the S15 cooler

Rides
    I have an S15 WMIC with all brackets and cowling , PM me if someone wants to buy it.