Thread: Handling problems

Rides

Handling problems

A few months ago I changed my standard wheels for 9.5j Rota grid drifts, last week I had the drivers ball joint changed as it had a lot of play, since I've noticed when going round left hand corners over 40 the steering wanders left and right, kind of feels like when you have a matchbox car and the axle is loose, it feels really sketchy

Not sure what it could be, I had the alignment done last year when I had my coil overs fitted so not sure if it could be that or maybe the tension rods need changing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rides
    Its most likely you had the alignment done with a worn ball joint and now its fixed its thrown things out. You just need to check the side that has been done but also check the other side as it maybe just as worn. Your then going to need to get it realigned I am afraid

Rides
    They should have done an alignment after doing the ball joint tbh the old count the turns theory is OK on a saxo ect

Rides
    All the other ball joints are solid, it was just the OSF that had play, going to get the geometry setup in the next week, tempted to get a set of tension rods to throw on at the same time.

Is there much difference between cheaper ones and the more expensive £120 ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    The main difference will be if you want bushes or rose joints

The durability of the ball joints may vary with price

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Chances are if you only had the one balljoint done then the other is on its way out too. Are the front tc arms standard also as these bushes tend to split and oose giving you a ropey feel.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Are these any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/301399505538

Rides
    I'm sure they would be okay initially it's just how long they would last my bet would be the first month of winter

Rides
    Well the tie rod ends are ok cos I replaced the drivers side, the ball joints are all solid now so I want to change the steering bushes at some point soon, the steering arms and the tension rods.

I'd do them all now but I need new rear pads and discs as well as redstuff pads in a couple of months, plus new steering wheel and get the wheels refurbed, it's all money at the end of the day cos it's bleeding me dry, always something

Rides
    I've got the same problem! Replaced all bushes to poly bushes and replaced inner tie rods and track rod ends and lower ball joints on the front end, I still have snatchy steering! I'm thinking maybe steering rack on the way out.

Rides
    For a daily driver I wouldn't use either ball joints or poly bushes as they make the car harsh and the ball joints dont last.

If the steering is snatchy what settings and wheel size etc are you running?

Rides
    Running rota grids 9.5 front 10 rear and had a fast road alignment set up done recently. The lower control arms have to have ball joints don't they? What else could you use?.

Rides
    Yeah they have ball joints as well, could maybe be the subframe bushes or steering rack bushes?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsx View Post
    For a daily driver I wouldn't use either ball joints or poly bushes as they make the car harsh and the ball joints dont last.

If the steering is snatchy what settings and wheel size etc are you running?
    He's talking about the balljoints on the lower arms which are standard and hold the hubs to the car I believe.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    He's talking about the balljoints on the lower arms which are standard and hold the hubs to the car I believe.
    This. Any one had snatchy steering that turned out to be steering rack bushes?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Yeah my rack bushes were so bad I could shake the rack, it's worth checking for play on the rack bushes.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Ahh ok its just the link he showed was for tie rods not lower arms

Rides
    I think I'm going to put my standard wheels on this weekend and see what it's like, I think the 9.5j wheels with 215 tyres don't help the situation really.

If the standard wheels help I guess I'll need to change the tyres and get the arches roller or sell the wheels and get some 8-8.5j ones instead.